News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Did anything change with GV + Obitalk that broke Caller ID?

Started by kelemvor, May 07, 2020, 05:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelemvor

Howdy,

Obi200

I've noticed recently that the caller ID information (names of people) no longer reliably show up on my phone handset (landline) when i get a call. If I go to the GV website, I can see the name of the person in the call history but only the number shows up on my actual phone.

This used to work just fine but now only sort of works.  If my wife calls our home # from her cell, it shows her name. If I call from my cell, it just shows the numbers.

Does anyone know if there's something I can check or if this just doesn't work any more or what the change might have been?

Thanks.

drgeoff

GV does not send names to your OBi, only numbers.  OBis do not store names.  Any names shown on your phone are from the phone's phonebook.

kelemvor

Did this change at some point?  My phone doesn't have a Phonebook or Contacts list but yet this used to work.

I used to have to go into my GV account and add a name to the number and then my phone would show the name when people called.  Then at some point it stopped working.

I know for a bit I used that guy who setup his own service for when the old OBIs stopped working.  Maybe it had something to do with that?

Taoman

Quote from: kelemvor on May 07, 2020, 07:00:10 AM

I know for a bit I used that guy who setup his own service for when the old OBIs stopped working.  Maybe it had something to do with that?

Correct. Bill Simon's Simonics platform supported CNAM. Google Voice does not.

Easiest way to get CNAM is buy a $1/month Callcentric DID and forward incoming GV calls to that.