News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Emergency need for Obi200 SLIC bypass

Started by n4mwd, August 28, 2019, 04:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n4mwd

A hurricane is coming.

I have an Obi200 which was working flawlessly with the USB Bluetooth connection to a dedicated cell phone.  It was also registered to my VOIP provider.  If the internet connection went down for any reason, the VOIP provider would forward calls to the cell phone and the Obi200 would pick them up on Bluetooth and send the call to the handsets.  Making calls worked similarly when the net was down.

Like I said, it WAS working flawlessly.  The other day, we seem to have been either hit by lightning or a surge or some sort.  The obi and most of the modem and router stuff are on a DC isolated power supply.  Several items on the RJ-45 network lines were blown out as well.

The OBI200 seems perfectly fine except that the line voltage is zero which means that there is no connection to the handsets.  Rebooting and such do nothing.  I have ordered an OBI302 as a replacement, but it will not get here until after the hurricane hits on monday. 

THE QUESTION

I have a grandstream that I am using temporarily until the new Obi comes.  I need the Bluetooth function to work.  Is there any way to make the OBI connect to the cell phone via Bluetooth and then somehow relay to the grandstream for SLIC connection to the handsets.  The solution can rely on a local network, but not anything on the Internet.  Is this even possible?

SECOND QUESTION

Can the OBI200 be fixed?  Is there maybe a little fuse in there or something?

The hurricane is expected to hit between Sunday and Monday about 2pm.

SteveInWA

No, you cannot repair the 200.  It's not a fuse issue.  The SLIC is a self-contained, large-scale IC, which is not user replaceable.

Why did you order a 302?  I hope you realize that it a) can't support Google Voice, and b) unless you bought it from an authorized reseller as new, it might be locked to a previous service provider.  This product is primarily intended to be sold by service providers, locked to their service, and not sold at retail.

It's not worth the time to dink around with your kludge solution.  You have a f-ing hurricane coming.  Use that time to get ready, and if it hits, just use your cell phone, you know, like a cell phone.

Sometimes, a technology "just because I can" solution isn't worth it.

azrobert

OBi200
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: OBi200
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: bt
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_UserAgentPort: 5063

Voice Services -> OBiBlueTooth1 -> InboundCallRoute: sp4(grandstream@xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp)
Replace xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp with the IP address and port of the Grandstream

Grandstream
Primary SIP Server: yy.yy.yy.yy:5063
Replace yy.yy.yy.yy with the IP address of your OBi200
5063 is the User Agent Port of SP4

SIP User ID: grandstream
SIP Registration: No

Inbound BT calls will be routed to the GrandStream
Outbound Grandstream will be routed to BT

n4mwd

n4mwd

With this configuration, what happens if the normal registration is working properly and a call is made on the grandstream?  Will it route to the BT or go out the regular VOIP provider? 

Thanks.

azrobert

I don't know what model Grandstream you own. I have a HT701 that only supports one provider. In this case the above config all calls will go to BT. I had an older model that supported 2 lines. One line can route to BT and the other an SIP provider.

You can do this:
Delete the SIP provider from the Grandstream and define it on the OBi200 SP1.
Make the following change to the above config:
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{>(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>xxxxxxxxxx):sp1},{>(<**8:>(1xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxx)):bt}

10 and 11 digits will route to SP1.
**8 followed by 7, 10 or 11 digits will route to BT.

or

Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{>(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>xxxxxxxxxx):sp1},{>(<8:>(1xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxx)):bt}
8 followed by 7, 10 or 11 digits will route to BT.

You can do everything a working OBi200 can do except speed dials. You can define the equivalent of speed dials using rules in the inbound route.

Edit:
I forgot inbound SP1.
Voice Services -> SP1 -> X_InboundCallRoute: sp4(grandstream@xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp)

n4mwd

Basically, the working configuration would send outgoing calls to the VOIP provider and then to the BT if the VOiP provider was down.  This was all automatic.  The Grandstream is an HT702, it has 2 lines, but still only supports one provider per line. 

So if I understand your configuration, the Grandstream uses the Obi as a VOIP server.  So wouldn't the decision as to where to route the outgoing call be done in the obi?

This phone system is for elderly people who can't easily operate a cell phone so varying dialing patterns would not work. 

There are fuel shortages already so I have enough gas to get over there one time on Saturday and no more.   The storm just got upgraded to a Cat 4 which is 135 mph constant w/ 160 mph gusts.  Cat 5 is expected.  Fuel shortages are usually even worse after the storm.  Its supposed to hit Sunday/Monday.

azrobert

OBi200

Define SIP provider on SP1

Voice Services -> SP1 Service:
X_NoRegNoCall: Checked
X_InboundCallRoute: sp4(grandstream@xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: OBi200
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: tg1
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_UserAgentPort: 5063

Voice Services -> OBiBlueTooth1 -> DigitMap: (xx.)
Voice Services -> OBiBlueTooth1 -> InboundCallRoute: sp4(grandstream@xx.xx.xx.xx:pppp)

Voice Services -> Gateways and TGs -> Trunk Group 1
Trunk List: sp1,bt
DigitMap: (xx.)

Grandstream
Primary SIP Server: yy.yy.yy.yy:5063
Replace yy.yy.yy.yy with the IP address of your OBi200
5063 is the User Agent Port of SP4

SIP User ID: grandstream
SIP Registration: No

Inbound SP1 and BT calls will be routed to the GrandStream

Outbound Grandstream will be routed to SP1
If call fails, it will be re-routed to BT

I'll check on Saturday if you're having problems. I won't be available after 2:00PM your time.

n4mwd

Thanks, you have been very helpful.

I will try to get over there early on Saturday in case I need to contact you.

azrobert

We have 3 local area codes. We must dial 10 digits when calling a local number and 7 digits when calling our own area code. Do the following if you need the same.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A General -> DigitMap:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>xxxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.)
Replace aaa with your local area code.

Voice Services -> OBiBlueTooth1 -> DigitMap:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|011xx.)

10 and 7 digits will be transformed to 11 digits for your SIP provider on SP1, but will be unchanged when the call fails and is re-routed to BT.

n4mwd

In my county, they only have one area code - 561.  The original dial plan would route differently depending on the sequence of digits.  If 1 is the first digit, then it expects 10 more digits and then automatically sends with the "S0" suffix.  I think it was something like <1xxxxxxxxxxS0>.  Local numbers were something like <[2-9]xxxxxxS0>.  The OBI is configured for both Callcentric and my asterisk server.  So something like <xxxx> is also there, but a # must be hit to send it to asterisk.  The BT stuff is on top of all that.

The hurricane landfall dropped closer and is getting stronger.  Wont get here until Tuesday morning though.

n4mwd

I tried to get the configuration working properly, but I failed.  I may play with it again later.  Or, since the warranty is expired, try to crack it open and repair the hardware.

Fortunately, the hurricane is now headed off shore so the emergency is mostly abated.  We might still get some tropical storm stuff or maybe some cat 1 hurricane winds, but nothing like the 190 mph gusts that we were looking at before.

Thanks again for your help.

SteveInWA

Like I said:  there are no user-serviceable parts inside.  Period.

n4mwd

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2019, 05:32:07 PM
No, you cannot repair the 200.  It's not a fuse issue.  The SLIC is a self-contained, large-scale IC, which is not user replaceable.

The issue is that the line voltage is zero.  I cracked it open.  It uses a Silicon Labs SI32260-C-FM1  SLIC chip that costs about $6.  I suspect that the chip is fine, but rather the DC-DC converters have bad caps and or diodes.  Its probably doable, but like I said, I have more important things to do right now and I have a 302 on the way.

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2019, 05:32:07 PMWhy did you order a 302?  I hope you realize that it a) can't support Google Voice, and b) unless you bought it from an authorized reseller as new, it might be locked to a previous service provider.  This product is primarily intended to be sold by service providers, locked to their service, and not sold at retail.

I don't use GV so the 302 should work OK.  I'm getting it from Amazon and there is no indication that its used or locked.  I already have another one that's being used at my house.  I remember that it required activation with ObiHau to get it to work right.  The only issue I've had with it is that the ring current was not as advertised.  I think it said Ren 5, but more like a REN 2.

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 28, 2019, 05:32:07 PMIt's not worth the time to dink around with your kludge solution.  You have a f-ing hurricane coming.  Use that time to get ready, and if it hits, just use your cell phone, you know, like a cell phone.

Sometimes, a technology "just because I can" solution isn't worth it.

The elderly people where this is at cannot use cell phones.  Things would be a lot simpler if they would.

drgeoff

The description of the SLIC in the summary data sheet includes

"A pair of built-in dc-dc converter controllers can be used to automatically generate the optimal battery voltage required for each line-state".

I fully expect the SLIC is not fine and would need to be replaced. True it is $6 but have you the means and expertise to remove that 60 pin device without causing damage to the circuit board?

n4mwd

Normally yes, but in this case, I noticed that the board has parts on both sides.  This usually means that there are two types of solder used that have different melting points.  This makes trying to desolder the chip a bit like playing russian roulette.  Still possible though, just harder.  Probably would cost more than the $50 to buy a new one.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if this is a common failure of the obi200?

SteveInWA

SMH.

I never understand people who think it is worth their time to sink hours and hours of research and fiddling time on repairing low-cost, disposable consumer electronics, vs. buying a new one.  Nor do I understand someone who would waste so much time fiddling around with this, vs. dealing with a hurricane or otherwise making better use of their lives.  Just because it is theoretically possible to do something, doesn't make it worthwhile.

Nor do I understand how anyone could jeopardize the health and safety of elderly people with a home-cobbled kludge solution.

I call BS on the "can't use a cell phone".  If someone can push keys on a standard PSTN telephone, then they can push keys on a senior-friendly, big-button cell phone.  Consumer Cellular, for example, sells zillions of these phones to seniors.

If vision or dexterity problems are a barrier, then a smart speaker like an Amazon Echo Dot or Google Home Mini that can make calls via voice commands ("Call Bill") is a cheap and effective solution.

As Geoff pointed out, and as I have said twice already, you cannot fix this yourself.  You'd need a commercial-class SMD de-soldering and soldering system, and the packaging for this chip is very sensitive to excessive heat during soldering.  It is not a DIY repair, to say the least.  And NO, there are no components external to this module that would cause the failure.  This is not a military-grade product, and yes, the SLIC is the front-line to the external world of power surges, lightening strikes and other failures that will fry the device.  If you want to avoid this, install surge protectors on ALL the things attached to the AC and telephone wiring, including a device like a APC PTEL2 to protect the analog phone line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_Flat_No-leads_package

https://www.apc.com/shop/bi/en/products/APC-ProtectNet-standalone-surge-protector-for-analog-DSL-phone-lines-2-lines-4-wires-/P-PTEL2

n4mwd

No offense, but you greatly over estimate the intellectual abilities of an elderly person with dementia.

You win.  I promise not to try to fix this one. 

The kludge was to make it work with Bluetooth since the only working ATA that I have available is a grandstream which doesn't support BT.  Echo and that stuff requires an internet connection, but if thats still working, I wouldn't need BT to bypass the VOIP provider.

I ordered a new obi302 on amazon almost a week ago and it still hasn't even shipped. 

The hurricane is coming back this way, but still turning north.  Wind gusts up to 220 mph.  Its the biggest one I have ever heard of.  If it turns north like they say, then we'll only see cat 1 force winds which is nice picnic weather for old time Floridians like myself.