News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Allow forwarded Google Voice calls to CC for CNAM, but block direct CC?

Started by nocturne1, December 14, 2020, 08:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocturne1

Just switched from having just a Google Voice setup on my OBI200 for about a year, to the method in the sticky post of this forum to use a CallCentric line for the purpose of CNAM support. Which, for that purpose, has been working well, but there's now two very early mornings where we've been woken up by repeated calls directly on that CallCentric number.

Is there any way to make that CallCentric number reject direct dialed numbers, but to allow only forwarded numbers from GV? Been pretty happy with their spam protection, but this recent change blew things up completely.

drgeoff

Quote from: nocturne1 on December 14, 2020, 08:32:23 AM
Just switched from having just a Google Voice setup on my OBI200 for about a year, to the method in the sticky post of this forum to use a CallCentric line for the purpose of CNAM support. Which, for that purpose, has been working well, but there's now two very early mornings where we've been woken up by repeated calls directly on that CallCentric number.

Is there any way to make that CallCentric number reject direct dialed numbers, but to allow only forwarded numbers from GV? Been pretty happy with their spam protection, but this recent change blew things up completely.
How is CC to know they are to be treated differentlu?

nocturne1

Quote from: drgeoff on December 14, 2020, 10:09:57 AM
How is CC to know they are to be treated differentlu?

Good question. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of identifying metadata information different between a directly dialed number vs one forwarded. And am still not.  :)

Taoman

Quote from: nocturne1 on December 14, 2020, 08:32:23 AM

You need to experiment and familiarize yourself with Callcentric call treatments. They are very powerful.

For instance, I started getting calls directly to my CC line but 95% were from the same area code as my CC line. Well there's no reason I should be getting a call from that area code. So it was a simple matter to make a call treatment that routed all callers with that area code to voicemail, or an error message, or a busy signal, or route to Lenny, etc. I've made additional call treatments to block other area codes.

I also "whitelist" by putting all my Contacts in the CC phone book. I then made a call treatment that routed all my phone book Contacts (in a certain group) directly to my extension. I then made another call treatment that routed all other callers to voicemail, or the telemarketer block, or an IVR....... the possibilities are (nearly) endless.

Callcentric has the best telemarketing blocking solutions of any ITSP I've ever used.

nocturne1

Quote from: Taoman on December 14, 2020, 12:30:59 PM
You need to experiment and familiarize yourself with Callcentric call treatments. They are very powerful.

Yeah, I think in the long run, setting up something like this might make sense. Just in the short run, I'd rather not have CNAM than to get woken up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately there's a zero percent chance of there ever being a legit call on the CC number, whether spam or not.

It's gonna take a bit more time/investment in getting this thing family tolerable, so I guess for now, reverting back to my old direct GV config.

PDX_Mark

If caller ID is not important to you you can use the GV option to always show GV number on those calls, then set up call treatments that block any call not showing that (GV) caller ID . If you need caller ID you can still get in in the GV account I believe.

drgeoff

Quote from: PDX_Mark on December 21, 2020, 03:57:40 AM
If caller ID is not important to you you can use the GV option to always show GV number on those calls, then set up call treatments that block any call not showing that (GV) caller ID . If you need caller ID you can still get in in the GV account I believe.
Please explain what that gains over having the GV calls go directly to the OBi and not going through Callcentric at all?

nocturne1

The entire reason I put CallCentric in the mix was to get caller names. If I just use my GV number, I'll only think I'm calling myself.  ;)

SteveInWA

Quote from: nocturne1 on December 21, 2020, 01:40:22 PM
The entire reason I put CallCentric in the mix was to get caller names. If I just use my GV number, I'll only think I'm calling myself.  ;)

Right.

Taoman gave you the best answer, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17745.msg106230#msg106230

PDX_Mark

if you use asterisk you can see if you get RDNIS rom the DID (that you frward to) . If so, you can use aserisk to receive that DID and read the RDNIS.