News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Panasonic KX-TG9471 phone does not ring

Started by jeff_in_dallas, April 30, 2021, 02:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff_in_dallas

I'm hoping someone has some crazy specific insight. This is a little 2-line phone system we use. I have line 2 connected to an OBI200. The phone system will not ring or indicate an inbound call - but I can blindly answer the call and be connected just fine. Line one, connected to a relatively normal POTS phone service (supplied by Comcast so it's really VOIP but whatever) works fine.

I changed the Ringer voltage to 82volts and 90volts, no change, I also changed the ring waveform to trapezoidal, no change. Are there other settings that affect a phone's recognition of an inbound call? Settings that, hopefully, do not interfere with the other workings of the phone as everything else appears great - call volume, dialtones, etc...

In the WTF TLDR department:
So, then on the back of the phone, I swapped the physical inbound phone lines - plugged OBI into line 1, and POTS into line 2. And everything rings fine, both lines 1 and 2 behave as expected. So, my thought was the problem is in the phone system. But that doesn't explain why Line 2 would ring with the POTS system. If it was only in the phone, you'd expect line 2 to not ring when the POTS line was connected. I switched them back and the problem reoccurs, line 2 won't ring with OBI. *Sigh* I have a history with VOIP and Panasonic phones, not a good one. But I like this phone :-)

You may ask, why not just leave the working config Line 1=OBI line 2=POTS? I use the OBI as a backup and rollover line. I would prefer outbound calls (most of our communication) to go out over that main line. So, yes, I CAN do that, I'd prefer not to.

SteveInWA

I've used Panasonic DECT phones for, pardon the pun, decades.  I have never had a ring issue with one connected to an OBi.

It's likely that you have a wiring error.  The OBi 202 has two phone jacks, Phone 1 and Phone 2.

Phone 1 is a four-conductor, RJ-14 jack.  The center two pins are electrically connected to the Phone 1 signal.  The outer two pins are electrically connected to the Phone 2 signal.  This is designed for attachment to two-line phone systems that also have a RJ-14 jack, via a four-conductor telephone cord.

Phone 2 is a two-conductor, RJ-11 jack.  The center two pins are electrically connected to Phone 2, and there are no outer two pins.  This is designed for connection to a separate telephone from a two-line phone, or to a two-line phone that doesn't have a RJ-14 jack.

Remove BOTH telephone cords.  Plug a two-conductor cord into the Phone 1 jack on the OBi.  Go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and configure your Google Voice SP to use Phone 1.  Plug the other end of that cord into your desired line jack on the phone.  Connect a TWO-conductor cord between the Comcast MTU and the other line on the phone.  Do not use any four-conductor cords.

SteveInWA

Here is a screenshot of the portion of the OBiTALK device dashboard for a OBi 202, showing the various ways one can route calls to the physical phone ports.  You change these settings in the individual settings page for each SP.

drgeoff

@jeff_in_dallas

1. Please clarify if you have an OBi200 (which has 1 phone jack) or an OBi202 (which has 2 phone jacks).

2.  Please ASAP use the Remove button to delete the extra copies of your post.

SteveInWA

Okay.  Assume the OP is actually using an OBi 200, not a 202.  In that case, he still needs to ensure he has not cross-connected the two services (Comcast vs. OBi).