News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Not being able to listen to my voice during certain calls

Started by xboxhaxorz, November 07, 2011, 12:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xboxhaxorz

On occasion when making or receiving calls the other person cannot listen to me. I can listed to them fine though, i would say it happens about 5% of the time.

I have a 50+ mb connection and no downloading is going on. Obi is hard wired.

Stewart

When you have trouble, is your outbound audio completely silent, or is it choppy, distorted, noisy, etc?

What have you done to troubleshoot the problem?  For example, if you are using the OBi with Google Voice, have you confirmed that you don't have the issue when calling from Gmail?  Do you have the problem with a different provider?  Does immediately calling back usually result in an ok call?

What kind of modem do you have?  Separate router, if any?  Contracted upstream speed?  Upstream speed measured by speed test?

neilio

Quote from: xboxhaxorz on November 07, 2011, 12:00:01 PM
On occasion when making or receiving calls the other person cannot listen to me. I can listed to them fine though, i would say it happens about 5% of the time.

I have a 50+ mb connection and no downloading is going on. Obi is hard wired.
There's a fairly lengthy thread on this issue here

Stewart

Quote from: neilio on November 07, 2011, 01:25:47 PMThere's a fairly lengthy thread on this issue here
Are there any meaningful conclusions in those 70 posts?  I see mostly complaints and speculation.

1. Does the latest firmware fix or at least mitigate the problem?
2. Is it known under what conditions the trouble occurs, e.g. specific providers, codecs, network configurations, etc.?
3. Are there any known workarounds, other than those implied by (2)?
4. Is it known what goes wrong, e.g. some RTP packets fail to be sent?
5. Is there a known way to (reasonably reliably) cause the trouble, so it can be tracked down and fixed?