News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Almost there... Google Voice

Started by tfsoxct, December 28, 2020, 06:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfsoxct

Thanks to all your help I am almost there... but not yet.

- I have ported my Home Phone to T-Mobile and have linked the number to Google Voice.
- I have an OBi200 and have linked the GV to my OBi.
- When I call the GV number it rings on my OBi linked phone.
- When I call the ported number it rings on my cell phone.
- I can't get the ported number that is linked to GV to ring on my OBi linked phone.
- In GV Settings/Calls/My Devices the OBiTALK Device is ON
- In GV Settings/Calls/Call Forwarding the Linked Number is ON

I have read through the forums and can't find an answer.
Thanks for any help.

Arizona480

Have you ported the former landline number that is currently on T-Mobile into Google Voice yet?  I think you are doing the reverse of what you want to accomplish by hoping that the forwarding T-Mobile number connected to GV will ring back to your Obi200.

I assume your endgame is to have your landline replaced by the Obi200 by using that number as a Google Voice number?

tfsoxct

I might have missed a step. Let me look at that. Thanks.

Arizona480

Quote from: tfsoxct on December 28, 2020, 07:00:06 PM
I might have missed a step. Let me look at that. Thanks.

Make sure that you can send and receive both calls and text to the T-Mobile phone and also that the former landline number shows up as belonging to T-Mobile here:  https://freecarrierlookup.com/ before the GV port in.

tfsoxct

Thanks was it. I just got confused on the steps. I have now ported my T-Mobile number to GV and it rings on OBi. Success!

And I'll say to anyone reading, this process took me about three weeks of trial and error problem solving. It takes some dedication but if I can figure it out anyone can.

Arizona480

Quote from: tfsoxct on December 30, 2020, 05:45:21 AM
Thanks was it. I just got confused on the steps. I have now ported my T-Mobile number to GV and it rings on OBi. Success!

And I'll say to anyone reading, this process took me about three weeks of trial and error problem solving. It takes some dedication but if I can figure it out anyone can.

Excellent, congrats on getting it done!  We have been doing this recently since 4 of us are dumping cable which includes our landlines and getting a streaming account.

The huge advantage is you now have text-messaging too with GV.  Using my landline to call vendors, many of them would text back later and I of course would miss those, not anymore!

SteveInWA

We have been doing this recently since 4 of us are dumping cable which includes our landlines and getting a streaming account.

Just a gentle reminder:  since Google Voice cannot call 911, and you are discontinuing your "landline" telephone service, you need to always have some alternative method to call 911 (e.g. cell phone or an add-on E911 service).

Arizona480

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 30, 2020, 12:36:32 PM
We have been doing this recently since 4 of us are dumping cable which includes our landlines and getting a streaming account.

Just a gentle reminder:  since Google Voice cannot call 911, and you are discontinuing your "landline" telephone service, you need to always have some alternative method to call 911 (e.g. cell phone or an add-on E911 service).

Good Reminder!  We got E911 through CallCentric and my Mom's emergency alert service has been tested with the new line.

The only "hang up" (no pun intended) is you have to dial **(SP#) 911 unless you want to keep it on SP1 and dial out all other numbers with **(SP#).  But, you can at least practice with **(SP#)933 so if you awaken at night groggy with an emergency you will be prepared.