News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 and Third Party obifirmware

Started by Italian, October 23, 2020, 08:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Italian

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck with setting up Google Voice on the OBi100 using the third party firmware from http://www.obifirmware.com/ ?

I am able to do all the steps, but "OBiTALK Device" doesn't show up in Google Voice's "My devices" section.

Thank you.

azrobert

Unfortunately, the 3rd party firmware doesn't work anymore. The main purpose of the firmware was to fix a certificate problem. Google changed certificates and since the OBi1xx was at EOL and not supported anymore, OBiHai wouldn't supply a fix. Google switched protocols from XMPP to SIP. After the transition period Google shut down the XMPP servers and then GV stopped working again.

Italian

Quote from: azrobert on October 23, 2020, 10:30:35 PM
Unfortunately, the 3rd party firmware doesn't work anymore. The main purpose of the firmware was to fix a certificate problem. Google changed certificates and since the OBi1xx was at EOL and not supported anymore, OBiHai wouldn't supply a fix. Google switched protocols from XMPP to SIP. After the transition period Google shut down the XMPP servers and then GV stopped working again.

Ouch, thanks for letting me know. How come the Obi200 and Ob202 can handle GV with SIP and the Obi100 cannot?

What can I use the Obi100 I have for? And do I need to flash it with an original firmware instead of the third party one I have on there now?

drgeoff

Quote from: Italian on October 24, 2020, 05:21:17 PM
Quote from: azrobert on October 23, 2020, 10:30:35 PM

Ouch, thanks for letting me know. How come the Obi200 and Ob202 can handle GV with SIP and the Obi100 cannot?

What can I use the Obi100 I have for? And do I need to flash it with an original firmware instead of the third party one I have on there now?

Obihai did not (and will not) update the OBi100/110 firmware to support the changes that Google made to GV.  Whether that was a business decision or a technical one was not disclosed.

Although OBi100/110 can no longer be used for Google Voice they continue to work fine with all the other service providers that the OBi2xx/3xx models support.

I see no reason to have anything other than the official 2886 firmware on them.