News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV accounts not connecting on 1 device

Started by skipro-tahoe, April 30, 2021, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipro-tahoe

If my Google Voice accounts do not connect to my OBi account #1 and OBi device #1 on the OBitalk portal, but the same GV accounts connect with my other OBi accounts and devices, is this a problem with their server or my OBi device? It would appear it is a failure of their server for this OBi account connecting to GV accounts, having nothing to do with my OBi device.
Is my device integral in the connection or just a means to the connection?

SteveInWA

Quote from: skipro-tahoe on April 30, 2021, 02:44:04 PM
If my Google Voice accounts do not connect to my OBi account #1 and OBi device #1 on the OBitalk portal, but the same GV accounts connect with my other OBi accounts and devices, is this a problem with their server or my OBi device? It would appear it is a failure of their server for this OBi account connecting to GV accounts, having nothing to do with my OBi device.
Is my device integral in the connection or just a means to the connection?

Your post is too confusingly-worded to understand.  Looking at your posting history, I saw that you do a lot of fiddling with OBi devices, and you may not understand the details of how they work.

Use ONE OBiTALK account to manage OBiTALK devices that are connecting to a Google Voice phone number.

A Google Voice number can support multiple OBiTALK registrations.  For example, I have two OBi ATAs and two OBi IP phones, all simultaneously registered to the same Google Voice service.

The OBiTALK portal only handles the initial setup of the service provider to Google Voice.  Once the device has successfully connected to Google Voice, there is no ongoing involvement with the OBiTALK portal.  Google Voice is simply using a SIP VoIP client/server registration, like any other SIP VoIP provider.  The only difference is the authentication method.

skipro-tahoe

Let's start over.
I have 3 OBi devices in 3 locations. Each device has it's own OBi account or OBi portal. I have 3 GV accounts/phone #s. All 3 OBi devices [and OBi accounts] have the same 3 GV accounts/#s, same setup on all devices and OBi accounts.
On 2 devices the GV accts connect on the OBi portal. On the 3rd device, all 3 GV accts do not connect.

My question is, is this an OBi server issue or my device? Does my device have anything to do with the lack of connection as seen on the OBi portal?

Can you have more than 1 device on a single OBi account? I always assumed you had to have a unique account for each device? If you can have all devices on 1 account, what is the best way to move the devices? Just delete and add?

SteveInWA

You can have multiple Google Voice numbers, each on a different Google/Gmail account, registered on multiple OBiTALK devices.  The devices should all be connected to one OBiTALK account.

I prefer not to use my Google account as the sign-in credentials for OBiTALK.  The risk is if you forget you've done that, and down the road delete that Google account.  Instead, sign into OBiTALK using a username and password (and obviously, don't lose it).

Pick one existing OBiTALK account, or create a new one with a username and password.  Delete the devices off of the OBiTALK dashboards on the other accounts.

Sign into the Google accounts and delete the "OBiTALK Device" entries from the settings page (https://voice.google.com/u/0/settings).

Go to your Google account settings and delete the Google Voice/OBiTALK service permission off of each account (see the screenshot below):

https://myaccount.google.com/permissions

Make sure all three devices are on firmware 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).

Add all three devices to one OBiTALK account.  Verify that each one can call the echo test number (**9 222 222 222).

Do all of the following steps from a desktop/laptop web browser.  If you're using Firefox, press Ctrl-Shift-P to open a private browsing window.  If you're using Google Chrome Browser, Microsoft Edge or Safari, press Ctrl-Shift-N to open an incognito window.  This is important, to avoid having multiple Google accounts signed into the same browser at the same time. 

Sign into the OBiTALK account, then press Ctrl-T to open another incognito/private browser tab in the same window, and sign into the correct Google account.

Configure all three Google accounts on three of the SPx slots on each device, one device at a time.  Each time you do this, close and re-open the incognito/private window, again, to have only one Google account in the browser's cache.

This only works for consumer gmail.com accounts; Google Workspace (formerly G-Suite) accounts won't work.

skipro-tahoe

Steve,
Thank you for the detailed response.
But to my primary question, is the failure to connect to the GV accts on the OBi portal an issue with the OBi server/portal or an issue with my device? Does my device have anything to do with the lack of connection to GV as seen on the OBi portal? Would rebooting the device accomplish anything?
Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Obviously, rebooting the device is a harmless and simple step to take to see if it fixes the problem.  As to the portal issue, that's why I listed the steps in my previous post.  Do those steps if a reboot doesn't help.

skipro-tahoe

Steve,
Thank you for your help. Problem solved.

On a similar issue, my OBi device to OBi device calls between 2 of my devices [dialing the soft phone #] drop after a short time. Any idea what may be causing this?

drgeoff

Quote from: skipro-tahoe on May 03, 2021, 06:55:35 AM
Steve,
Thank you for your help. Problem solved.

On a similar issue, my OBi device to OBi device calls between 2 of my devices [dialing the soft phone #] drop after a short time. Any idea what may be causing this?
I'm surprised you get any call time between your OBI devices after dialling a softphone number.  :)

skipro-tahoe