News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Address book for the OBi2182

Started by RodgerDJr, April 16, 2021, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RodgerDJr

Good Afternoon all,

I am using Google Voice and would like to import some of my contacts not all of them to the phone is there a way of doing that?  I know this would be a good time to clean up my contacts.  Could I create a new gmail and import my contact to that account and then import those contacts or do the contact have to come from the google voice account I already have setup? 

Is there a way to just take a CSV file and import it into the phone?

Thanks again,
Rodger

RodgerDJr

OK so I think I figured out a way to do this without importing all of my contacts. 

• I exported my current list to a CSV I was able to just select the ones I wanted to export.
  • I opened the file in Excel and edited the contacts.
  • I then created a NEW Google Account just for my contacts.
  • I imported the list into the NEW Google Account I just created.
  • I want back in to OBiTalk and imported the contacts from the New Google Account.

I only did one contact at the moment as I wanted to prove that the concept would work.  I will work on the rest of my address book now.  It really looks like there are only a few fields it will take in so there is no need to try and do a large cleanup or anything.  Just name and number and maybe a grouping, but I am not sure which field that would be in Google. 

I will come back and update once I get all of my contacts imported, and let you know if there any tips or things to watch out for.

Rodger

jccpa

What method are you using to import the Google contacts? Is there a way to keep google contacts sync'd with your Obi devices?

I don't have or use GV Suite, which I've read in comments isn't supported in the 2182?

Share your success and wisdom ;)

drgeoff

Quote from: jccpa on April 26, 2021, 07:01:46 AM
What method are you using to import the Google contacts? Is there a way to keep google contacts sync'd with your Obi devices?
No, AIUI you need to do a new import when you make a change to your Google contacts.

jccpa

Quote from: drgeoff on April 26, 2021, 11:19:06 AM

No, AIUI you need to do a new import when you make a change to your Google contacts.

And select on 2182 to skip duplicates. I tried it last night.

So how do we search the contacts on the phone to find a contact?

Maybe I overloaded it with too many contacts. When I only had some imported, I could hit the keypad of the letter to search and then go through those with the scroll.

But now it doesn't do that.

Is there a page-down option on the phone to scroll through the list?

I really want to like this feature.

Thanks.

FOUND THE BUG in the CONTACT/PHONE BOOK :

If you have a contact that begins with underscore (_), which I do to keep it visually separate from the rest of the contacts, the single keypress to search the contacts DOES NOT WORK!

After I removed that contact, it works.