News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Upgrading from an Obihai 200 to 202

Started by Sandia505, April 11, 2021, 03:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandia505

I currently use a 200 unit with 2 sp's and wish to move to a 202 unit to have the second SP appear as a separate line since I already have the second line with google voice anyway.

Are there any drawbacks to this configuration and how easy will it be to retire the old 200 and move to the 202?

Thanks,
Dan

drgeoff

Quote from: Sandia505 on April 11, 2021, 03:28:56 PM
I currently use a 200 unit with 2 sp's and wish to move to a 202 unit to have the second SP appear as a separate line since I already have the second line with google voice anyway.

Are there any drawbacks to this configuration and how easy will it be to retire the old 200 and move to the 202?

Thanks,
Dan
No drawbacks except:

1.  You may have a protracted time getting the new OBi added to your dashboard.  This is a prerequisite to configuring GV services on it but the portal has been hit and miss ("miss" being the vast majority) for many months.  So don't take the 200 out of service before the 202 is fully operational.  Or you can have both in service connected to the GV numbers.

2.  There is no simple way to transfer the 200's configuration to the 202.  You will have to configure the 202 from scratch.

Sandia505

I managed to add the new device by logging into my Obitalk portal for the old 200 unit, dialing the access code of **5 3415. this added it but now I need to know how to tranfer to the new unit, I tried the link feature but that did nothing.  I also need to figure out how to delete the retired 100 unit that still shows up, under my obi devices I see both units my old unit has SP1 and SP2 with the 2 numbers I want to move to the new unit,  the new OBI202 shows SP1 and SP2 showing google voice but no numbers.    I would past a screen dump but there is no option to allow me to do that so where do I go from here?  thanks

Arizona480

Quote from: drgeoff on April 11, 2021, 04:20:50 PM

No drawbacks except:
2.  There is no simple way to transfer the 200's configuration to the 202.  You will have to configure the 202 from scratch.

If you backed up the configuration file on the 200, you can at least view any custom settings you had such as ringer types, Rx/Tx settings, etc. in a web browser that you may want to adjust on the 202.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sandia505 on April 14, 2021, 06:46:12 PM
I managed to add the new device by logging into my Obitalk portal for the old 200 unit, dialing the access code of **5 3415. this added it but now I need to know how to tranfer to the new unit, I tried the link feature but that did nothing.  I also need to figure out how to delete the retired 100 unit that still shows up, under my obi devices I see both units my old unit has SP1 and SP2 with the 2 numbers I want to move to the new unit,  the new OBI202 shows SP1 and SP2 showing google voice but no numbers.    I would past a screen dump but there is no option to allow me to do that so where do I go from here?  thanks
1.  You don't transfer.  You configure SP1 and SP2.

2.  Use delete button as on screenshot.

Sandia505

I went ahead and added the 2 numbers to SP1 and SP2 to the new unit.  I have unplugged it but not yet tried to delete the Obi200 yet.

I did try to delete the old 100 unit but  I do not have that delete button you pointed out on your post.  I went through all the menus but cant find anything to allow me to delete it.  I attached a screen dump hopefully it will post up.  Once I think the new unit is up to speed I will plug the old one back in and grab the settings off of it.  I do know I had made some ringer changes that will need to be mapped over once that is done I will retire and delete the old 200. Thanks again for all your help.

Dan

drgeoff

Quote from: Sandia505 on April 15, 2021, 02:14:41 PM
I went ahead and added the 2 numbers to SP1 and SP2 to the new unit.  I have unplugged it but not yet tried to delete the Obi200 yet.

I did try to delete the old 100 unit but  I do not have that delete button you pointed out on your post.  I went through all the menus but cant find anything to allow me to delete it.  I attached a screen dump hopefully it will post up.  Once I think the new unit is up to speed I will plug the old one back in and grab the settings off of it.  I do know I had made some ringer changes that will need to be mapped over once that is done I will retire and delete the old 200. Thanks again for all your help.

Dan
That is not an OBi100 or any other Analogue Telephone Adapter.  That is the softphone on your account. Compare the 9 digit OBi number in your screenshot with the one on the underside of your OBi100. The softphone cannot be deleted.  At some point you have changed the name from the default "Softphone".

Sandia505

I guess I wont worry about the smartphone issue,  one thing I am having a problem with is if I call either the SP1 number both SP1 and SP2 ring, same thing if I call the SP2 number SP1 rings as well.   I did delete the SP2 entry for the old 200 unit which is powered down and disconnect but not yet deleted from the dashboard.  Perhaps when I delete the old unit everything will work correctly.  I did want to ask if there is a way to completely dump the setting out of the old 200 before I delete it from the dashboard?  Thanks

azrobert

You can't delete the softphone, but you can hide it. You can fix the ringing problem with OBi Expert. It doesn't hurt to leave the OBi200 on the dashboard. I would keep the OBi200 for backup, just unplug it.

From the dashboard, click Edit Profile.
Check Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard.
Uncheck View Softphone on Dashboard
Submit

To the right of the OBi202 click the ICON with the red E
Click Voice Services then click SP1 Service
To the right of X_InboundCallRoute uncheck both boxes
Now change the Value to: ph
Click Submit at bottom of page

Click Voice Services then click SP2 Service
To the right of X_InboundCallRoute uncheck both boxes
Now change the Value to: ph2
Click Submit at bottom of page

You don't need to use OBi Expert to fix the ringing problem. I don't own an OBi202, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it. Just click on SP1 from the dashboard and you should be able to figure it out.

SteveInWA

Perhaps you're unclear on how the OBi 202 works, from a physical telephone line standpoint.

Both the OBi 200 and the 202 support up to four different SIP service provider registrations in firmware; SP1 -- SP4.  You define which telephone service providers are being used by each SPx.  This is separate from the physical routing of the analog telephone signals to the phone jack(s).

The OBi 200 has only one physical telephone line interface (the RJ-11 phone jack on the back). The OBi 202 has two separate phone line interfaces (Phone 1 and Phone 2).  It is up to you, to configure the OBi 202 to use those two jacks (they are firmware-controlled, not simply fixed-function).  See the screenshot attached.

You don't need to use OBi Expert to do that.  The phone line settings are on the basic configuration page for each SP.  Add or remove check marks to determine the behavior of those two jacks.  See the screenshot attached.

Next, understand how those jacks are electrically-wired:

• The Phone 1 jack is a four-conductor, RJ-14 jack.  The center two pins are line 1.  The outer two pins are line 2.  This is designed to be used with a two-line telephone that also has a RJ-14 jack. That jack connects both physical lines to a two-line telephone via one four-conductor telephone cord.
  • The Phone 2 jack is a two-conductor, RJ-11 jack.  Its center two pins are connected to line 2.  It is designed for use with two separate one-line telephones, whereby you'd plug the Phone 1 cord into one telephone, and the phone 2 cord into the other telephone.  Optionally, some two-line telephones have two jacks, one for each line.  You'd plug two cords between the respective jacks on the OBi 202 and the phone.

So, you have two tasks to get right:  define which phone line signals route to which jacks, and wire them correctly to your telephone(s).

None of this is influenced by your separate OBi 200 device.  It doesn't matter if that device is on or off, connected or not connected.  The 202 is a separate device with a separate configuration.

Sandia505

I checked the wiring as per your diagram only tip and ring is wired to Line 1 the same for Line 2.  No matter what I tried both lines still ring, I also an having problems completing call and having the 202 show not connected on line 1.

I reset everything and tried again and I could not solve both lines ringing on incoming calls and still had the problem with line 1 dropping and showing no connect.   I removed the 202, put back the 200 and deleted the 202.  At least I can now complete an outgoing call and having it actually connect and not have it ring then disconnect or give me a recording saying the call was rejected by the provider or some other error.

I know these are not network errors on my end, I even tried moving the Obi's to a DMZ port directly on my router and that made no difference.  The connect issues is why I replaced the 200 with the 202 unit thinking it was the problem but now I wonder if it really google voice.  As much as I hate to admit it maybe it is time to consider another service provider such as Anveo.  I have no clue about what I would do with the SP2 number, I imagine the SP1 would go over to Anveo but the SP2 stay with Google voice or lost?

SteveInWA

Did you ignore the part of my post, including a screenshot, where I explain how to control which phone line rings for each SP?

Sandia505

No sir, I followed it exactly as you posted it but unfortunately it did not work for me,  I even tried different configurations of PH, PH1 and PH2 none of the variation worked.  And on top of that I kept having problems not completing calls from time to time.  I would then go in and see not connected.   

I consider myself a novice at this and consider those making suggestion experts and follow their instructions.
Unfortunately my Google voice service has been having issues since late Feb. of this year.  One of the reasons I upgraded to the 202 was because I thought my 200 was going bad.  This does not to be the case.  I have read that many are having issues and one of the reasons some are bailing on google going to other carriers.

I cannot complain,  Google voice was good to me for many years and it was free, but I depend on it too much and now I might just need to pony up and switch to a service where I can get online support when something does not work.  I have decided to bail on the 202 and have re-installed the 200, it is working right now but who knows for how long.  I really thank all that have tried to help ;D but perhaps this is just beyond me and my technical ability. :-\