News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Number, S/N, MAC Changed After Registration?

Started by priller, November 16, 2011, 04:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

priller

Ok, here's a strange one.  Hope you can follow along ....

1) I recieved a new OBi110.  The MAC, S/N and OBi Number on the device sticker match what is on the box.

2) I connected the device to the network and saw in my DHCP server that the given MAC pulled an IP address.

3) I registered the device with the **5 number provided on the dashboard.

4) The device rebooted 3 (?) times.

5) The device appeared on the dashboard and has an entirely different MAC, S/N and Obi Number than what is on the device sticker.  Huh?  FWIW, the new S/N and OBi Number both have only one digit different from the ones on the label.

6) I checked the DHCP server and there was a new address pulled from the "new" MAC that is now on the dashboard, which is also the same as when you status the OBi directly.

Everything is working normally, so there does not appear to be a problem.  

Normally, I would dismiss it as a manufacturing error where the device and box were mislabeled.  However, I can verify that at least the MAC did match until I registered the device and was then changed (please don't say the MAC address is burned in and cannot be changed, yes it can be changed).  Under what circumstance would OBi "re-flash" the configuration like this?  ???

Has anybody else seen this?

As I said, this is more of a curiosity than an operational problem.  BTW, I also have a OBi100 and did not experience this.  

Thanks