News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there a known issue with Obitalk servers right now?

Started by Lelobi, November 02, 2020, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzion

Quote from: drgeoff on February 07, 2021, 02:32:41 PM
https://www.poly.com/us/en/support/knowledge-base/kb-article-page?type=Troubleshooting__kav&lang=en_US&urlName=KB24053&t=All&k=

Support responded to me to try everything I already tried, I advised I did, so they said to keep trying due to intermittent issues.

However, perhaps something is being done of it per https://status.obitalk.com/ :

Hi PDMS-SP Users,

PDMS-SP services will be upgraded to improve performance. During this time, the service may be slightly interrupted. Thank you for your patience.

Team PDMS-SP
Posted on Feb 10, 01:54 UTC

Fingers crossed. I'll try registering again tomorrow.

fuzion

Maintenance concluded not long ago. I attempted to add it, and was successful the second time around!

LoneStarState

I've been trying for weeks to Add Device which is a Obi202. Literally over 2000 times attempts on ObiTALK Add Device **5 xxxx at differing times of day and night and days of the week.  I am able to dial ***1 for the Obi's address.  Checked for Device Update. I pass the echo test, changed DNSServer1 to 4.2.2.2, have opened all the recommended ports and tried many other settings on my router.  My ISP, AT&T U-verse, has verified the ports Obi recommends are open.  I have sent 2 inquires to support via email, one general inquiry and last one with a carefully crafted email detailing every step I have taken and the exact equipment I have as well who is my ISP.  They did not even bother to read it and just sent a off topic form response of the same garbage on first step recommended fix's and what to do to fix google voice that does not apply when you can't add device.  I've called two support people, one could only say to keep trying and the other was not familiar with a BGW210-700 router provided by AT&T U-verse which is pathetic since problems like this is why I chose to go with a router/modem that was widely used by a ISP widely used in order for support/tech to be familiar with such equipment.  Support person did not know how to forward/open ports because apparently BGW210 uses NAT/Gaming and not DMZ.  I don't understand any of this crud to be honest and never wanted to!  I was under the impression from Obi/Poly advertisement and public info Obi/Poly produced that the Obi202 was basically a plug and play device.  I have spent well over 40 plus hours trying to figure this crud out and dialing and redialing **5 xxxx.  I'm so sick of dialing, researching and reading technical junk, never knowing if my efforts are in vain and if I will ever be able to use this device I was led to believe was a solid ready to go established operating device/service.  I made decisions and changes I cant reverse based on this device working and working with Google Voice.  I now know that this Add Device issue with Obi/Poly Servers go back years and years.  In my research I have found the Add Device issue goes back over a decade.  Obi have repeatedly claimed they know of the intermittent problem, know why and are working it with the same answer to Obi Owners to just keep trying.  Just keep trying as a solution from a self admitted product/service defect is not what I expect from a corporation much less one that is affiliated with Google.  Something just does not add up?  There has to be a better answer for Obi owners than to keep trying and not even knowing if their systems settings are correct for the apparently finicky Obi/Poly servers or if they will ever be able to use their device they paid for do to no fault of their own and their wasted personal time lost forever trying to use equipment and services that they were sold as functioning properly.

rbowles

Dear Poly/ObiHAI support team:

**5 is broken right now because the HTTPS (TCP port 443) that the phone connects to apparently in response to dialing **5 is DOWN. 

Down in this case is easily seen with a simple packet capture.  Down in this case could be a firewall/access-list just dropping the connection attempt.  The SERVER is up, it is pingable and Obitalk protocol is flowing.

The server is not responding at all on port 443.    See attached PCAP.

rbowles

Aaaaannnnd, that port just started responding so I rushed over to the phone and dial **5 and it worked.

rbowles

So based on my limited and gentle poking at it, intermittent is an accurate description of the HTTPS service that catches the phone's **5

If it is more than one server behind a load balancer, it feels like a broken load balancer configuration (and the LB isn't detecting and avoid a broken server behind it).

If it is only one server at that IP address, it is wildly overloaded?  But maybe in an odd way since ever overloaded web servers will accept new TCP connections until they run out of resource and return immediate ICMP messages (maybe).  Who knows. 

Please fix this, I'd offer to help for free ... I love these devices and the host provisioning service.

Pete11566

New here, have just hooked up the Obi and trying to get started.   Having same trouble as many of you before me.

Someone posted that port 443 wasn't responding, but then once it was he was able to connect.    For a dumb guy like me, can you explain how to figure that part out so I can quit trying every few mins and just try the telnet first to see if it would work?

Or, if anyone has any other ideas... would appreciate the help.

drgeoff

Quote from: Pete11566 on April 02, 2021, 11:49:21 AM
New here, have just hooked up the Obi and trying to get started.   Having same trouble as many of you before me.

Someone posted that port 443 wasn't responding, but then once it was he was able to connect.    For a dumb guy like me, can you explain how to figure that part out so I can quit trying every few mins and just try the telnet first to see if it would work?

Or, if anyone has any other ideas... would appreciate the help.
If you can successfully call the echo test number **9 222 222 222 it is very unlikely that there is any problem with your equipment or its configuration and there is nothing you can change which will help.

I don't voice any opinion about the validity of the port 443 comment. But my understanding is that the non-responding port was at the Obihai servers.  That is not something that end-users like you or I can change.

bmingw

I have 3 year old obi200 which worked well, until 2 weeks ago started disconnecting/reconnecting almost randomly.  I say randomly because from GV alert emails know that disconnect/reconnect always happened at 00 or 15 or 30 or 45 minutes of random hour.  Reset didn't help, so what tried next was deleted from obitalk only to find could not add back.  In addition to self-troubleshooting, I even bought new obi200, tried at friends house different router, tried making new account to add.  Also frustrating is that obitalk status webpage reported many outages Jan-Mar, but "100% uptime" past 2 weeks that I've had problems.  I'm out of ideas, will keep trying **5, probably return new obi200 as seems was not hardware problem with old one.

Taoman