News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

choppy outbound audio

Started by kd1yt, April 03, 2016, 10:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd1yt

Hello all-

Got my Obi202 about 6 months ago and have since continually rejoiced at leaving behind my overpriced and unreliable/static-y landline and staggeringly unhelpful regional telephone company.

My 'reception' of hearing in-bound audio from those I talk with is universally excellent, but under some circumstances, people tell me that my outbound audio to them is choppy or drops words or syllables.

I got the Obi 202 specifically so that it can and will prioritize VOIP over other bandwidth-using demands in my home.

My ISP is a wireless ISP ("WISP") that uses 4G WIMAX; I am on a subscription plan that is supposed to provide 3.00 Mbps down/ 1.00 Mbps up. Self-tests such as speedtest.net appear to confirm that I'm getting well better than that- right now about double that in both directions.

In order to make full use of the Obi 202's prioritization of voice over other data usage, the ethernet cord 'feed' from my home site's WIMAX transceiver goes directly into the Obi 202, before then going on to the wifi router than serves everything else in the household. That router is a 5-6 year old Netgear WGR614- but it seems like that shouldn't affect my Obi call quality, as the router is downstream of the Obi 202

I've also tried to run some testing of the quality [in addition to speed] of the internet connection that I have, using http://freeola.com/line-test/ -- though for reasons that elude my level of amateurish IT skills, my laptop won't recognize the internet connection unless the internet cord from the laptop is connected to one of the Netgear WGR614's output ports- the laptop will not recognize the internet connectivity if the laptop is connected directly into the spot (on the WIMAX transceiver's power supply) where I usually connect the Netgear router to the WIMAX transceiver. Anyways, measured downstream of the Netgear WGR614 (and I don't know how much of this awfulness is interjected by the Netgear) the 'quality' looks awful- latency readings around 170-190ms and jitter readings around 65-80ms- and the graphical depiction looks like a nasty sawblade, with the peaks of crummy-ness of connection far exceeding the average crummy-ness of the connection. Again, because I have been unable so far to connect the laptop directly to the WIMAX transceiver without the Netgear WGR614 in-between, I don't know whether that lousiness of connection parameters is being injected by the Netgear after the Obi, or whether the Obi, too, is seeing those high levels of latency and jitter.

I can "up" my level of service through my WISP to 6.00 Mbps/ 2.00 Mbps for an additional $10.00 per month, but I prefer not to just be throwing money at random stabs in the dark vs. spending money on things that will really make a difference.

Also, in case it sheds any light, the call quality deficiencies of my outgoing audio are distinctly worst (compared to other callers) for my girlfriend, who gets her phone service over Charter Communications - though other people who have standard purely traditional phones through the local telephone co also sometimes have periods of phone calls with me in which they miss or have a hard time understanding my outgoing audio.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

RELM

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having a similar issue.

Arizona480

Quote from: RELM on April 06, 2021, 03:45:25 PM
Did you ever solve this issue? I'm having a similar issue.

Generally this is a "Jitter" problem through your ISP if random or bad wiring or equipment if frequent and not the fault of the ISP.   

Run a few tests at random times and see if your Jitter remains under 30 ms.  If you get choppy audio complaints, test immediately during your call. 

https://www.fusionconnect.com/speed-test-plus/

alivoiper

I've had this issue , too.

Did you try going to your router to NAT Filter and make sure that you disabled SIP ALG?