News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please develop OBiON for WebOS, specifically the HP Touchpad!

Started by MxChris, September 17, 2011, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxChris

First off let me say I absolutely love my Obi100, it was a great purchase and ditching my landline is a great feeling! Thanks for making such a simple yet powerful product, I wish every hardware purchase I made was this good.

I, like many many other people purchased a 32gb HP Touchpad and would absolutely love a way to connect to my Obi100 with it. I have the application for my Android phone and on my daughters iPod touch and they work great, it would be fantastic to have the same functionality on my tablet.

From what I've read development for WebOS isn't very painful in comparison to other platforms. The best thing about developing for WebOS is that you can make one app (designed for WebOS phones) and it will be compatible on the tablets also. A tablet version could also be created but I personaly don't think that extra work is necessary, it would be fantastic but not entirely necessary.

There are a boatload of people with WebOS phones and tablets, many I'm sure have your product and would also like this functionality. The more platforms you support the more devices you'll sell. WebOS is not going anywhere anytime soon (HP has promised that and so has the open source community) and all those firesale devices (phones AND tablets) are flooding the market, it's a whole new wave of customers out there for you!

Please please please!

infin8loop

Yeah, WebOS isn't going anywhere.  Like OS2, BetaMax, VHS, and HD-DVD didn't go anywhere.  I don't know, when I saw devices up for sale on W 8) 8) T! (geekspeak for "landfill in Carrollton, TX"), it didn't look so good.

And...
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/TouchPad-Pre-3-Palm-webOS-Best-Buy,news-12229.html

If it's not something it's something else...

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

MxChris

Way to threadcrap!

If you're not onboard the Touchpad train why are you posting here?

I especially like your linking to an article that speculates HP will dump the remaining inventory into landfills, posted the day PRIOR to the infamous fire sale where all US inventory sold out in mere hours.

Counter useless link: http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/08/hp-brass-say-they-are-committed-to-webos-software-all-options-remain-open-in-hp-gbu-all-hands-on-meeting/

tome

Quote from: MxChris on September 18, 2011, 03:04:13 PM
Way to threadcrap!

If you're not onboard the Touchpad train why are you posting here?

I especially like your linking to an article that speculates HP will dump the remaining inventory into landfills, posted the day PRIOR to the infamous fire sale where all US inventory sold out in mere hours.

Counter useless link: http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/08/hp-brass-say-they-are-committed-to-webos-software-all-options-remain-open-in-hp-gbu-all-hands-on-meeting/

Not taking sides, but the link you posted is from the webos cognoscenti.  There are literally hundreds of links regarding HP dumping these things.  I read several back in Aug as well.

But, no matter, you are free to request a feature.  Obi can decide to do it if they believe there is a market.

Tom

infin8loop

My original post could have been more diplomatic.  The point I was trying to make (albeit with sarcasm) is that the future of webOS/HP Touchpad seems to be in doubt. Therefore, one might conclude that future development for it might not be readily forthcoming.

Now HP seems to be toying with us.  I found this statement on the HP website: "Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don't know exactly when these units will be available or how many we'll get, and we can't promise we'll have enough for everyone. We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase.".

I guess time will tell if this is anything more than one last money grab. 

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Ostracus

Quote from: infin8loop on September 18, 2011, 09:46:44 PM
My original post could have been more diplomatic.  The point I was trying to make (albeit with sarcasm) is that the future of webOS/HP Touchpad seems to be in doubt. Therefore, one might conclude that future development for it might not be readily forthcoming.

Now HP seems to be toying with us.  I found this statement on the HP website: "Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don't know exactly when these units will be available or how many we'll get, and we can't promise we'll have enough for everyone. We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase.".

I guess time will tell if this is anything more than one last money grab. 

Well there's speculation that's simple HP trying to exhaust the stock of parts they otherwise would throw away. Anyway there's talk of porting Android to the platform rendering moot the issue of an ObiAPP.

Blake

I would love to see an app for webos. It is not a dead OS like many believe. It will carry on in other systems so it would be a great idea to get this app out there for obi users that have a webos device. I wish I had the abilities to do this myself b/c it is a much needed feature.