News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Goodbye Google Voice

Started by TheDogee, April 07, 2020, 04:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDogee

Well I've fought the good fight, but just could not put up with all of the constant Google Voice issues. Dropped calls at randomly varying times, the "service provider could not be reached, etc. I spent countless hours trying to resolve, reading both Obi and G V forums. Tried rebooting, deleting account and restoring, factory reset, router settings. Finally reached the conclusion that it is a GV issue, but there is no ownership of the problem. They don't seem to care about Obi support (there is no money to be made).

So I ported out of GV into Anveo. Pretty much instantly, all the problems went away. Having a phone that does not work reasonably reliably just makes no sense. Have had multi hour telecoms with no drops with everyone in house doing remote work. Anveo has an offesively primative website, but gets the job done. The Google integration with GV was nice, but not worth the headache. Was already using Anveo for 911, so it just a few more bucks for basic service. So far, worth the cost difference.

njweb

Quote from: TheDogee on April 07, 2020, 04:31:03 PM
Well I've fought the good fight, but just could not put up with all of the constant Google Voice issues. Dropped calls at randomly varying times, the "service provider could not be reached, etc. I spent countless hours trying to resolve, reading both Obi and G V forums. Tried rebooting, deleting account and restoring, factory reset, router settings. Finally reached the conclusion that it is a GV issue, but there is no ownership of the problem. They don't seem to care about Obi support (there is no money to be made).

So I ported out of GV into Anveo. Pretty much instantly, all the problems went away. Having a phone that does not work reasonably reliably just makes no sense. Have had multi hour telecoms with no drops with everyone in house doing remote work. Anveo has an offesively primative website, but gets the job done. The Google integration with GV was nice, but not worth the headache. Was already using Anveo for 911, so it just a few more bucks for basic service. So far, worth the cost difference.

Thanks for sharing. Glad it is working out for you.
I see Anveo also has a 'Free' plan. Does that have any 'hidden fees' (i.e. for overages of voicemail to text monthly limits etc., or are those features that can be turned off) or are there any incoming or outgoing call limits in terms of minutes per month?

TheDogee

Sorry, I have not really used their free plan.

njweb

Quote from: TheDogee on April 08, 2020, 06:21:48 AM
Sorry, I have not really used their free plan.

No problem, thanks anyway

Update (4/9) -  I see an update from SeveinWA from yesterday stating that Google Engineering found a network problem that they believe was causing the 15 minute disconnects.
Fingers crossed!

ProfTech

Anveo Retail "Free" plan is not really free at all. You just don't pay a monthly fee for use of their support. If you have a DID with them, then for all practical purposes you must pay a monthly fee. I paid $2.00 a month for inbound calls as long as you agree to keep it for a year, I believe. Outbound calls are charged for at their regular per-minute rate. Don't know what they charge right now. When I tried retail a few years ago, my complaint was when you made an outbound call, if it so happened they considered it to be a "high priced" call [according to them] they just sent you a busy signal. So for a while I had numbers I could never reach and had no idea why. They tell me they have reduced the incidence of this happening but I don't use their retail service any more so can't speak to that. I now use their wholesale service and if I dial a "high priced" number, I simply pay more. Simple as that.

yesitsme

I also experienced many issues placing calls, and I know many others that experienced issues as well,
In the mean time we switched to calcentric $20 month outgoing plan, I hope google will fix it sooner then later