News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 stopped working suddenly

Started by PatriotBoy, April 03, 2016, 06:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatriotBoy

I was using ObiTalk for 3 weeks and it suddenly stopped working couple of weeks ago. I made sometime to fix it this weekend.

Initially it would give me a dial tone but when I try to call a number, it would read out some connection not available kind of message. So I decided to hard reboot. I deleted device in my ObiTalk account. Now, the machine keeps restarting irrespective of depress the reset button. I don't hear a dial tone on the connected phone even when the lights are stable.

I'm going mad and frustrated on this. Any suggestions on what to debug ?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Let me make sure I understand the present condition of your OBi.  Connect the device to power.  Let it sit there for a minute.  Now, which lights are on, and which are flashing, vs. continuously on?

SteveInWA

Adding to my previous post:

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the OBi.  Disconnect the power cable from the OBi.  Wait a few seconds, then, with only the telephone cord, not the Ethernet cable plugged in, plug in the power cable.  The left-most LED should be solid red for a few seconds, then change to solid green for a few more seconds, then it should start blinking green.  The right LED (for the VoIP service) should come on, and then go off after a few seconds.  The left-most LED should be slowly blinking, and the other LEDs should be off.  This is because there is no network cable connected, so the OBi can't get an IP address.

Now, pick up the phone handset.  The right-most LED should start slowly blinking, and you should hear a dial tone.  Does that exact sequence happen, and can you hear a dial tone?

If you can't get this far, then either your OBi or its power supply are bad.  If you have another 12VDC @ 1A power supply available, try swapping it.  If the device still fails, it's defective.

If the test above DID work, then key in ***8 then at the prompt, key in 1, to restore factory defaults.  Give the device time to do this, for a good minute or so.  Pick up the phone again.  Do you hear a dial tone?  If so, power off the OBi, reattach the Ethernet cable, and power it on again.  After rebooting, the left-most LED should be on solid, the middle LED should be flickering, and the right-most LED should be on solid, and you should have a dial tone.  Are you now at that point?

PatriotBoy

The left-most LED should be solid red for a few seconds, then change to solid green for a few more seconds, then it should start blinking green.  The right LED (for the VoIP service) should come on, and then go off after a few seconds.  The left-most LED should be slowly blinking, and the other LEDs should be off.

This part is happening. After this, power LED turn red and the process repeats.

The rightmost LED is never going on.

Following is the current sequence

Power stead Red - > power flashing green -> power green steady > internet led green flashing -> power green slow flashing -> power green fast flashing -> power steady red -> repeat

SteveInWA

You have a hardware problem.  Do you have a spare power supply you can try swapping with the power supply that came with the OBi?  If so, try that.  If not, is the device less than a year old?  If so, open a support ticket with Obihai.  If not, time to buy a new OBi.

PatriotBoy

Thanks Steven for taking time. I don't have an extra charger. It died in 3 months. I opened a support ticket and sending it to factory.

Annoying part is I've to pay for shipping a lemon.

SteveInWA

Well, "ah feel yo' pain", but hey, it's under warranty, so the warranty successfully protected you from the premature failure.  When you get the new one, be sure to plug it into a good quality surge protector or UPS, and plug your other network gear into the surge protector or UPS, too.

PeterY

@SteveInWA Thank you for your advice on the issue. I have a similar problem (see below). I tested your procedure. When the phone line was flashing, I picked up the phone, but there was still no dial phone. After the phone line fished its flashing and turned off, the power line started and continued flashing green. What could be wrong? Any insight?

1. Router has all green LEDs (no problem);
2. Green power LED on Obi200 (no problem);
3. Obi200 shows active in the Router network (no problem);
4. However, it shows as "Unmanaged Device" on Obi Dashboard:
"This device is currently unmanaged by OBiTALK. Either your device was factory reset, or the provsioning was disabled from the local web page. The device will need to be added to OBiTALK again. This requires physical access to the device. Click 'Continue' below to start the process of re-adding the OBi."
5. Green flashing Internet LED on Obi200 (problem? but there is no change although I have changed several Ethernet cables);
6. Phone line on Obi200 is off, no line on phone (can't dial and connect with Obi200 although I tested several different phones).
Can anyone help figure out what the problem is?
Thank you.

drgeoff

Quote from: PeterY on September 25, 2022, 06:03:11 AM@SteveInWA Thank you for your advice on the issue. I have a similar problem (see below). I tested your procedure. When the phone line was flashing, I picked up the phone, but there was still no dial phone. After the phone line fished its flashing and turned off, the power line started and continued flashing green. What could be wrong? Any insight?

1. Router has all green LEDs (no problem);
2. Green power LED on Obi200 (no problem);
3. Obi200 shows active in the Router network (no problem);
4. However, it shows as "Unmanaged Device" on Obi Dashboard:
"This device is currently unmanaged by OBiTALK. Either your device was factory reset, or the provsioning was disabled from the local web page. The device will need to be added to OBiTALK again. This requires physical access to the device. Click 'Continue' below to start the process of re-adding the OBi."
5. Green flashing Internet LED on Obi200 (problem? but there is no change although I have changed several Ethernet cables);
6. Phone line on Obi200 is off, no line on phone (can't dial and connect with Obi200 although I tested several different phones).
Can anyone help figure out what the problem is?
Thank you.
@PeterY

Please do NOT post the same problem in more than one thread.

Potential helpers are politely requested not to respond in this thread.

chulent

I updated the firmware and rebooted the Obi200 and STILL not working. Any tips?