News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Forward Incomng PSTN call to Google Voicemail

Started by gerry, February 18, 2011, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

I've configured OBI for Google Voice, and can make calls with no problem.
I have have a regular PSTN connected to my LINE. I want to forward that on No Answer or Busy, to Google Voice mail. I've tried setting Call Forward via the Star commands, or on the device itself, but with no luck so far - the phone continues to ring.
Any advice appreciated.

Gerry

jimates

Not sure about the configuration of the Obi to forward the calls but I will put some info here that will be useful for somebody that wants to also do this.
I would also like to know the configuration when you get it to work so I can set mine up that way. Hadn't thought about it until now.

on the GV end,
make sure you put your PSTN number in the contacts and set it to go straight to voicemail. If not it will have to ring another 4 times after being forwarded before GV voicemail picks up.
You can also create a group just for that number, and record and use a special voicemail greeting for it.

If your pstn phone is also in your list of forwarding phones for GV make sure it is not set for direct access to voicemail

gerry

Yes, the only way I made this work pre-OBI, was to have a second Google Voice account, which is set up as Do Not Disturb, and therefore call forwarding went straight to VM and didn't incur an additional 4 rings. Ideally it would be good to have an option in GV which allows you to forward directly to VM.

I'm assuming I would have to use an additional Google Voice number using OBI too. What I haven't been able to do is get Call Forwarding to work on the incoming PSTN line.

OBi-Guru

Try Physical-Interfaces->Line-Port->Calling Features, where you can configure all those forwarding options.
And you can send it over to SP2 (you may configure 2nd GV acct there with DND to avoid the additional rings).

e.g.  sp2(12125551212)

jimates

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as the settings are as I described. Am I not seeing something.

when a call comes in on the pstn line it is forwarded to GV if unanswered.
Settings in the contact for the number send it directly to VM.

if it is set as a forwarding number it will ring with the other phones when someone calls the GV number
GV voicemail will take a unanswered call on it's own after 4 rings

One question, when the Obi forwards the call, is the call considered answered at that point as far as GV is concerned? Meaning if the Obi forwards after 3 rings will GV consider the call as answered & the rest of the GV forwarding phones stop ringing.

gerry

I think you need two GV accounts, otherwise regular calls to your "published" GV number would go straight to VM.

gerry

Thanks Obi-Guru. Looks like Call Forwarding is working fine. I know there's a delay in re-booting the device, but could there be a longer delay than that? When I tried this morning it wasn't working, but later in the day it appeared to work. Perhaps I just hadn't given it enough time to reboot.

Gerry