News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is it possible to use an Obi200 with a cell phone and no GV?

Started by Charlotte, June 07, 2021, 11:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

My GV number I'm giving up as it's been my work number for nearly 20 years and my position was eliminated this month.  As I'll no longer be with the company I no longer want the phones in my house to ring when anyone calls the GV/office number.

Instead now that I'm using my actual cell # for people (and for job searching).  Ideally I'd like it when anyone calls my cell, it and any of the phones connected to my Obi 200 will ring so I don't need to keep my cell on my person 24x7 while in the house.  Picking up a handset in the house and dialing out I would also like routed through my cell number.

I've spent a few hours this morning Googling and reading the Obitalk forums and I'm not finding a definite way to do this.

Anyone else tried this/had success?

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

The way to do this would be to convert your current cell phone number to a Google Voice number, by porting it into your existing Google Voice configuration.  Have you done anything yet to your existing Google Voice number?  If not, then you simply need to follow the instructions to port in your cell phone number:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin

After the port completes, your cell phone service on that number will be canceled, and instead, the number will now be a Google Voice number.  You would then sign up for a new cell phone number with whichever service provider you wish, and then link that number to your now-GV number.  This might be a good opportunity to reduce your mobile phone bill by using an inexpensive Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) or reseller.  There a lot of them out there, with various plans that include differing amounts of calling, texting and data per month.  One example, which I use, is Red Pocket Mobile.

Charlotte

Thanks Steve, I was figuring as much.  (and secretly hoping you would answer because truly you are the guru)

The phone number was my old landline work number that I paid the $20 to convert to a GV number back in the day and I had tied my old cell number to that old 1st gen Obi device.  When that device died I bought the Obi200. It's been great but now that I'm no longer with the company I don't want the number/phone ringing in the house so I've shut as much of that off in GV and ObiTalk as I can.

I joined Red Pocket a few years back (I prepay for a year at a time it's been so reliable where I am) so I'm familiar with that part.  I was just hoping that I could use the Obi device to physically make the inbound/outbound calls work on the phone base/satellite I have here without porting my cell number off of Red Pocket.  Sounds like that a no go.

I truly appreciate your time and thoroughness/thoughtfulness of your response.    :)
Charlotte, also in WA

azrobert

You only need an OBiBT (Bluetooth) adapter. Plug the adapter into your OBi200 and pair it to your cell. Unfortunately, these adapters are discontinued. There is an Australian seller on Ebay selling new OBiBT adapters or you can keep checking Ebay for a US seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254707018400?epid=2090093157&hash=item3b4db8aaa0:g:pEYAAOSweMJfT5-U

Another solution is to buy an OBi2182 IP Phone. These phones have built-in Bluetooth adapters. Pair the OBi2182 to your cell and route calls over your network to the OBi200. You can get help setting this up on the forum.

https://www.amazon.com/Obihai-OBi2000-Gigabit-Phones-OBi2182/dp/B076JKV5CL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=YC26PD02WUQ7&dchild=1&keywords=obi+phone&qid=1623098537&sprefix=obi+phone%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-3

Some people have had problems connecting an OBi device via Bluetooth, so I would buy the OBi2182 and if it doesn't work, return it.

Edit:

I just setup my OBi200 with an OBiBT adapter and it's super easy. Dial *28 from an OBi phone to make the OBi200 discoverable for 120 seconds. On your cell scan for new BT devices. Tap on the OBi to pair. On the OBi200 make BT1 the Primary Line for outbound. The default for inbound is to ring he attached phone. You might have to make some digit map changes depending on your cell service.

Charlotte

Thanks for that!  I'd looked yesterday at the BT options listed in a couple of places however didn't know about the ObiBT.  I'll look into this further.  Very much appreciate it.