News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to edit the contacts list???

Started by dwarven1, February 24, 2020, 08:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

I have a couple of 1062s. I've been looking all morning on this board but cannot find one piece of information that I need to make this phone more usable: I see that I can import my Google contacts list, and I can completely erase it.

But how the hell do I edit it? If I add a new contact, do I need to erase the phone's contact list and re-import?

For that matter, I have a lot of contacts in my Google list that are people that I've worked with over the last 30 years, but who I do not call on a regular basis - how to I get them out of the phone contact list? I don't want to delete them entirely; I may reach out to them someday. But I don't want them on my desk phone.

From what I see, this is the most primitive interface for contacts ever devised - even a paper "little black book" has a way to add and delete phone numbers!

Someone, please tell me I'm wrong and that there is a way to edit this.

drgeoff

dwarven1

Well, that's an improvement; thank you. I wasn't pressing the checkmark, so I wasn't seeing the option to remove just the entry, only the option to remove all.

But I'd still like to be able to edit it from my PC - either a web interface, or by exporting my Google Contacts list to a CSV file and being able to import the CSV file. Doing it from the keypad is not the fastest method...

SteveInWA

The contacts function on the IP phones is more useful in a corporate environment, where an enterprise directory service can be used.  The Google Contacts import function is limited to importing the full Contacts list, and optionally, editing individual entries on the phone.

I don't have a solution for the "I want this contact to remain in Google Contacts, but not on the phone" scenario.  The best place to manage (add, change, delete) Google Contacts is on a laptop/desktop web browser, using Google Contact's tools.  Since importing the contacts list is so fast, I periodically delete the entire list off of the phone, and then re-import it from the Google cloud.

https://contacts.google.com/

N7AS

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

"...this method..."

Do you mean manually editing a contact from the phone's on-screen GUI?  Sure, why not?  The 2182 uses the same GUI (with some model-specific button changes) as the 1000 series.

To precisely answer your question:  I am standing right in front of one of my 2182s, and yes, it works.

N7AS

Thanks Steve,

I remember before I got my 2182, on The 1032 I had to import from my cellphone via Bluetooth and found out if I didn't' erase all of the contacts from the 1032 I would have each contact listed twice. I did try to edit the 1032 from the phone GUI and things got screwed up somehow. I will try to edit the 2182 sometime when I do have to change a contact.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

SteveInWA

Overall, it isn't practical to manage contacts via the phone's GUI.  As you noted, all you can do is import the contacts from Google Contacts.  If you edit a contact on the phone, it isn't synced back to Google Contacts, and you can't synchronize only changed items back down to the phone; you have to do a complete erase/replace.

I simply manage all adds/changes/deletions on my computers via Google Contacts in the cloud, then periodically do a erase/replace to the phone.

I don't see this situation changing or improving for the consumer-level experience.  In enterprise installations, the phones will typically be set up to use an enterprise directory vs. a local contact list.

N7AS

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 27, 2020, 02:56:32 PM
Overall, it isn't practical to manage contacts via the phone's GUI.  As you noted, all you can do is import the contacts from Google Contacts.  If you edit a contact on the phone, it isn't synced back to Google Contacts, and you can't synchronize only changed items back down to the phone; you have to do a complete erase/replace.

I simply manage all adds/changes/deletions on my computers via Google Contacts in the cloud, then periodically do a erase/replace to the phone.

I don't see this situation changing or improving for the consumer-level experience.  In enterprise installations, the phones will typically be set up to use an enterprise directory vs. a local contact list.

Do I export a .csv file from Google Contacts? How do I get it on the OBi2182?

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

SteveInWA

Quote from: N7AS on February 27, 2020, 03:16:24 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on February 27, 2020, 02:56:32 PM

Do I export a .csv file from Google Contacts? How do I get it on the OBi2182?

Hunh?  I thought you already knew how to do this.  You don't have to do any manual file transfers.  Just sign into the OBiTALK portal, click on the row for the 2182, then scroll down to the bottom of the next page (the device's main configuration page).  There is a blue button in the lower right to import Google Contacts.  OBiTALK will do it for you, via the same authentication method it uses to connect to your Google account.

N7AS

Steve, I know that, but I manage my OBi stuff locally. The last time I had it on the OBiTalk Portal it caused all kinds of problems. I even disconnected my cellphone from connecting to my 2182. That too as causing problems. Right now I just have to edit one number, so I will edit it manually on the 2182's GUI.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ