News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Initial OBi110 minimal setup

Started by DrBourne, August 09, 2019, 11:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrBourne

Hey Guys,
I am completely lost. I am wanting to use(initially) simply to make and receive calls(PSTN) only. No VOIP service at this point.

With Obi powered;
   Incoming calls get busy signal.
   Calling out attempts result in 'No service configured error, please long on to ObiTalk.com ......
   No problem accessing the IVR

With power removed;
   absolutely nothing, like dead line.

As I understand it, the Obi, when powered off, is supposed to be transparent, as if it wasn't there. Mine does not.

I've been skimming the fourum and reading what docs I have available, but, a lot of it is 'greek' to me. Not quite computer illiterate, been a software developer for years. Though I am a total noob when it comes to PBX, ATAs, etc...

I've had my Obi for a couple of weeks now. Unsuccessfully attempted to configure it using examples from;
   1. How to set up the Obihai OBi110 as a PSTN gateway
   2. Mango's Guide to Configuring an OBi......
   plus others.

I have FreePBX(Asterisk) installed on a Pi 3 B+, though at this point, not utilized, except as directed when following some of the 'guides', which did not work.
If I cannot make or receive calls using Obi only, no need to involve FreePBX.

Current:
   OBi110 HW 3.4, SW 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) recently updated from 2815M.
   Incoming telco line to 'LINE' port of Obi;
   Telephone attached to 'PHONE' port;
   Ethernet connected to router.
   Power light: Green
   Ethernet light: blinks with activity
   Phone light: off, except when active
   Line light: solid green

Static addressing
   IPAddress   192.168.254.30
   SubnetMask   255.255.255.0
   DefaultGateway   192.168.254.254
   DNSServer1   8.8.8.8
   DNSServer2   8.8.4.4

Auto Firmware Update: Disabled
   ITSP Provisioning: Disabled
   OBiTalk Provisioning: Disabled
   OBiTALK Service Settings: Disabled
   Line and Phone ports: Enabled
   Voice Services: both Disabled

STATUS
Parameter       Phone Port Status   Line Port Status
Name
State            On Hook            On Hook
LoopCurrent      0 mA               0 mA
VBAT            58 V (11.8 V)         -4 V
TipRingVoltage      45 V
LastCallerInfo      --               --

Other settings at default

Suggestions?
Thnx

drgeoff

1. Initial hardware versions of the 110 contained a relay which connected the LINE and PHONE jacks when unpowered.  That relay was removed in later versions such as 3.4 so yes, "dead" when unpowered.

2.  Something is amiss with your LINE port.  Off-hook but connected to a POTS line, mine is showing a blank against VBAT and 52 for TipRingVoltage.

3.  The last and last firmware is 2886.  Obtainable from thread in the Firmware section of the forum.  (However that alone will not cure any of your issues.)

4.  An OBi110 that has been reset to factory defaults will have the PrimaryLine set to LINE.  The default digit maps and OutBoundCallRoute should permit you to make POTS/PSTN calls by dialling numbers as usual.

DrBourne

Thanks drgeoff, for your reply.

I upgraded to 2886, did a factory reset, leaving EVERYTHING to defaults.
In and Out calls; no change, but now both LINE and PHONE port lights are green.
Does that indicate anything?

Thnx again.

drgeoff

Quote from: DrBourne on August 10, 2019, 08:37:07 AM
Thanks drgeoff, for your reply.

I upgraded to 2886, did a factory reset, leaving EVERYTHING to defaults.
In and Out calls; no change, but now both LINE and PHONE port lights are green.
Does that indicate anything?

Thnx again.

Does your "In and Out calls; no change" mean that merely inserting the powered up OBi between a phone and PSTN line results in no calls in or out despite both being OK when phone and PSTN line are directly connected?

Line port LED solid green indicates the OBi is sensing the PSTN line is plugged in and has volts on it. But if status is still showing -4 that is much too low. LED should flash when incoming call is ringing. IIRC it should also flash (at different rate?) when line in use.

Dialling a single # should connect the phone to the line. You should hear the dial tone change from the OBi's internal one to the dial tone from the external line. On hearing that external dial tone you should be able to dial PSTN numbers successfully.

Another thought is that OBis require tone dialling. Pulse dialled numbers are ignored. But your opening post said you can access the IVR so phone must be tone dialling.

DrBourne

Again, many thanks for your time and insights.
But, I surrender. Evidently I have a defective device.
Considering an Obi212. I really need the PSTN line. Do you know if the 212 has the PSTN/LINE relay missing from the 110?

drgeoff

Quote from: DrBourne on August 10, 2019, 04:28:50 PM
Again, many thanks for your time and insights.
But, I surrender. Evidently I have a defective device.
Considering an Obi212. I really need the PSTN line. Do you know if the 212 has the PSTN/LINE relay missing from the 110?

I think a 212 does but I don't have one so cannot test to confirm.