News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How about support for Caller ID name lookups?

Started by MichiganTelephone, January 23, 2011, 06:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

This is an intelligent and practical idea....  I add my vote for such a feature.

Quote from: RyanBlace on June 23, 2011, 03:38:14 PM
This is something I would really like to see added (for Google Voice). I know there isn't much time for a SOA query across the net. I also assume there isn't much storage space for a huge list of contacts in the device.

Here's an idea. After the person calls the first time, the device queries GV for the name and stores is in the local memory for the next call.  Keep doing this until the allocated storage space is filled. Then, start dropping entries based on some sort of frequency or age algorithm.

So the end user wouldn't see the caller id contact name the first time the contact calls, but would on the second call.

Common sense: Don't store anything for numbers which are not in GV contacts. Store only a user defined number of characters.

Even if the OBi ran a job once a night to lookup all the day's calls would be a great first step.

Could be a marketing feature... "Our device learns, theirs doesn't."  :)