News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

porting number: to be clear

Started by Redw00d, July 27, 2020, 10:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redw00d

Quote from: Lavarock7 on August 09, 2020, 01:20:46 AM
I have ported a few numbers into Voip.Ms and that is my suggestion. They seem responsive and the porting status is passed along. Their ports are free.

I like them enough that I don't really bother with GoogleVoice anymore. Yes, GV is free but also a hassle. Search here and read the problems. Many/most issues are with GV itself, getting Voice Mail working the way people want or the difficult porting isses that can come up with landline/cellphone ports. Add to that that GV has no customer service to speak of.

Yes, I use GV but I don't recommend it anymore except for a few cases.

I haven't had any problems with obihai and google voice, thus, ALL I have wanted , was to keep my number... I did pay $15 to voip.ms to fund an account , to get 'free' porting... so, now, I"m Free from att... still can't port my number to google voice, I guess, a CLEAR understanding might have been useful. I don't know...

SteveInWA

You, sir, are dumber than a box o' rocks.  At no point, did anyone in this discussion thread tell you that you could port a voip.ms number into Google Voice.  We told you to use voip.ms INSTEAD of Google Voice.  That is why you ported your number into voip.ms.  Now, all you have to do is to follow the instructions I already gave you, to set up voip.ms on your OBiTALK device.

You just wasted several hours posting back and forth with me on the Google Voice forum, not understanding a single thing I said.  It's like the old saying, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  If you cannot comprehend simple statements, then you do not have the aptitude to use an OBiTALK device.

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/64048878

Redw00d

I'm sorry you reduced yourself to this low level of conduct. I would thing an experienced mod wouldn't do this, guess I"m wrong. I won't get into an immature level of mud slinging with you. I stand by ALL my posts and questions, if anybody thinks as poorly as you, so be it. I have Tried, very hard to be civil with you. it didn't work. now you are reduced to name calling. I think perhaps Management might review this case, at least, I Hope there are some adults in the building...  I feel sorry for you my friend

Taoman

Quote from: Redw00d on August 10, 2020, 07:39:52 PM
I would thing an experienced mod wouldn't do this, guess I"m wrong.

SteveInWA is NOT a Mod in this forum.

You have been told multiple times the ONLY way to port a number into Google Voice is from a cell carrier. I honestly don't know how to make it any clearer to you.

So now, once again, you will need to port your number from Voip.ms to a cell phone carrier. Then port from the cell carrier to Google Voice. That's the ONLY way it will work.

Quoteif I have my kids get a phone, port my # for me, since they do receive cell service and can get the confirmation?

YES, have your kids do this for you since you seem to be having such a problem with this. You are not "breaking any rules" by having your kids help you port your number into Google Voice.

Just ignore any further insults or invective you receive from SteveInWA.

yanksno1

I'll share my Porting story. It originally went from a Landline, to Vonage, then to Ooma for 20 years. I switched to the free plan for Ooma (only playing taxes which came out to like $5+ a month). I then decided to take the journey to port it from Ooma to Google Voice. I decided to use Ting vs AT&T (my primary carrier) cause it seemed like the cheapest way to do it. I bought a $6 sim card at Best Buy to get ready. The thing never worked, so Ting was nice enough (their customer service was great all along) to overnight a new Sim to me. After about 16 days it finally ported over. I then needed a new phone to do the verification on. I went to Amazon for a cheap $16 GSM unlocked phone and found one. The instructions were worthless, so went back on Amazon and figured out eventually to get it going. Never signed up for any minutes/plan with Ting, just got the verification call and it was good to go. After that, it took 24 hours to port over to Google Voice.

I bought the OBi200 (a used one on ebay, wish I saw that sale) to use with it. So far so good with the call quality. Only thing I don't like about it is the no name under the caller ID. But I don't get many calls on it, so it's not a big deal. The one thing I am looking for is 911 service, haven't figured out how to sign up for that yet (if anyone wants to show me I'd appreciate it!). Don't want to high jack your thread, but besides that I'm pretty happy with Google Voice and the OBi200.