News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 212 and POTS 2 line Phone

Started by tzydzy, August 28, 2020, 03:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzydzy

I have an Obi 212 set up for VOIP lines and and 2 POTS lines. Currently, the Obi is only connected to a single line analog phone for testing purposes with 3 services so I can decide on which one to keep between Anveo, Call Centric or voip.ms.  I also have a 2 line cordless phone with cordless extension phones which is connected to the 2 POTS lines from AT&T, but I would like to drop 1 of the POTS lines and use the VOIP with the other line.  I understand that I can connect the PHONE jack to the cordless phone system and the POTS line to the LINE jack and do things safely using the Obi codes to connect through the wireless phone and still use the wiring in the house for Line1 of the POTS line.  The question is, can I connect the Cordless phone to the POTS line for line 1 and the OBI to the jack for Line 2 safely?    Line 1 of the 2 line cordless phone will be subject to the land line ring current and line 2 of the Panasonic KX-TG9582B phone would be connected to the Obi Phone jack.  The ringer current from the POTS line would come in via the line 1 jack on the Panasonic base and line 2 would be the VOIP line from the PHONE jack of the Obi 212.  Nothing would be connected to the line jack of the Obi.   The only time there could be a connection between the POTS line and the obi is if the conference mode was used on the Panasonic.   This set up would let me also use POTS  phones in the house for line 1 which would be available during power outages.  The Panasonic would be used for voice mail on the POTS line and line 2 would use the voice mail from the VOIP provider,  when I finally make that decision of a carrier and port that analog line to the voip carrier of choice.

drgeoff

Yes you can do that.

You could also do it with a much less expensive OBi200.

DownSouth

YES Any phone output FXO can connected to an FXS.
The 212 generates the ring for the phone, there is no pass-through.
Look at Physical Interfaces-> PHONE1 Port -> Port Settings for the ringer settings which by default are set for NA.
My KG-TGX575 and the 2 previous DECT models all worked perfectly with the 110 & the 212.

Leave line 1 of the KX-TG9582B connected to the AT&T POTS/PSTN/ (FXS) jacks you decided to keep.

Plug Line 2 of your KX-TG9582B to the 212 (FXS) Phone 2nd from the left.
Connect the 212 Line out (FXO) Leftmost Port looking from back to 1 of the AT&T POTS/PSTN/ (FXS) jacks.

That line will connect through the 212 to Line 2 of the phone if the power fails.
If your phone is like mine any handset provides power to the base if the power fails so I still have MX POTS service
which has free calling to the US & Canada.
I've had a 110 forever and a 212 for several years.  Happy to answer any questions I can including Google Voice
This is what I have on my 212
SP1 GV Personal Free NA
SP2 GV Business Free NA
SP3 Callcentric 411, customers, I'm a Callcentric Agent. & US 011 International
SP4 IPComms Free incoming DID
Line Telmex Fiber VOIP

Quote from: tzydzy on August 28, 2020, 03:12:10 AM
I have an Obi 212 set up for VOIP lines and and 2 POTS lines. Currently, the Obi is only connected to a single line analog phone for testing purposes with 3 services so I can decide on which one to keep between Anveo, Call Centric or voip.ms.  I also have a 2 line cordless phone with cordless extension phones which is connected to the 2 POTS lines from AT&T, but I would like to drop 1 of the POTS lines and use the VOIP with the other line.  I understand that I can connect the PHONE jack to the cordless phone system and the POTS line to the LINE jack and do things safely using the Obi codes to connect through the wireless phone and still use the wiring in the house for Line1 of the POTS line.  The question is, can I connect the Cordless phone to the POTS line for line 1 and the OBI to the jack for Line 2 safely?    Line 1 of the 2 line cordless phone will be subject to the land line ring current and line 2 of the Panasonic KX-TG9582B phone would be connected to the Obi Phone jack.  The ringer current from the POTS line would come in via the line 1 jack on the Panasonic base and line 2 would be the VOIP line from the PHONE jack of the Obi 212.  Nothing would be connected to the line jack of the Obi.   The only time there could be a connection between the POTS line and the obi is if the conference mode was used on the Panasonic.   This set up would let me also use POTS  phones in the house for line 1 which would be available during power outages.  The Panasonic would be used for voice mail on the POTS line and line 2 would use the voice mail from the VOIP provider,  when I finally make that decision of a carrier and port that analog line to the voip carrier of choice.