News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - Phone call Voice Quality

Started by kwaropay, July 23, 2020, 10:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaropay

Hi,

Every other day, my wife answers the phone and she has to say "Hello" like 3 times and then maybe she hears the caller.  Or they say "Hello" and we can hear them but they can't hear us. It's driving my wife nuts and of course she's driving me nuts about it now.  I have an OBI-200 and it's been reset fully and reconfigured about 2 months ago.  Still the issue continues.

I checked my Internet reliability and the test seems just fine for VOIP.  http://vac.visualware.com
I'm in NJ and I tested connecting to NYC.
VoIP MOS:4.2  
VoIP Packet Loss: 0.0%
VoIP Average Jitter: 1.20ms

I also tested my ethernet wires with the tester that I have since I make my own ethernet cables. They all seem to be fine.

The OBI200 is on the 5921EX firmware.

I reset the OBI200 by unplugging it and then it seems to work again.

I did make one change on my ASUS router today for QOS to make sure VOIP gets priority but I don't think that was the problem.

Any other suggestions?  

Thanks in advance for all replies

SteveInWA

This "smells" like bad hardware to me.  Have you tried the obvious, replacing the telephone and its cord?  If so, and the problem remains, then try swapping out the 12VDC power adapter.  If you happen to have any other networking equipment or gadget that uses a 12VDC, 1A or higher adapter with the same plug, give it a try.

If that doesn't help, then you may have a bad OBi.

kwaropay

Thanks Steve!  So I'm curious...if I pay for OBI support, will they be able to somehow diagnose a bad OBI device?

drgeoff

Did this ever work properly?  If it did in the past, has anything since changed or been added to your network setup?

Multiple times dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222.  When it answers do you sometimes fail to hear the "Welcome to Obitalk and .."?  When you speak do you sometimes fail to hear you own voice played back to you?

kwaropay

Quote from: drgeoff on July 24, 2020, 09:46:04 AM
Did this ever work properly?  If it did in the past, has anything since changed or been added to your network setup?

Multiple times dial the echo test number **9 222 222 222.  When it answers do you sometimes fail to hear the "Welcome to Obitalk and .."?  When you speak do you sometimes fail to hear you own voice played back to you?

Yes, we did a complete reset on it like 6-8 weeks ago and it was working.  But then in the last 2 weeks, it has gotten flaky again.  I just ordered a new OBI200 from Amazon to just replace the device.  I'm hoping that will fix the issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

kwaropay

Also...there have been no network changes and no devices added to our network.

The other day, I did implement QOS on our router and I gave the OBI device the highest priority. So far, it's working but in another day or two, we will find out of the device needs to be reset.

SteveInWA

I doubt that paying for out-of-warranty support will help your situation with your current device.  If the new one exhibits the same symptoms, then you probably have a network issue that Visualware BCS failed to notice (intermittent).