News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New user with a few wrinkles...

Started by pawnslinger, December 14, 2011, 01:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawnslinger

Okay, I have my OBI110 setup and working.  All appears to be fine.  But there have been a few strange happenings and I wanted to see if anyone knew what was happening.

1.  I am running my OBI110 thru a D-Link DIR-825 router.  Several times during the setup phase, the router just seemed to get all tied up doing something and wouldn't allow anyone on the network to connect to the WAN, and I, as admin, was unable to connect to the router itself.  I just waited and it appeared to clear by itself.  The OBI110 seemed to be doing something, the light indicating activity was blinking.  The normal lights were solid green.

2.  In my OBITALK control panel, I have 2 OBI #s registered!!  One is my OBI's number and shows red, offline.  The other is connected to my google account.  I find it strange to have 2 different OBI numbers.  Is this normal?

Other than these two issues, all appears to be working fine.

DaveTap

I've had problems with the DIR800 series as well... might be worth a firmware update but that probably won't fix the problem entirely, they're just a little flaky.
The ObiTalk.com web portal allows you to set up as many OBIs as you want allowing them to call each other using their ObiNumber or by setting up shared speed dials. It also defaults a setup for a PC with the Obion software (or iPhone etc) so every account starts out showing 2 OBIs (actually 1 Obi and 1 PC or iPhone)
Also every Obi device has the ability to connect to 2 different Voip services like GoogleVoice, CallCentric, SipGate, etc. or a Voip Service and a PBX (like SipSourcery, PBXes.com, or Asterisk which allow you to use many Voip providers)

pawnslinger

I have had the 825 for a couple of years now, and it has provided smooth service during that time.  And even now, it is back to normal.  It crashed during the setup period, when the OBI110 was upgrading its firmware.  I say "crashed", because it was totally unresponsive during that time.  Once the software update was done, all went back to normal on its own accord.  It would have saved me a lot of stress if this possible behavior had been warned.

I am still curious about the multiple OBI numbers.  The first one is the original OBI number assigned, I guess, by the factory.  It always shows "offline".  The 2nd is the one associated with GV, and it is the one that shows up in my OBI, when I go thru the web to view the setup screens... the original number was replaced by the GV OBI number.  No problem, but again, if this is normal behavior, a heads-up would have been appreciated.  As it was, I was worried that I had done something wrong.

DaveTap

Ok, now I'm confused... I own 4 Obi100s so when I sign into ObiTalk.com it shows my 4 Obi numbers (printed on the bottom 9 digit# starting with 300) Followed by a speed dial for each (2, 3, 4, 5)
At the bottom of the list is a 9 digit PC number starting with 290 and speed dial #1
If I click on an Obi that's online, part way down the page I see the 2 service providers of that Obi100 followed by a gear and a red X. The Gear allows you to edit the settings, the red X allows you to delete the settings and start over.
Are you seeing something different?

pawnslinger

Ehhh, yeah...

I have 1 OBI110.  I have only GV.  I have 2 OBI numbers when I login to my OBITALK account.  The first one has the original OBI number that was issued by the factory and was in my OBI when I logged into it originally after I first connected the device.  It always show offline in my OBITALK, then there is a 2nd OBI number that is connected to GV, and is the current OBI number in my OBI110 -- when I added GV, the original OBI number was replaced by this new number.  It shows the gear and an info sign (for firmware update available).  So I have 1 service, GV, and 1 OBI110, but 2 OBI numbers in OBITALK.  I think it looks real strange myself.  The important thing is it works.

DaveTap

That does sound strange.
Is the second Obi Number 9 digits starting with 300 or something completely different?
I guess as long as it works its OK, my concern is if or when another Obi somewhere is assigned the same number there could be a conflict in the system like inadvertently duplicating a MAC or IP Address that could be bad...  >:(

pawnslinger

The original OBI number begins with 290.  The 2nd number begins with 200.  The rest of the digits seem unrelated one to the other.

RonR

Quote from: pawnslinger on December 16, 2011, 03:49:55 PM
The original OBI number begins with 290.  The 2nd number begins with 200.

OBiTALK numbers are assigned as follows:

200xxxxxx  ->  OBi110
290xxxxxx  ->  OBiON Apps
300xxxxxx  ->  OBi100

Each OBiTALK Web Portal account has an OBiON OBiTALK number assigned to it whether you want it or not.

pawnslinger

It is not a matter of whether I want it (or not).  What I want is beside the point.

Actually, what I want is to just understand what is going on... but maybe that is too much to ask???  Maybe I am just too thick to get it.

RevKev

Well, going by what RonR said and by what I see in my setup, the first number is your softphone number. It is automatically provided for use with OBiON. It's offline because you don't have an OBiON app in use. The second number is your OBi device. Check the number on the device itself to the number shown on the web.

DaveTap

RevKev is correct, so don't worry about the 290 number until you install the Obi software on your PC or iPhone. The 200 number is your Obi (and the number you can give out to other Obi users if you want to let them call your Obi direct)