News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PBX behind Obi110

Started by bebphone, December 20, 2012, 11:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bebphone

From way back I have a PBX (Panasonic) installed. Now I got an Obi110 but would like to keep the PBX to make calls between phones in the house.

Simply placing the PBX behind the Obi does not work (no calls get through in either direction). Is there a way to configure the Obi to make this work?

I realize I could simply replace the PBX with an Obi for each line and may do this in the future, but for now keeping the PBX would be nice.

hwittenb

Is this an analog PBX?  If so can you interface the OBi110 analog Line (FXO) port to the PBX as an extension?

bebphone

Quote from: hwittenb on December 20, 2012, 05:35:27 PM
Is this an analog PBX?  If so can you interface the OBi110 analog Line (FXO) port to the PBX as an extension?

The PBX is analog. But I want the PBX behind, not in front of the Obi. That does not seem to work, at least when I made the connection I could not get any calls through. Without the PBX no problems.

QBZappy

bebphone,

Some details would be helpful. What model pbx are you working with and how did you connect the OBi to the pbx?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bebphone

Quote from: QBZappy on December 20, 2012, 07:34:24 PM
bebphone,

Some details would be helpful. What model pbx are you working with and how did you connect the OBi to the pbx?

The PBX is an Panasonic KX-TA308 with 3 pots ports to the Telco and 8 "hyprid" phone ports that accept both analog and proprietary digital phones. I'm only using the analog ports.

I've connected telco to the obi, then the obi to one of the telco ports of the pbx. Several analog phones are connected to the pbx (I have not made any changes).

The pbx alone (i.e. directly connected to the telco, not via the obi) works fine. A phone directly connected to the obi works fine. The pbx connected to the obi connected to the telco does not work: it does not make calls or receive calls.

Should this work in principle? Or does this fundamentally not work (I've heard some of these boxes use signalling beyond just dial and ring tones - but I really have no clue).

ianobi

QuoteShould this work in principle?

yes, it should work. As far as the OBi is concerned the PBX looks just like a phone being plugged in. I have used the same setup in the past, but using a different analog PBX.

Is the PBX polarity sensitive? It may be worth reversing the lines. When OBi is calling to the PBX, it may be worth checking Status > Call Status in the Expert Pages to see what OBi thinks is going on. Same check for a PBX to OBi call to see if OBi is seeing anything.

Is there a setting on the PBX to choose between sending DTMF and Loop Disconnect dialling to line? OBi will only accept DTMF.