How to show my Google Voice number as caller ID when forwarding only to the OBi

Started by LTN1, April 01, 2020, 06:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

Is there a way to show my Google Voice number as the caller ID when forwarding only to the OBi device?

I know that I can activate the "show my Google Voice number" when forwarding to other linked numbers but when the call comes through the OBi linked device, it always show the caller's ID.

Is there a solution when a GV account just forwards to the OBi device?

Taoman

I'll tell ya if you tell me why you want to do this.  ???

What happens when you put the following in your InboundCallRoute?

{(<:*GVNUMBER*>xx.):ph}

LTN1

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2020, 07:21:34 PM
I'll tell ya if you tell me why you want to do this.  ???

What happens when you put the following in your InboundCallRoute?

I have daughters that share the same handset connected to the OBi and want to differentiate the incoming call.

Is {(<:*GVNUMBER*>xx.):ph} the solution? I tried changing it under SP1 service within expert mode, replacing the "GVNUMBER" with the number I want to show up for incoming calls but it doesn't even ring with that command.

Taoman

Hmm. Tried it a couple more times on 2 different numbers/SPs on 2 different OBi ATAs and it worked. You're positive the syntax is correct and that's the only thing you have for InboundCallRoute? It really should work. When I tried it the second time it wouldn't even ring but I had forgotten the beginning curly bracket.

LTN1

Quote from: Taoman on April 01, 2020, 11:13:32 PM
Hmm. Tried it a couple more times on 2 different numbers/SPs on 2 different OBi ATAs and it worked. You're positive the syntax is correct and that's the only thing you have for InboundCallRoute? It really should work. When I tried it the second time it wouldn't even ring but I had forgotten the beginning curly bracket.

I just tried it again. When I changed it to {(<:*9163595555*>xx.):ph} (assuming the GV number is "9163595555"), incoming calls do not ring. I'll attach the before and after configurations. I've tried it with {(<:*9163595555*>xx.):ph} and {(<:9163595555>xx.):ph}.

Taoman

Don't know what to tell you. Works fine for me on multiple numbers and OBi ATAs. The fact your OBi won't even ring indicates invalid syntax but I can't see the problem. Only thing I can think of is I'm running older firmware (3.2.2 (Build: 5859EX)) but it seems unlikely that would be the problem.

Maybe azrobert might have an idea why it isn't working for you or have a better idea how to do what you want?

Taoman

Quote from: LTN1 on April 01, 2020, 09:13:56 PM

I have daughters that share the same handset connected to the OBi and want to differentiate the incoming call.

As far as this issue goes, have you tried using distinctive ring patterns for the different numbers?

LTN1

Quote from: Taoman on April 02, 2020, 08:59:30 AM
Quote from: LTN1 on April 01, 2020, 09:13:56 PM

As far as this issue goes, have you tried using distinctive ring patterns for the different numbers?

That's a good suggestion but many young people these days are more visual and I suspect that it may be a challenge for them to remember how to differentiate the different ring patterns. But it is worth a try, however, a future caller ID solution would be preferable.

SteveInWA

Out of curiosity, I tried it, and it doesn't work with my OBi 202.  I substituted *GVNUMBER* with either 12061234567 or 2061234567.  The phone didn't ring, although my GV VoIP clients did.

Maybe it's a firmware thing.  I am running the current firmware 5921EX.

azrobert

You have a couple things wrong with the rule you're using. First GV send an 11 digit callerid with a "+" prefix, so you won't get a match (xx. will not match a "+"). Second you are prefixing the callerid with 10 digits plus 2 stars, so you will end up with a 24 character callerid. Try the following rule:
{(<+1xxxxxxxxxx:9163595555>):ph}

LTN1

Quote from: azrobert on April 02, 2020, 08:11:06 PM
You have a couple things wrong with the rule you're using. First GV send an 11 digit callerid with a "+" prefix, so you won't get a match (xx. will not match a "+"). Second you are prefixing the callerid with 10 digits plus 2 stars, so you will end up with a 24 character callerid. Try the following rule:
{(<+1xxxxxxxxxx:9163595555>):ph}

Excellent, azrobert! It worked! Thank you.

azrobert

Don't you want to see the original inbound callerid? Just add a leading * to indicate the call is from GV.
{(<+1:*>xxxxxxxxxx):ph}

Some phones won't display special characters, so prefix with 99 or something else.
{(<+1:99>xxxxxxxxxx):ph}

LTN1

Quote from: azrobert on April 02, 2020, 09:09:29 PM

Don't you want to see the original inbound callerid? Just add a leading * to indicate the call is from GV.

Some phones won't display special characters, so prefix with 99 or something else.
{(<+1:99>xxxxxxxxxx):ph}

That seems good, azrobert. I wonder if we can even place a first name like this (haven't tried it yet because it is too early in CA and everyone is still asleep):

{(<+1:Mary>xxxxxxxxxx):ph}

LTN1

I tried {(<+1:Mary>xxxxxxxxxx):ph} to see if it would pass the "Mary" with the caller ID (haven't tried numbers or special characters) and it just came through as Private.

drgeoff

Quote from: LTN1 on April 03, 2020, 09:54:25 AM
I tried {(<+1:Mary>xxxxxxxxxx):ph} to see if it would pass the "Mary" with the caller ID (haven't tried numbers or special characters) and it just came through as Private.
See the first bullet in the list at the bottom of page 197 of the Admin Guide https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

M has a special meaning in digit maps. Try putting the Mary bit between single quotes - 'Mary'.  I'm not saying this will work as I have not tried it myself.

LTN1

Quote from: drgeoff on April 03, 2020, 03:14:38 PM
Quote from: LTN1 on April 03, 2020, 09:54:25 AM
See the first bullet in the list at the bottom of page 197 of the Admin Guide https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

M has a special meaning in digit maps. Try putting the Mary bit between single quotes - 'Mary'.  I'm not saying this will work as I have not tried it myself.

Thanks for the suggestion, however, putting the name between single or double quotes just allows the caller's ID to be seen without any indication of Mary.

azrobert

My phone will not display a callerid with an alpha prefix. I tried a few special characters and the only one that displayed correctly was an asterisk. This is how my phone works and might not be the same for your phone. Here is my suggestion:

Daughter #1 prefix with an *

Daughter #2 just strip the "+1"
{(<+1:>xxxxxxxxxx):ph}

OR

You can leave one Daughter's phone unmodified, so she will get an 11 digit callerid. Strip the "+1" for the 2nd daughter and she will get a 10 digit callerid.

LTN1

Appreciate the additional suggestions, azrobert, however, I'm dealing with teenagers for the most part--hence, those last options, which may work for us, may not be that attractive for them. For now, I'll follow your original suggestion, which may not be ideal, is workable.

azrobert

I started thinking about your problem and I found a solution. You can have your daughters' names displayed as CallerID-Name and also display the inbound CallerID-Number. This requires using SP3 and SP4, so it won't work if you're using these as GV. Assuming GV is defined on SP1 and SP2.

Let me know if you're interested and what, if anything is defined on SP3-4.

LTN1

Unfortunately for us, SPs 3 and 4 are being used by their GV numbers. I would be interested in finding out about the work-around one day. Thank you.