News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incorrect Name Showing Associated With Google Voice Account

Started by Fesflow, March 17, 2020, 05:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fesflow

I just successful installed an OBI-based Google Voice phone system in my home. I just got the Google Voice number a couple of week ago via Google Voice's website. I have been told that when I call out from this number, someone else's name, completely un-associated with me or my Google account, shows up on the receiver's Caller ID. How do I fix this so it either displays my name, or at least NOT someone else's name? Thanks!

drgeoff

Quote from: Fesflow on March 17, 2020, 05:08:48 PM
I just successful installed an OBI-based Google Voice phone system in my home. I just got the Google Voice number a couple of week ago via Google Voice's website. I have been told that when I call out from this number, someone else's name, completely un-associated with me or my Google account, shows up on the receiver's Caller ID. How do I fix this so it either displays my name, or at least NOT someone else's name? Thanks!
1.  Read the penultimate paragraph of this post by SteveInWA http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12375.msg86985#msg86985 for an explanation of CNAM.

2.  The GV number you have is a recycled one. Any CNAM info seen by the people you call is for a previous user of the number.

There is no setting on your OBi device, nor in your Google account that can update that to your name.

GeeObi

You can use *67 before dialing to block your number being transmitted.
The recipient will then see "private caller" or similar and no name display.

drgeoff

Quote from: GeeObi on March 18, 2020, 10:21:26 AM
You can use *67 before dialing to block your number being transmitted.
The recipient will then see "private caller" or similar and no name display.
Or at your GV account settings page https://voice.google.com/u/0/settings. Calls, Anonymous caller ID slider.