News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 keeps losing SIP registration with Anveo

Started by Shplad, October 16, 2021, 11:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shplad

After I finally got Anveo working with my OBi202, I keep losing
registration. I can't find any pattern to it.

This is after using Obitalk's own automated config routine for
Anveo.

I'm running a script on my router to check for packet loss, but I'm
not very Linux savvy at all and have zero understanding of scripts, so I
don't know how much/often it's sampling or what it will tell me.

I've recreated the Obitalk profile and contacted Anveo several times.
It isn't helping. Anveo keeps blaming Obihai. Any suggestions?

Can anyone suggest anything

Taoman

You had problems with Voip.ms and now you're having problems with Anveo. Since you're an "ex-IT tech" have you considered looking at your own network/router config to see if that's where the problem is? Like temporarily putting your OBi in your router's DMZ to see if you still lose registration, for instance.

I would suggest downloading a free softphone and configure it for Anveo and let the softphone sit for awhile registered to Anveo and see if you lose registration or not.

What is the error message you see on the OBi status page when you lose registration to Anveo? It has to be saying something like "retrying" or a SIP error code or something.

Since you have a paid Anveo account you can use TCP as your transport protocol. Sometimes using TCP can make things more stable since it is a connection-oriented protocol. Change it here:
Service Providers-->ITSP Profile X-->SIP-->ProxyServerTransport

Shplad

Quote from: Taoman on October 17, 2021, 07:04:14 PM
You had problems with Voip.ms and now you're having problems with Anveo. Since you're an "ex-IT tech" have you considered looking at your own network/router config to see if that's where the problem is? Like temporarily putting your OBi in your router's DMZ to see if you still lose registration, for instance.

I would suggest downloading a free softphone and configure it for Anveo and let the softphone sit for awhile registered to Anveo and see if you lose registration or not.

What is the error message you see on the OBi status page when you lose registration to Anveo? It has to be saying something like "retrying" or a SIP error code or something.

Since you have a paid Anveo account you can use TCP as your transport protocol. Sometimes using TCP can make things more stable since it is a connection-oriented protocol. Change it here:
Service Providers-->ITSP Profile X-->SIP-->ProxyServerTransport

I had call quality problems with Voip.ms, not connectivity/registration issues. The latter only happened recently because Voip.ms has been undergoing a DDoS attack. Those SIP registration issues with Voip.ms are now pretty much back to normal.

On the same network, I'm also using Anveo through my Bria Softlclient, and I don't seem to be having the same registration problems with that. That's why I'm leaning towards the OBi/OBi config. maybe being the problem.

I hadn't thought about putting it in the DMZ, but a while back, I had it hanging directly off the gateway and it still showed the same problems. I may try it, but it will be soem work and I'm down with a flu/virus right now.

Yes, I've looked at my network. The only thing that stands out is a few lost packets, but no one seems to be able to tell me what amount of lost packets might cause (or even if it will cause) this type of problem.

I have a script running on my router I grabbed to check for and log lost packets, but I'm not seeing a lot of them and I don't understand Bash scripts, so I don't know how often this script is "sampling" or checking or whatever the right term might be for that.

I supposed I could try using TCP. Wouldn't it be unusual though to have to use TCP just to maintain SIP registration?

Taoman

Quote from: Shplad on October 18, 2021, 02:10:52 PM
Wouldn't it be unusual though to have to use TCP just to maintain SIP registration?

Yes.

Don't know what to tell ya. I've configured Anveo on multiple OBi devices without issue.
You can try enabling X_KeepAliveEnable under Voice Services.

You still haven't provided the error message seen on the status page when you lose registration.

So you have Voip.ms working on your OBi now?

Shplad

The error message in Obitalk Dashboard is: Register Failed: No Response From Server

I tried putting the OBi in my router's DMZ. It didn't help.

Yes, Voip.ms is working on my OBI again minus intermittent
call quality issues, but no SIP registration problems.

I checked the Voice Services section and the X_KeepAlive setting
for Anveo was already enabled.
Should I try changing the value in the one of the following fields?
Would that help?

I got another DSL gateway, so I'll try that too, but during off-hours.

Taoman

Quote from: Shplad on October 20, 2021, 10:59:14 AM
The error message in Obitalk Dashboard is: Register Failed: No Response From Server
I meant for you to post what the OBi status page says, not what the OBiTALK dashboard says. In any case, I would try a continuous ping to 72.9.149.69 for an extended period of time and see if you get any lost packets.

Quote from: ShpladI checked the Voice Services section and the X_KeepAlive setting
for Anveo was already enabled.
I find that surprising. When using the OBiTALK Anveo wizard to configure your Anveo trunk the X_KeepAliveEnable setting does not get enabled. You had problems configuring Anveo on your OBi. Now that you know your SIP credentials, I would suggest deleting your Anveo config and running the Anveo wizard again. Or run the Anveo wizard again on an open SP slot and disable your current Anveo config.

Shplad

Thanks, I don't want to delete the profile
and create it again just yet. I've already done this
7 or 8 times. It didn't help. I'll consider that again
after I finish the other things I want to try.

I tried testing the OBi in the DMZ of my usual
router. It didn't help.

I'm now testing with a used SmartRG sr516ac I
received yesterday. So far, call sound quality is good,
and no SIP registration issues, but it's too early
to tell. Just to add insult to injury, I believe the
modem appears to be defective. I've had it 24 hours.

Ugh.

It was mentioned that since my OBi is behind NAT,
I should set the X_KeepAliveExpires time setting
to less than my router's NAT timeout period for the
transport protocol I"m using.

I called my ISP and they weren't helpful with this.
Does anyone know the NAT timeout period on a
SmartRG sr516ac or whom I can ask to find out?

Shplad

Okay, testing in the DMZ of my router definitely didn't help.

I would like to continue other tests. How do I disable (but not delete)
an existing profile slot? Do you mean the Enable/Disable under
Voice Services--SP2 Service?

I found the Status menu

SP1 Service Status
Parameter Name   Value   OBiTALK
Settings   
Status   Registered (server=WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZ:5060; expire in 52s)      help
PrimaryProxyServer         
SecondaryProxyServer         
CallState   0 Active Calls      help

SP2 Service Status
Settings   
Status   Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=WWW.XXX.YY.ZZ:5010; retry in 18s)      help
PrimaryProxyServer         
SecondaryProxyServer         

Taoman

Quote from: Shplad on October 24, 2021, 10:06:30 AM
Then that plus the fact Voip.ms is working for you would indicate to me the problem is not with your router or ISP.

Quote from: ShpladDo you mean the Enable/Disable under
Yes.

Quote from: ShpladSP2 Service Status
Settings   
Status   Register Failed: No Response From Server (server=WWW.XXX.YY.ZZ:5010; retry in 18s)      help
PrimaryProxyServer         
SecondaryProxyServer         
Not sure why you would hide the ip addresses. It's not like it's a secret.

So when you see "No Response From Server" are you able to ping that ip address from your computer? I assume you are using the Dallas POP server? If so, I would guess there is a problem with the Anveo config on your OBi. That's why I suggested disabling your current Anveo config and make a new one on an open SP slot using the OBiTALK Anveo wizard if you don't want to delete your current Anveo config.

Note: it has been my experience in the past that sometimes when you delete an SP trunk config on your OBi it doesn't reset every single setting back to the default setting. This is why I always check thru every screen to make sure everything is back to default settings. Or I do a factory reset of the OBi and start from scratch.

Shplad

Quote from: Taoman on October 25, 2021, 05:21:30 AM
Quote from: Shplad on October 24, 2021, 10:06:30 AM
Then that plus the fact Voip.ms is working for you would indicate to me the problem is not with your router or ISP.

Quote from: ShpladDo you mean the Enable/Disable under
Yes.

Quote from: ShpladSP2 Service Status
Settings   
PrimaryProxyServer         
SecondaryProxyServer         
Not sure why you would hide the ip addresses. It's not like it's a secret.

So when you see "No Response From Server" are you able to ping that ip address from your computer? I assume you are using the Dallas POP server? If so, I would guess there is a problem with the Anveo config on your OBi. That's why I suggested disabling your current Anveo config and make a new one on an open SP slot using the OBiTALK Anveo wizard if you don't want to delete your current Anveo config.

Note: it has been my experience in the past that sometimes when you delete an SP trunk config on your OBi it doesn't reset every single setting back to the default setting. This is why I always check thru every screen to make sure everything is back to default settings. Or I do a factory reset of the OBi and start from scratch.

- Yeah, except it was consistently working for 3 days with my other router.
- Yes, I can always ping the host. I've been using (trying to use) sip.ca.anveo.com
- Right, but I've done that 7 times. I'm recreating it again on SP3, but I doubt it will make any difference.
I've recreated it using the automatic function in Obitalk, but it keeps choosing the wrong account. How do I tell it which account to use. Better yet, how does it know which account to use, or do I have to change the SIP credentials manually every time I recreate the profile?

Did you read my earlier posts in which I said I've recreated profiles 6 or 7 times before this.

Saying something "should" work is not the same as knowing it will.

SteveInWA

At this point, I'd say you are wasting your time.  Delete the OBiTALK device off of your device dashboard (https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev) and wait a few minutes for the device to be remotely de-registered.

Unplug the device and remove all the cables.   Turn it upside-down on a flat surface.  Locate the recessed reset button (the small round bump with a hole in it).  Use a paper clip to gently press down on the switch until you feel a soft click.  Keep holding it down while you plug in just the power cord.  Wait at least ten seconds, then release the paper clip.

Turn the box over and watch it reset and reboot.  When it is fully rebooted, unplug it again, plug in the phone and the Ethernet cord, then plug in the power cord and wait for it to reboot.

Add the device back to the OBiTALK portal using the **5 xxxx procedure.  Use the "OBiTALK compatible service providers" list to click on Anveo to configure it.  See if that works.

Shplad

I already tried resetting to defaults a long time ago.
It didn't work.

Taoman

Quote from: Shplad on October 25, 2021, 02:10:51 PM

I've recreated it using the automatic function in Obitalk, but it keeps choosing the wrong account. How do I tell it which account to use. Better yet, how does it know which account to use, or do I have to change the SIP credentials manually every time I recreate the profile?

"It" keeps choosing the wrong account? It can only register using whatever SIP credentials you enter. You have two subaccounts with different usernames/passwords for each. Obviously you enter the SIP credentials for the subaccount you wish to register/connect with. You could have 2 Anveo SIP trunks configured on your OBi if you wished registering to each subaccount.

Shplad

1. Use Obitalk's automatic configurator and trust it works properly.
It does for us.

2. Change the user credentials in it, of course.

Do you see how this could come across as contradictory?

Taoman

Quote from: Shplad on October 25, 2021, 07:00:41 PM

Do you see how this could come across as contradictory?

No, I don't. To save and submit your Anveo configuration you must enter your SIP credentials. Are we even looking at the same screen? See attachment.

You're not "changing the user credentials in it." You're entering your user credentials or you couldn't save or use your Anveo configuration in the first place. Look at the attachment. Is that the screen you are seeing?

What part of this don't you understand?

Shplad

I ended up putting Anveo in slot 3.  I swapped the softclient to be the subaccount now,
instead of the other way around.

For the OBi, it seems to be working (for now.)
For the softclient, it appears to be registering SIP, but I can't make calls. I just get a
busy signal every time. Any idea why that happens?

One strange thing that happened is that after I put Anveo into slot 3 and configured
my Softclient to use the subaccount, The Obitalk dashboard showed my unit as
offline for about half an hour, with an error message saying this would've occurred
because I'd factory reset my OBi or wiped the setttings. I had done neither.

Is SIP registration data included in an OBi syslog? Maybe I'll keep any eye on
the OBi that way from time to time.

Shplad

EDIT: SIP Registration is mostly stable. It occasionally loses registration, but I'll take whatever win I can get.

Thanks.

AAAAND....I've lost registration again. I don't get it. It's almost as if I have to use the phone constantly to keep the Obi registered. I'm out of ideas.