News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there a way to not list my number/name in Obihai's directory?

Started by highvoltage, July 01, 2021, 02:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highvoltage

I recently saw a review of an Obihai device in which a "directory" of Obihai users was mentioned (see 1:23): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka7PvQKUbzo

I have a few questions about this:
1. Is it possible to not have my number be listed in whatever "directory" the reviewer mentioned?
2. If not, is it at least possible to not have my name be associated with that number?
3. I was not asked for my name when I registered for the site obitalk.com. What information is required when I add Google Voice to an Obihai device? I'm guessing Obihai will need me to log into my Google account. But do they ask for other information?

Thanks

drgeoff

You have misunderstood because that sentence in the Youtube review was very badly worded.  There is no "Obihai directory".  There is no published way for someone else to find your 9 digit OBi number from your real name or nickname or email address or Facebook handle or etc.  Yes one can dial a semi-random 9 digit OBi number and ring another OBi device but that is no different from dialing a semi-random POTS number from a landline phone or cellphone.  And if you are really worried about receiving calls from OBi users who have nothing better to do, you can configure your OBi to reject all calls coming in over the OBi network except ones from OBis that you have whitelisted.

There is the facility to have one's own private directory and link speed dials to specific entries.  No different really from a cellphone or non-basic POTS phone.

What the speaker was possibly attempting to convey is that in addition to, or instead of, using GV or other Internet Service Telephony Providers, Obihai devices can call other OBihai devices at no charge over the Obitalk network.  Provided you know the 9 digit OBi number for the callee.