News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

More Than 2 Service Providers (SP) / Service Trunks

Started by CaptainSteubing, November 03, 2011, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainSteubing

Howdy,

I've seen this request come through in a number of threads.

Can we please have more than the current 2 Service Providers / Service Trunks slots in the OBi's. It looks like it is a technical reality if I understand the new OBiPlus Business beta which has that available. Please allow your regular customers to utilize this functionality in an upcoming firmware release. I don't have enough OBi's to meet the requirements for OBiPlus, since I only need 2 OBi's.

My main requirement is that as it right now I have both Internal and External calls having to come into the same context on my Asterisk server. This isn't the most secure of ways. I need a way to have calls from the Line port and calls from the Phone port go to different contexts in my Asterisk Dialplan.

Thanks!

Stewart

Quote from: CaptainSteubing on November 03, 2011, 02:23:35 PM
... I have both Internal and External calls having to come into the same context on my Asterisk server. This isn't the most secure of ways.
I don't understand the vulnerability.  I assume that all external calls have a fixed destination number (hard coded into the OBi config and not alterable by the caller), which is recognized by your Asterisk config and limits what actions can be taken.

If you are still concerned, you could have the OBi prefix a long secret number to outbound calls from the Phone port.  Your extensions.conf would check for that prefix and jump to a more privileged context.  For example, to call 1-212-555-1212 from the Phone port, the OBi would send 2475203612125551212.  The Asterisk context would reject all outbound calls, unless the number started with 24752036.  If your OBi and Asterisk are on the same LAN, the secret prefix would never be transmitted on the Internet, so it should be reasonably secure.

CaptainSteubing

Thanks for the suggestions and info Stewart.

Quote from: Stewart on November 03, 2011, 06:22:21 PM
If your OBi and Asterisk are on the same LAN, the secret prefix would never be transmitted on the Internet, so it should be reasonably secure.

This is perhaps why I can accept it the way it is for now since they are all on the same network.

IMHO, I think it makes better sense to have a Line port enter a separate inbound context that doesn't have access to the rest of the dialplan. As it stands what I've done is when the call comes in from the Line port and is forwarded to Asterisk I use a Goto statement to catch it and dump it to my PSTN inbound context.

Nonetheless, I still would like to see at least 2 more SP/Service Trunk on the standard OBi's like they're going to be offering on the OBiPlus offering.

JoeThePlumber

Hi Obj support:

I am a non-business user.  I am thinking of using GV as my primary line (for US and Canada calls), CallCentric as my 911 line, and NoNoh as my international line (cheapest to call some country).  Am I able to have 3 providers?  I understand I only have 2 SPs, but I also see you have many "Voice Gateway"s.  Am I able to use Voice Gateways for extra line?

Thanks

VL

Stewart

Quote from: JoeThePlumber on November 07, 2011, 03:47:27 PMAm I able to use Voice Gateways for extra line?
The basic restriction is that a Gateway cannot register.  So, a line configured in a Gateway cannot receive calls.  Some providers also require registration to make calls, but I believe that NoNoh (and other Betamax providers) do not.

You can test this by setting up e.g. X-Lite for NoNoh.  Leave the box "Register with domain and receive calls" unchecked.  If you can still call out, NoNoh should work fine in an OBi Gateway.

RonR

Quote from: JoeThePlumber on November 07, 2011, 03:47:27 PM
Am I able to use Voice Gateways for extra line?

I'm not Obj support, however...

If NoNoh supports making out outgoing calls via SIP URI (i.e. without SIP registration), you would be able to make calls using NoNoh through a Voice Gateway.

If NoNoh supports forwarding incoming calls to a SIP URI, you would be able to receive calls using NoNoh through the OBi.