News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiTalk website update hoses GV setup on multiple 2182 phones- CONCERNS?

Started by jccpa, June 13, 2021, 06:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jccpa

Heads up. The update a few days ago hosed all my connected 2182's on GV lines.

The Anveo line was fine.

Reconfiguring through the portal after the site was back up seemed corrective, but didn't last. It took a physical power cycle to clear out the garbage.

During the OBiTalk "planned maintenance outage" GV lines went up and down (line indicators go orange and fail)

I thought OBiTalk portal maintenance wasn't supposed to affect already configured phones?

I also believed GV calls went directly through GV services.

Since only GV lines and service were affected, it seems GV lines are somehow connected (through?) OBiTalk, not just configured through OBiTalk (?)

The BIG CONCERN is GV line disruptions are possible any time OBiTalk does site maintenance.

Can anyone confirm the reliance of GV services on OBiTalk network and possible mitigation?

FYI. OBiTalk site had the message about the outage from 6pm to 9pm PST

PS- Although the line status shows as normal, the service isn't available and "connecting to 0.0.0.0" pervades as I see many have in the stealth-named post "token error"

drgeoff

There is no Incontrovertible evidence yet that the current issue with GV has any connection with the recent maintenance work on Obihai servers.

Have you read http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=18329.msg108740#msg108740 ?

jccpa

Quote from: drgeoff on June 13, 2021, 07:54:25 AM
There is no Incontrovertible evidence yet that the current issue with GV has any connection with the recent maintenance work on Obihai servers.

Have you read http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=18329.msg108740#msg108740 ?

My observations were GV lines going orange on multiple 2182's.

I tried to log into OBiTalk to check configuration, saw maintenance notice.

I watched multiple lines go up and down during the maintenance window.

A few mins after the service window, the lines were normal again and I verified function of one of the lines and logged into OBiTalk to check configuration. I was able to remove and re-provision one of the GV numbers as a test.

A power cycle set all the lines to normal appearance, but I haven't used it much.

One of our other 2182's that I didn't power cycle was showing orange lines, so I logged into OBiTalk and directly to the phone, attempting to reset the lines.

On original phone after posting this thread and reading other recent threads (that's how I found 'token error' thread) and checked one GV line on the 2182 to verify function and got "The requested service is not available at the moment"

The OBiTalk maintenance and GV outage definitely coincided, functionality and misfunction interacted, so statistically speaking 99.99% certainty they are related.

What I don't know, because I am not OBi and didn't perform the maintenance, is whether the OBiTalk maintenance was causal or a reaction or attempted fix (ie migrating to new sip server?), or some other circumstances.

First question I would ask is, "Were you informed of Google's plan to take their sip.google.com domain/server offline or change its address?"

Knowing there are some real fools in the world, in my experience the majority of people really do attempt to avoid problems and take appropriate corrective and avoidance actions.

Perhaps OBi knew about the transition or change at Google ahead of time and *thought* they were ready for the cutover- which would explain the "planned maintenance" (but this would be easily handled by pointing GV service to an obitalk subdomain that points to the new GV SIP address and rolling out config updates, etc)

Or the OBiTalk outage wasn't really "planned" rather a spin for the consumers.

Or the Google outage is a reaction/result of external forces such as cyberattacks or provisioning

My money is on "related" the why, proactive or reactive, etc is the mystery.

Either way, thanks to all who are posting at least some info, especially that the powers that be are aware and working the problem ;)

TheFoxRocks

Hey guys,

I have two OBi1022 phones, I have had good luck with them using Google Voice over the past couple of years but in the past couple of days they were bricked. I have tried deleting directly from the OBi side and cannot get the never ending connecting thing. I also tried downloading the firmware but it confirmed that it is the latest firmware. I also tried deleting it from the Google Voice side and now I cannot get it to come back. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also could someone tell me what Anveo is? I noticed it as a choice through the OBi platform? I am going to check it out now but saw jccpa mention it. Wonder if you would tell me about it? Looks like I might need to seek out an alternative to Google Voice.

jccpa

Quote from: TheFoxRocks on June 13, 2021, 10:32:32 AM
Hey guys,

I have two OBi1022 phones, I have had good luck with them using Google Voice over the past couple of years but in the past couple of days they were bricked. I have tried deleting directly from the OBi side and cannot get the never ending connecting thing. I also tried downloading the firmware but it confirmed that it is the latest firmware. I also tried deleting it from the Google Voice side and now I cannot get it to come back. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also could someone tell me what Anveo is? I noticed it as a choice through the OBi platform? I am going to check it out now but saw jccpa mention it. Wonder if you would tell me about it? Looks like I might need to seek out an alternative to Google Voice.

I'm guessing your GV problem is now solved? There was a major outage with OBi devices for several days.

Anveo.com is a VoIP phone service provider.

SteveInWA

Quote from: jccpa on June 13, 2021, 08:50:41 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on June 13, 2021, 07:54:25 AM

My observations were GV lines going orange on multiple 2182's.

I tried to log into OBiTalk to check configuration, saw maintenance notice.

I watched multiple lines go up and down during the maintenance window.

A few mins after the service window, the lines were normal again and I verified function of one of the lines and logged into OBiTalk to check configuration. I was able to remove and re-provision one of the GV numbers as a test.

A power cycle set all the lines to normal appearance, but I haven't used it much.

One of our other 2182's that I didn't power cycle was showing orange lines, so I logged into OBiTalk and directly to the phone, attempting to reset the lines.

On original phone after posting this thread and reading other recent threads (that's how I found 'token error' thread) and checked one GV line on the 2182 to verify function and got "The requested service is not available at the moment"

The OBiTalk maintenance and GV outage definitely coincided, functionality and misfunction interacted, so statistically speaking 99.99% certainty they are related.

What I don't know, because I am not OBi and didn't perform the maintenance, is whether the OBiTalk maintenance was causal or a reaction or attempted fix (ie migrating to new sip server?), or some other circumstances.

First question I would ask is, "Were you informed of Google's plan to take their sip.google.com domain/server offline or change its address?"

Knowing there are some real fools in the world, in my experience the majority of people really do attempt to avoid problems and take appropriate corrective and avoidance actions.

Perhaps OBi knew about the transition or change at Google ahead of time and *thought* they were ready for the cutover- which would explain the "planned maintenance" (but this would be easily handled by pointing GV service to an obitalk subdomain that points to the new GV SIP address and rolling out config updates, etc)

Or the OBiTalk outage wasn't really "planned" rather a spin for the consumers.

Or the Google outage is a reaction/result of external forces such as cyberattacks or provisioning

My money is on "related" the why, proactive or reactive, etc is the mystery.

Either way, thanks to all who are posting at least some info, especially that the powers that be are aware and working the problem ;)

I'm surprised Geoff didn't point out that most of your assumptions are poppycock, rubbish, bollocks, etc.

Rather than re-hash what I already reported, which was exclusively a Google Voice issue, the facts are:

The OBiTALK portal and its back-end systems have absolutely no interaction whatsoever with Google Voice after the one-time authorization procedure performed during Google Voice setup on the portal.  It is impossible for OBiTALK to cause a working Google Voice setup (or any other ITSP, for that matter), to go offline or otherwise cause a loss of registration on the phones.  The only impact of a planned or unplanned OBiTALK outage to an otherwise working phone would be to take down the OBiTALK VoIP calling function, which will illuminate the amber LED only on a key that you may assign to OBiTALK.

OBiTALK does not host or otherwise run any part of Google Voice, and no, it has no systems that would need to be updated or changed for Google Voice operation.  The only Google Voice-related role played by OBiTALK is the one-time provisioning your device, with your explicit approval, to connect to the Google Voice service on your Google account.  All subsequent authentication (token renewal) is performed directly between your device and Google Voice.

There was no relation to whatever OBiTALK maintenance was or is performed, to the Google Voice outage, and no, there is no intent on anyone's part to "spin" anything.

The only thing you need to know now, is that Google Voice will be replacing the root certificates on its servers, and unless Poly provides firmware updates, Google Voice will stop working on all OBiTALK devices.  This will have no impact whatsoever to any other ITSPs configured on OBiTALK devices.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 05, 2021, 02:45:36 AM
The only thing you need to know now, is that Google Voice will be replacing the root certificates on its servers, and unless Poly provides firmware updates, Google Voice will stop working on all OBiTALK devices.  This will have no impact whatsoever to any other ITSPs configured on OBiTALK devices.

Thanks, SteveInWA, for the information on the upcoming replacement of GV's root certificates. Please keep us up to date about the updates (for both GV and Poly) in case it doesn't do so automatically or there are hiccups during the transition process.

MSRobi

You can be certain that at the first whiff of any Poly firmware news, this forum will be all over it.

lrosenman

See the banner on obitalk.com.  New firmware is out and will be auto-updated on 8/5/2021 @ 17:00 PDT.  You can also do the update now by following the link in the banner.  I updated my Obi202, and all is well.

jholme004

Can you still access the 202 locally?  I receive an error message and the browser  tab says "OBi1000". Everything else seems to be functional, but I like not having to go through ObiTalk.

(Side question @lrosenman - Having difficulty with connecting my TGP600..can you offer some guidance?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14157.msg109475#msg109475)

-Jason

drgeoff

Quote from: jholme004 on August 03, 2021, 03:58:05 PM
Can you still access the 202 locally?
Known issue with the 202.  The firmware update appears to return that setting to its default, ie access from INTERNET port disabled).  See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=18407.msg109442#msg109442 and subsequent posts there by Taoman and myself.