News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

token error

Started by chiptape, June 09, 2021, 12:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: PusBucket on June 13, 2021, 11:25:11 AM
This didn't achieve even a temporary fix, for me.

Quote from: GeeObi on June 13, 2021, 09:10:29 AM
The fix is as follows:
Use Obi expert and under Service Providers, ITSP, General:
STUNEnable  checked  (you must uncheck the box to the right first)
STUNserver  stun.l.google.com
X_STUNServerPort  19302

For gawd's sake; ignore all alleged fixes by random users on the Internet.  None of them will solve the problem, which is on the Poly/Google interface backend.  You can't fix this yourself.

SteveInWA

Quote from: TheFoxRocks on June 13, 2021, 11:21:50 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on June 12, 2021, 11:13:37 AM
I reported this to Google Voice engineering staff yesterday afternoon.  They have identified the problem and they are working with Poly to resolve it.

To be clear: no action on your part is necessary nor will fix it at this time.  This outage is a good reminder that nobody should depend on Google Voice as their sole source of telephone service, and you can configure your OBiTALK device to use one or more other service providers, such as Callcentric or voip.ms.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any status update to report, since my Google contacts are off for the weekend.  Nonetheless, it's safe to assume that they are working on it, and I will pass along any news I can get.

Hey Steve,

You have my thanks for reaching out on behalf of the community. Please know, that there are people who are thankful for people like yourself. I think people fail to appreciate after buying their OBi (or other) device that they are getting completely free service through Google Voice and expect that free service to always be perfect. I was only relying on Google Voice before. I am using mine as a business phone, I will probably follow your CallCentric guide later today so I have a viable backup. Thanks again!

Thanks for your kind words.  Yeah, I have been spending most of the weekend on this, between this forum, the official Google Voice Help Community, Reddit, and chats with Google Voice staff.

As always, the "tough love" statement:  Consumer Google Voice has never been intended nor recommended for business use.  This a perfect example of why.  Any pittance in phone bills saved by using consumer GV is quickly offset by loss of business or reputation when clients/customers can't reach you.  Google does have a business-class, paid service (https://cloud.google.com/voice/) or use a reliable, proven SIP ITSP such as Callcentric, voip.ms, etc.

hkap

My Obi200 has been having this issue since last few days.

Just for the sake of, i deleted my device from obitalk.com and reconfigured it. I am now connected to google voice service. I am not too sure if this will work for all or if this is just a temporary resolution, but would be worth a try.

Here are some high level steps:
1) Log on to ObiTalk.com
2) Click on Device Configuration on the left side.
3) Click Delete Device in Device Information tab.
4) Once the device is deleted, click Add Device.
5) Follow prompts to add obi device and configure GV service.

I am hoping this resolves the issue permanently. I will post again if my service status changes.

rpress

A quick packet sniff shows that my Obi202 during TLS key exchange is replying "Unknown CA" to 142.250.81.205 (one of the IPs for accounts.google.com).

It looks like it's possible to install more CA certs into the Obi202 but not quite sure how to upload them.

calt

I just tested and things are now working fine again (Los Angeles Area).
Thanks for the fix!

SteveInWA

Update as of 6/13 at 4:40 PM PDT:

Google Voice engineering has identified the cause of the problem and they have implemented a temporary fix. Your devices should resume working later tonight, if not already.

Again: no changes you make to your device(s) will fix this problem.

A longer-term fix will require more work on Poly's side.

vincentnyc

got an email from obitalk at 7:45 pm est 6/13/21 saying "your voice sevice has reconnected.  you will be able to make and receive calls now.  No action is required."

I just test and able to make and receive call now.  since this is a temporary fix by google on the back end.  don't know how long will last?

SteveInWA

The fix will last for now, until it is superseded by a longer-term fix later.

kes601

Still receiving the token error here.  Is this going to take some time to roll out to all affected units?

SteveInWA

Quote from: kes601 on June 13, 2021, 05:19:20 PM
Still receiving the token error here.  Is this going to take some time to roll out to all affected units?

Yes.  Be patient.  If yours is still down tomorrow morning, power it off, wait 10 seconds, and power it on again.

garv

Hello, just wanted to check one thing.  My errors are varying over time.  The most frequent one in the portal is "Registration Not Required."  Is that basically all the same issue and hopefully the upcoming fix will help me?  Thanks.

Moonwalker

I'm up again. Got the email about a half hour ago but waited. Working so far. Hopeful... 😎

Moonwalker

Quote from: garv on June 13, 2021, 05:59:34 PM
Hello, just wanted to check one thing.  My errors are varying over time.  The most frequent one in the portal is "Registration Not Required."  Is that basically all the same issue and hopefully the upcoming fix will help me?  Thanks.

Yes.

GlennA

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 13, 2021, 05:04:43 PM

Google Voice engineering has identified the cause of the problem and they have implemented a temporary fix. Your devices should resume working later tonight, if not already.

thanks very much for your work on this

erkme73

I appreciate all you've done to try and temper frustrations Steve.  Nothing like broadcasting that there is no solution, only to have the very next thread offer "advice" on front-end fixes.

What I find intriguing is that of the two 202 boxes I have (both registered to the same two GV accounts - one in the house, one in the barn), only one of them has been exhibiting this issue.  The other has been working/reporting no issues solidly since all of this began.  

Is the "known" issue a systemic one that should affect ALL 202s devices or is this a hit/miss kinda thing?

SteveInWA

You will see "Registration not required", or you will see a bogus registration to 0.0.0.0, if you repeatedly attempt to re-register by re-booting the device.  This is an anti-DOS measure.  Don't keep re-trying.  Just have a nice evening and look again tomorrow.  You should find that the device will successfully register with no action needed on your part.

SteveInWA

Quote from: erkme73 on June 13, 2021, 06:10:14 PM
I appreciate all you've done to try and temper frustrations Steve.  Nothing like broadcasting that there is no solution, only to have the very next thread offer "advice" on front-end fixes.

What I find intriguing is that of the two 202 boxes I have (both registered to the same two GV accounts - one in the house, one in the barn), only one of them has been exhibiting this issue.  The other has been working/reporting no issues solidly since all of this began.  

Is the "known" issue a systemic one that should affect ALL 202s devices or is this a hit/miss kinda thing?

Google has many hundreds of servers, load balanced around the world, that support Google Voice.  Some of the servers were impacted by the problem, and others were not.  When you connect to a server, a load balancing algorithm picks the "best" server for you, based on several factors, including your location and distance to the servers (latency) and which servers are the least busy.

So, it is entirely possible that your devices were connected to different servers.

derrickearly

I can make calls out, but still cannot receive calls.  I have the dreaded "Registration Not Required" status.

TomForum

Many thanks @SteveInWA!!

Still no service, but I'll continue to check it.

I assume this temporary fix should work for the issue "Connecting to 0.0.0.0" as well?

Somewhat OT, but for those that are getting status emails saying service is back--can someone please point me to the instructions to set those up?  I've never once received an Obi status email nor see where to configure them.

thx

awriter

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 13, 2021, 05:04:43 PM

Steve, made no changes per your suggestion - but just checked and I'm connected! Thanks for all your help.

Obi200/new england   10:40 pm est