News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Bandwidth usage and QOS

Started by BigKetchup, May 08, 2020, 07:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigKetchup

So I've started playing with setting QOS on my Obi 200 with mixed results at first, but I think I've gotten the hang on it.  I've set the Obi with the highest priority, port range from 1 to 65535, upstream and downstream minimums and maximums to 300 kbps each.

At first, I assumed that it only needed 25 kpbs on each stream so I set it there, and noticed that I couldn't hear on the outgoing telephone and the receiving telephone only heard what I said like 20 seconds later.  Bumped it up to 250 kbps on all streams and it seemed to work better, but rounded it up to 300 for good measure.

It doesn't interfere with my streaming 4k videos in the meanwhile even while being on the line.

I think this configuration is good and hopefully it won't screw up my conversations with others like it did in the past (ringing then just static, the other caller didn't hear half of the last sentence). 

Let me know what your experience may be with this.

Thanks!

drgeoff

1. The Admin Guide says quite explicitly that QoS settings are only provided on OBi202/302 so what are you configuring on your OBi200?

2. The audio part of a VoIP call is about 80kbit/s.

2. The QoS settings on an OBi (or router) can only prioritise outgoing traffic. Would have minimal impact on incoming, including videos being watched.

BigKetchup

Thanks for the response.

I've actually configured QoS on my home router.  See the attached configuration page.  It lets me set incoming priority as well.  Since doing this I can consistently make three-way calls while previously it was really hit or miss.  I haven't had any of the loud static when calling so far and the phone calls I did place have gone uninterrupted.

I can try setting the minimums and maximums to 80 kbps but am not sure what the implications are on the router's

I'm really hoping this is the fix I need.  Let me know your thoughts.

SteveInWA

If it works for you with the settings you posted, then great; that's your fix.  300Kbps is plenty for a three-way VoIP call.  You can try reducing it to 200Kbps and see if the problem comes back.