News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 dead? Shows Off-Hook, phones say line In Use.

Started by GnatGoSplat, May 03, 2022, 06:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnatGoSplat

There was a storm last night and the power blinked for just a split second.  Afterwards, my phones show "In Use".  The Phone Port Status says "Off Hook".  If I disconnect the phone line from the Obi200, the phones go back to normal, but the Obi still thinks it's "Off Hook".  I tried rebooting it twice and unplugging its AC adapter also.  While it's booting, the phones no longer think they're in use, but once the Obi200 boots up, they go back to thinking they are.

Is my Obi200 fried?  Does any of this mean anything?

Port Statushelp
Parameter Name    PHONE1 Port
State    Off Hook
LoopCurrent    19 mA
VBAT    14 V (11.7 V)
TipRingVoltage    4 V
LastCallerInfo    --

EDIT: Tried a different 12V 1A AC Adapter.  That raised the VBAT in parenthesis to 11.9V, but the one not stayed 14V.

drgeoff

Quote from: GnatGoSplat on May 03, 2022, 06:04:13 AMThere was a storm last night and the power blinked for just a split second.  Afterwards, my phones show "In Use".  The Phone Port Status says "Off Hook".  If I disconnect the phone line from the Obi200, the phones go back to normal, but the Obi still thinks it's "Off Hook".  I tried rebooting it twice and unplugging its AC adapter also.  While it's booting, the phones no longer think they're in use, but once the Obi200 boots up, they go back to thinking they are.

Is my Obi200 fried?  Does any of this mean anything?

Port Statushelp
Parameter Name    PHONE1 Port
State    Off Hook
LoopCurrent    19 mA
VBAT    14 V (11.7 V)
TipRingVoltage    4 V
LastCallerInfo    --

EDIT: Tried a different 12V 1A AC Adapter.  That raised the VBAT in parenthesis to 11.9V, but the one not stayed 14V.

Are those numbers the Status when there is nothing plugged into the OBi's PHONE jack?  No phone, no cordless base station, no extension wiring, no adaptors. Nothing.

If "yes" then your OBi is damaged. Was the OBi's PHONE jack connected to house wiring to reach any of the phones?

If "no", what numbers when that jack is empty? (You need to refresh the page each time you plug in or out.  It doesn't update automatically.)

GnatGoSplat

Quote from: drgeoff on May 03, 2022, 07:55:11 AMAre those numbers the Status when there is nothing plugged into the OBi's PHONE jack?  No phone, no cordless base station, no extension wiring, no adaptors. Nothing.

If "yes" then your OBi is damaged. Was the OBi's PHONE jack connected to house wiring to reach any of the phones?

If "no", what numbers when that jack is empty? (You need to refresh the page each time you plug in or out.  It doesn't update automatically.)

Nothing plugged in at all.  Just ethernet and AC adapter.  Phone LED also blinking with nothing plugged into the phone jack.
Plugging anything in doesn't affect the numbers.
I did refresh every time.

I read VBAT no-parens number is supposed to be around 45V.  :(

Sounds like my Obi200 is toast.

Do these have any known components that go bad?  Not a whole lot of discrete components in them.  I'd guess the problem might be in the Si32260-FM1 chip since datasheet shows the DC-DC converter is in there.  Just guessing that's what boosts the 12V input to the higher voltage output.  Although it does seem to be boosting to 14V so the boost converter isn't completely shot, perhaps something shorted on the output side?

drgeoff

Quote from: GnatGoSplat on May 06, 2022, 07:07:21 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on May 03, 2022, 07:55:11 AMAre those numbers the Status when there is nothing plugged into the OBi's PHONE jack?  No phone, no cordless base station, no extension wiring, no adaptors. Nothing.

Nothing plugged in at all.  Just ethernet and AC adapter.  Phone LED also blinking with nothing plugged into the phone jack.
Plugging anything in doesn't affect the numbers.
I did refresh every time.

I read VBAT no-parens number is supposed to be around 45V.  :(

Sounds like my Obi200 is toast.

Do these have any known components that go bad?  Not a whole lot of discrete components in them.  I'd guess the problem might be in the Si32280-FM1 chip since datasheet shows the DC-DC converter is in there.  Just guessing that's what boosts the 12V input to the higher voltage output.  Although it does seem to be boosting to 14V so the boost converter isn't completely shot, perhaps something shorted on the output side?

You didn't answer my question about connection to house wiring.  If you use house phone wiring to connect to remote phones and that house wiring is not completely and properly disconnected from external wires such as a previous telco landline service, that is an "open door" for high voltage surges such as those from direct lightning strikes or even induced by nearby strikes to enter the OBi's PHONE interface circuitry and damage it.

Lightning can also come in via the 110 Volt AC supply though if that had been the cause in your case I would expect that other items in you house would have been affected too.

If neither of the above is applicable, I've never heard of an OBi being damaged by a mere brief loss of correct power input.

Your damage may not be to the DC-DC converter part of the SLIC.  I'd suspect the analogue port for the the pins of the PHONE jack.

Sounds like you have opened the OBi200, so you might as well trace the PCB between jack and SLIC to see if there are any components such as a Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) which may have gone low resistance across the line.

GnatGoSplat

Oh, yes, it was connected to the house wiring at the time (for the last 8-years), with the wiring completely disconnected at the box from the telco.  No other devices had been added to it for over a year.

I didn't find any obvious MOV or low resistance across the pins of the RJ11.  Checked across most of the ceramic caps and didn't find any shorted.  No shorts in the diodes and transistors near the SLIC.

I don't suppose a software issue could do this?  I noticed the handsets quit detecting the line being in use while the Obi200 is booting.