News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 disconnects tonight.. anyone else?

Started by bobbobbob, October 13, 2011, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbobbob

Did anyone else get 2 disconnects tonight?.. say between 7pm cst and 9 cst?

Was talking to my sister.. i have cancelled my land line.. and was hoping to use this as my main phone.... but it dropped my call/ hung up on me twice tonight... I would try to make a call after .. and said service was unavailable.. and my sister couldnt call back.. said was unavail.. this happened twice.. like around 7:45pm and 8:45pm or so..in each case.. the outages probably lasted 20-40 seconds... this happen to anyone else?.. this happen frequently??.. just asking as i recently bought this device.. and would have still time to return it etc..

I have a 3mbit dsl line.. of which i was not downloading a thing.. and wifi isnt even enabled.. so someone stealing my bandwidth is unlikely.. and 3mbit should be more than enuff for this device.. ( yes? ) :P

thanks much.

bobbobbob

happened again today.. a 3mb/s dsl line should be More then enuff to handle this right?

so 3 d/c's in 2 days atm...it was working rather ok on a 10mb line.. w/ a landline.

only thing i changed was dropped the land line. Dropped from 10mb to 3mb.

Do i need QoS engaged?.. i dont have it on atm... nor the micro$oft stuff.. what protocal stacks do i need running? I did send a tech support request in

thanks much.

Stewart

Log into your DSL modem and check the stats.  If your last resync or reestablishment of the PPP connection occurred at the time of or after the dropped call, that is almost certainly your problem.  Also, confirm that the S/N margins are decent, at least 10 dB in each direction.

When you changed from 10 Mbps to 3 Mbps service, was anything changed at your home (new modem or router, new wire from the ISP)?  If so, please provide details.

Assuming that your service is Google Voice, you might troubleshoot this problem by shutting down the OBi for a few days and using Gmail to make and receive calls.  If they still get dropped, you'll know that the OBi is not at fault.  Alternatively, you might run a continuous ping to your ISPs first gateway.  When the OBi drops a call, check whether there were lots of lost packets.

If no luck, post details about ISP, modem, separate router (if any), service(s) used on OBi, etc.

bobbobbob

Thank you for the reply.. I will try and take a look at the stuff you suggested... Im a computer guy.. but some of this phone stuff is in a language im not quite up to par on yet.

As to the drop from 10 to 3.. no.. as far as i am Aware.. / been told by telco nothing was changed.. but i am unaware of their SOP for disconnecting a land line and then dropping the bandwidth some.

Fyi - i am using a belkin router.
- Should i have UPnP enabled on the router?.. it has been off and currently is off atm.. ive heard not so great things in the past but apparently it is ok to use now so ive read.

any problems w/ the belkin firewall on the router?.. Any ports Voip needs opened on the router?.. thanks much..

RonR

The best way to determine if your router is part of the problem is to temporarily eliminate it, if possible.  Connect the OBi directly to the modem, power-cycling both units after making the connection.

If the problem continues without the router in the loop, the router is clearly not the cause.

If the problem goes away without the router in it loop, it's certainly suspect.

Stewart

IMO, it's very unlikely that a router config problem would result in dropping a call that is already in progress.

AFAIK, the OBi does not require or use UPnP in any way.

What model modem do you have?  Configured as router?  Can you log into it and view stats?  If so, what do they show?  If not, what trouble are you having?  What model Belkin?  Is PPPoE (ISP user name and password) entered on modem or on router?  What service(s) do you have set up on the OBi?  If more than one, is the issue limited to one?

bobbobbob

Thanks Ron ( again ! )..

Tech support got back to me ( rather quickly.. just an fyi ).. and they had a firmware update for me to apply.. ( could have sworn i never saw the triangle there before.. or i would have upgraded the firmware ).. I went ahead and applied the update ( just an fyi.. via web didnt work.. but the ***6 did )..

stupid question.. but has the default login credentials for the Obi changed?... i was looking at :http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc304466377.. and it gives the default userid and password... it wouldnt let me in.. I did verify the obi's IP by both looking at my router and the ***1 method.. so im pretty sure im using the correct url/ip.

As for the router.. i have a dummy switch i can use.. to swap it out.. but dont wanna change too many things at once.. ill see if this firmware update does the trick.. ( again.. it looks like it just appeared today.. wasnt there before.. perhaps one just for my device? )

Sorry for the Newb-ness.. thanks for the patience.. and support...

bobbobbob

Quote from: Stewart on October 14, 2011, 11:38:42 AM
IMO, it's very unlikely that a router config problem would result in dropping a call that is already in progress.

AFAIK, the OBi does not require or use UPnP in any way.

What model modem do you have?  Configured as router?  Can you log into it and view stats?  If so, what do they show?  If not, what trouble are you having?  What model Belkin?  Is PPPoE (ISP user name and password) entered on modem or on router?  What service(s) do you have set up on the OBi?  If more than one, is the issue limited to one?

@Stewart : Thanks for the reply

Model is a :Embark ( zyxel ) 660R dsl modem.

DSL modem is configured in Bridge mode atm.. as its connected to a router.

Going to call my isp.. im not 100% how to get into my dsl modem now as its in bridge mode.

Model Belkin is : F5D9230-4 v4 - Wireless G plus MMO Router.. .. Wifi is Disabled... firewall on router ENabled.

Dont think its PPPoE : as ive never had to enter a userid or password on the modem.. or my router.

SErvice i connect to is Only - Google Voice.. nothing else.

Again.. seemed to work ok at 10mbs.. i killed my land line and dropped to 3mbs.. ( which Should be enough yes?. .assuming a valid good latency connection )... nothing else was changed by me... what my telco changed is another story.. have no idea.

I will test out the new FW update.. run it through the mill.. and will see how it goes... Thanks all for the support.. appreciate your time.

bobbobbob

Ok.. contacted Centurylink dsl support :

short of it : Everything appears to be in order in regards to the line :

details :
---------

- line is provisioned at : 3516/572
- 3% is in use for sync.. 97% left for customer usage.
- S/N ratio is 31 ( which i hear is not bad?.. as 50 is top limit.. and higher numbers are better? )
- Attenuation is 2 ( lower the better yes?.. ) im appearently 1500 feet from whatever device they have me hooked to.
- Century link speed tests : to/from NY 117ms 2.35 down 0.37 up.. Atlanta speed tests are comparable to NY's

As i was talking to the tech during the download/upload tests... During download could hear a little noise.. not bad... during upload it was horrible.. he couldnt hear me at all... but then again.. during my previous tests.. my computer was pretty idle..and it still dropped..guess thats just an indication as to how little Upload speed a isp gives you..

I did move back to 10mbit.. will be online monday.. was only $5 to go from 3mbit back to 10mbit.. so probably worth it. Cuts into the money i was trying to save though.. but oh well..

Thanks much all.. trying to find a way to test it now.. without talking someones ear off :)... maybe a timeclock call.. not sure.. or just call tech support again and wait on hold.. rofls.... cyaz.

Stewart

You could call a milliwatt test number, e.g. 1-415-421-0020.  This will play a loud tone for nine seconds out of every ten.  It should stay connected for at least one hour.  You can set the phone down and go about other business; it will be obvious if the call drops.  Although your modem stats are excellent, you should still run a ping at the same time, just to confirm that when the call drops your Internet connection had not been interrupted.

Occasionally, even a line with low attenuation, etc. will lose sync because of a mechanical problem, e.g. bad splice or jack.  So, see whether your modem gives information about how long ago it last acquired sync or established the PPP connection.  If your Belkin is doing the PPP, it will have a stat showing how long it has been connected.

bobbobbob

2 phone calls last night.. 2 drops.. some other odd things now... when i 1st connect to the person im calling.. my voice to them is rather low in volume. Also, when i call my bank / phone company.. ie.. any automated service where you have to enter your account number / bank number.e.tc..... the numbers i press seem to only register to the system about 10% of the time. When i had this phone on my land line had zero issues w/ that.

Are the other VOIP services that the OBI can hook up to any good?..

Guess i will remove the router in the equation... and get my dsl modem out of bridge mode.. and see if by a very odd chance its my belkin router... otherwise i guess ill look for a diff voip provider than GV.

chief3202

2 disconnects using google voice after 15 minutes into conversation.  I never had this trouble before and the problem seems to get more intense daily.  Any suggestions or fix available?  This problems only started after the new firmware update..

Thanks
Chief