News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disable google voicemail

Started by Luciana, November 07, 2011, 06:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luciana

How in the world can the obi be changed to disable google voice mail for answering calls? or is there a way to not allow it to pick up a call so fast!! ?  I just want my answering machine to pick up at home.

Dav3yDark0

Google Voice sends the call to voicemail after 25 seconds, and there is no way to change that. It is a function of Google Voice and not the OBi devices.

Dave

Luciana

seems to me that obi would add some feature to their device to allow it to trick google voice...than allow to go to your own home answer machine. i will be returning my obi garbage since what good is it if you got to answer within 25 seconds (actually less due to the incoming ring delay!!!)

Ostracus

Quote from: Luciana on November 11, 2011, 05:24:01 PM
seems to me that obi would add some feature to their device to allow it to trick google voice...than allow to go to your own home answer machine. i will be returning my obi garbage since what good is it if you got to answer within 25 seconds (actually less due to the incoming ring delay!!!)

Okay, and since it can't be changed on the Obi end, and you're returning the device. Now what? No one else has the "trick Googlevoice" function either.

pc44

The ability to change the 25 second voicemail in Google is a feature I wish I had too.  It would certainly benefit me to be able to modify the time or rings before voicemail kicks in.  If you like, you could suggest this feature at Google's Voice support page.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/static.py?page=suggestions.cs

There's a lot of potential with Google Voice, if only they would continue to expand their feature set.

pc44

Everton

I have a Asterisk Server using PBX In A Flash and the Google Voice Integration was able to get around the 25 seconds limit.  I can totally disable GV Voicemail and have indefinite ring time.  I'm not sure how asterisk 1.8+ was able to do it, but it would be nice if the OBi Integration could accomplish the same thing.

Having said that, it is ridiculous to imply that the OBi device is garbage.  I and many others are ecstatic that there is a device, such as the OBi1XX, is able to seamlessly integrate GV at such a low price point.  Individuals like yourself should move on and find other solutions, since the device doesn't meet your expectations.  Labeling the most feature rich ATA on the market as garbage obviously shows the buffoonery of your assertions.  Move on please.....

Dav3yDark0

Luciana,

You could simply use a ITSP that does not have a fixed 25 seconds before going to voicemail. Google Voice is not the only provider that works with the OBi devices. Calling the OBi "garbage" because of how GV limits their particular VoIP service is ridiculous. Just use another service provider and you won't have that issue.

Dave

Stewart

Quote from: Everton on November 12, 2011, 07:42:39 AMI have an Asterisk Server using PBX In A Flash and the Google Voice Integration was able to get around the 25 seconds limit.  I can totally disable GV Voicemail and have indefinite ring time.  I'm not sure how asterisk 1.8+ was able to do it, but it would be nice if the OBi Integration could accomplish the same thing.
I am guessing that Asterisk is giving answering supervision while playing a local ringback tone.  Please confirm this by calling in from your cell phone, noting whether it shows connected and starts counting time, while you are still hearing ringback tone.

You could duplicate such behavior on the OBi, either with a fake IVR (if you didn't need AA for anything else), or with an intermediate forwarder such as VoxOx that gives FAS.

Luciana

Quote from: Everton on November 12, 2011, 07:42:39 AM

I have a Asterisk Server using PBX In A Flash and the Google Voice Integration was able to get around the 25 seconds limit.  I can totally disable GV Voicemail and have indefinite ring time.  I'm not sure how asterisk 1.8+ was able to do it, but it would be nice if the OBi Integration could accomplish the same thing.

Having said that, it is ridiculous to imply that the OBi device is garbage.  I and many others are ecstatic that there is a device, such as the OBi1XX, is able to seamlessly integrate GV at such a low price point.  Individuals like yourself should move on and find other solutions, since the device doesn't meet your expectations.  Labeling the most feature rich ATA on the market as garbage obviously shows the buffoonery of your assertions.  Move on please.....

Move on?   If you could read instead of using a dictonary....you would have seen I took it back!!! so what does move on mean....also I still think it is junk & some day will be shut down 100%

jimates

Too many people associate the Obi only with Google Voice. therefor the Obi tends to get blamed for any Google Voice short comings.

While the Obi can be used with many many voip providers; it just happens that the Obi is the only device that can be used with Google Voice.

Google Voice is free. You get what you pay for, for many that is little; for others it is much.

Steve28321

Quote from: jimates on May 03, 2012, 07:07:36 PM
it just happens that the Obi is the only device that can be used with Google Voice.

Not true. For a few months a company that specializes in 3rd party products for MagicJack has offered, for a one-time cost of $20, a product that uses the MJ device, expired or currently active, with GoogleVoice. Works great.

http://www.pcphonesoft.com/

QBZappy

Interesting features. Does it really work? I never heard of this product. CID look up, talking CID, etc.... Downside is that a computer is required. The OBi still has a big advantage here. However it has its uses for people already running a computer at work or home. I suppose the OBi 110 could be connected to one of these devices. It could fulfill the need for CID lookup. Too bad OBihai doesn't seem to add features to the OBIAPP. The OBiAPP seems to be forgotten in it's development cycle. OBihai is obviously focused on the hardware side of the business. If this product is not vaporware it will set the bar higher for GV users. Collectively, as OBi users, should we be expecting some of these cool features in the OBi product or is it too much to ask from a hardware vendor?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Steve28321

Yea. Works great. I'm currently using it with an active MJ device, but will let that expire.

You are right it is more limited than the Obi, since you can only use it with GV. And it does require the computer to be on, like the MJ. But I'm on my computer all day, and with the GV forwarding, I have my cell as a second ringing number when I log off the PC. It is a good low-cost use of all the MJ's sitting unused in drawers. As long as GoogleVoice holds up.

The company itself has been offering added MJ features for a few years, so I think it being vaporware is a non-issue.

QBZappy

From the little that I know about the MJ, is the hardware basically a USB sound card with a Phone jack?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Steve28321

I really don't know. It's a piece of crap. I've been lucky and had good success with it for 2 years. Having a usb port on top of the PC has helped with it staying in one piece. It was my first entry in voip, but have been looking at Obi. Will probably hold off for a while now.

pc44

Since MJ now offers the MagicJack PLUS, which works standalone with an internet connection (you don't have to have your computer on), perhaps these guys will soon follow suit.  Who knows  ???

QBZappy

pc44,

I went to their web site. It's a PC app. I thinks it only uses the dongle as a hardware sound card. It will always need a computer to run the software.

Steve28321

Quote from: QBZappy on May 08, 2012, 05:56:26 PMI went to their web site. It's a PC app. I thinks it only uses the dongle as a hardware sound card. It will always need a computer to run the software.

You're correct. I use it with the regular MJ. It will work with the Plus, but you will still need the PC on.

pc44

Thanks QBZappy and Steve28321 for that info :)  While I keep a PC on all the time, I would hate to have to rely on that computer for telephone service.  Then again, many people use an asterisk server  :-\

prospero

There are multiple devices out there at similar-to-higher price points.

They're not necessarily going to work with Google Voice, but that is not always a bad thing. In many ways, the only good thing about GV is the price, and its sins are so greivous that this doesn't cover much.

The sad thing is that Google has a long, unimpressive history of ignoring its dissatisfied customers, of just not addressing complaints, or of saying publicly that it will fix something, then privately announcing the fix has been put off until next year, or next decade, or whenever. I've been caught by both of these several times and know not to ever trust Google.

You will have to pay a bit, typically about US$5 a month or so, but you can thereby fix the caller-id issue, the Voicemail issue, and probably get emergency call service thrown in free.  That's looking more and more like it's worth the price, to get rid of the silly hassles at GV. Since Google is quite likely to start charging for the service in 2013, you'd only be losing a few months of free service anyway.  If I decide to hang on to it, the moment they charge me anything I'm out of there.