News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

want to use obi200 in jamaica with google voice to call the USA. can this work?

Started by damarc, August 29, 2019, 09:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damarc

At this point i'll even pay for it, but if i can do this free even better. I bought a OBi200 from amazon. had it here in the USA. set it up with a GV account. i was able to pick up the phone and dial a US based number while in the US. Took the Obi200 to Jamaica, now it doesn't work
HardwareVersion   1.4      
SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)
from the USA if i dial the GV number it just goes to voicemail eventually. the phone in jamaica does not ring. 
Any guidance please...

drgeoff

Quote from: damarc on August 29, 2019, 09:50:43 PM
At this point i'll even pay for it, but if i can do this free even better. I bought a OBi200 from amazon. had it here in the USA. set it up with a GV account. i was able to pick up the phone and dial a US based number while in the US. Took the Obi200 to Jamaica, now it doesn't work
HardwareVersion   1.4      
SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX)
from the USA if i dial the GV number it just goes to voicemail eventually. the phone in jamaica does not ring. 
Any guidance please...
I would have expected that to work. But you have not reported any diagnostics, not even the status of the OBi200's LEDs.

First thing you need to check is whether the 200 has a connection to the internet. Either:

1. From the phone plugged in to the 200, dial **9 222 222 222.You should reach the echo test and hear "Welcome to Obitalk and the ...."

or

2. Log in to your dashboard at obitalk.com. For your OBi200 does the status column contain a green dot or a grey dot?

If the echo test call fails or if you see a grey dot you need to troubleshoot the OBi's connection to its local router/modem and onward to the internet.

damarc

From USA i can connect to the dashboard and see the OBI device. In the dashboard, the Obi device does show a green dot under status. mouse over says "online".  under that i have the SP1 GV account and its status says "connected".

we did a test call today from the phone attached to that device to a USA-number of a phone in florida. the Obi end picked up, heard dial tone called but then didn't hear anything after that.  On the USA end, the regular phone rang multiple times then when we picked up we heard nothing. So the call went through, but no one could hear each other.

I'll be able to do the echo test tonight.

damarc

Yes the echo test did work. and it seems hit or miss when placing a call from the obi device on whether it rings to the USA phone or not.  even when it rings and i pick up then there is nothing on the line. just dead air.

drgeoff

Quote from: damarc on August 30, 2019, 02:22:03 PM
Yes the echo test did work. and it seems hit or miss when placing a call from the obi device on whether it rings to the USA phone or not.  even when it rings and i pick up then there is nothing on the line. just dead air.
Is the OBi on a typical home router on a residential internet service?  Or in some corporate/industrial/educational etc type situation?

damarc

its on a typical home router. on an ISDN connection 20mbs down/2 mbs up.
I guess part of my question is, should this setup work as i'm thinking it should? outside the US and all?  thanks for your continued help.

drgeoff

Quote from: damarc on September 01, 2019, 06:56:02 AM
its on a typical home router. on an ISDN connection 20mbs down/2 mbs up.
I guess part of my question is, should this setup work as i'm thinking it should? outside the US and all?  thanks for your continued help.
I cannot confirm the specific case of Jamaica but there is nothing intrinsic about the OBi200 device or Google Voice which prevents an already configured device from working outside the US.  Several posters here including myself can attest to that from personal experience.  There are countries where the government or telcos deliberately block VoIP for political or business reasons but I would not expect Jamaica to be one of them.

The facts that the echo test works, the dashboard shows the OBi200 as online and GV as connected mean that basic network connectivity is OK.  You could try changing the OBi's DNS to eg 8.8.8.8.  And if the router has the option for it, tun of "SIP ALG".

damarc

That's why they pay you the big bucks.. that worked! well i'm not sure which one, but i did change the DNS to google's DNS's and i also disabled SIP ALG on the modem's firewall and like that we could get bi-directional calls working. Thanks a million.

drgeoff