News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi212: How to test FXO Port

Started by Steve123, December 01, 2021, 11:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve123

Hi All,

I've got a new Obi212 and after a frustrating few days discovering that Google Voice has changed their port numbers, finally got Google Voice running.

I'm having no luck with the FXO port, and am beginning to wonder if it's faulty. I've got the Obi attached to a 3CX PBX as SP2, and can route calls by prefix by using:

{>(<1:>xx.):SP1},{>(<65:>xx.):LI}

In the X_InboundCallRoute for SP2. All works well for SP1 (Google Voice), however nothing sent to LI ever goes out, 3CX reports a server error and the call history is empty. Inbound calls to the FXO port don't show up in the Ohi call history either.

If I change LI -> PH in the above InboundCallRoute and attach a POTS phone, the call goes through and the phone rings.

It's beginning to look to me that the FXO port may be faulty. Is there a way to test this? Or, am I overlooking something?

drgeoff

Does the LINE LED on the 212 change from off to constantly on when you plug in the POTS line?

Does that LED flash when the POTS line has an incoming call?

If you revert the LINE InboundCallRoute to default and plug a POTS phone into the PHONE port does it ring and can you answer incoming calls on the POTS line?

Steve123

Quote from: drgeoff on December 02, 2021, 01:53:02 AM
Does the LINE LED on the 212 change from off to constantly on when you plug in the POTS line?

No. In the attached pic, it appears very dimly lit; compared the the other LED's it's not. Interestingly, note that the PHONE port is constantly on and when this picture was taken the PHONE port was empty.

Does that LED flash when the POTS line has an incoming call?

No blinking during an incoming call.

If you revert the LINE InboundCallRoute to default and plug a POTS phone into the PHONE port does it ring and can you answer incoming calls on the POTS line?

The LINE InboundCallRoute is/was at its default, PH (I'm using the InboundCallRoute on SP2 to route calls to GV or PSTN) The POTS phone does not ring if plugged into the PHONE port and I call into the LINE. Just for fun I plugged the wall line into the POTS phone to confirm it's working (it is).

drgeoff

Check that the LINE port is enabled.  Top line of the LINE port config page.  (Start at Physical Interfaces)

Are you absolutely sure that the cord between OBi LINE jack and wall jack is OK?  Try another one.  AFAIK if  the 212 is unpowered an internal relay bridges the LINE and PHONE ports.  Does the phone work when you do that?

With the POTS line plugged in, click on Status and then on Phone Status or whatever to get your version of my screenshot.  Mine is a 110 but your 212 should be similar. Do you see that 50 Volt approximately in the LINE section? (+ or - is irrelevant.)

Steve123

Quote from: drgeoff on December 02, 2021, 07:53:08 AM
Check that the LINE port is enabled.  Top line of the LINE port config page.  (Start at Physical Interfaces)

I don't see an option to enable or disable on that page.

Are you absolutely sure that the cord between OBi LINE jack and wall jack is OK?

That cord worked on the SPA-3102 I had in earlier, and just a few hours ago when I tested using the POTS phone.

AFAIK if  the 212 is unpowered an internal relay bridges the LINE and PHONE ports.  Does the phone work when you do that?

I must have missed something. Trying what exactly?

With the POTS line plugged in, click on Status and then on Phone Status or whatever to get your version of my screenshot.  Mine is a 110 but your 212 should be similar. Do you see that 50 Volt approximately in the LINE section? (+ or - is irrelevant.)

The PHONE port shows 57V in the VBAT section, the LINE section shows 0 volts for both LoopCurrent and TipRingVoltage.

drgeoff

If I untick the Enable box on the 110's LINE Port page the LED goes out but the 50 Volts on the Status page remains.  I don't have a 212 and cannot say that it would act in the same way.  Be aware that the Status page is not dynamically updated - you need to click it after the POTS line is plugged in.

You haven't reported whether a phone plugged in to the PHONE port can make/receive calls over the POTS line when the 212 is not powered.  If it does work that proves that the POTS line is getting into the 212.  if it does not work that fact doesn't really help to narrow things down.

Have you had a good look at the LINE jack to see if any of the contacts are broken/bent/shorting?

Edit:  See page 24 of https://support.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom-support/products/voice/voip-adapters/user/en/poly-obi3-obi5-ag.pdf for enabling/disabling the LINE port using the built-in IVR. Yes that document is ostensibly for OBi312 but historically the only difference between 2xx and 3xx devices is that the latter do not support GV.

Steve123

Quote from: drgeoff on December 02, 2021, 04:12:53 PM
If I untick the Enable box on the 110's LINE Port page the LED goes out but the 50 Volts on the Status page remains.  I don't have a 212 and cannot say that it would act in the same way.  Be aware that the Status page is not dynamically updated - you need to click it after the POTS line is plugged in.

The 212 doesn't have an enable box on the LINE Port page. See attached screen shot. I have confirmed the page is 'fresh' by clicking it a few times. The wall socket is always plugged into the LINE port during my testing.

You haven't reported whether a phone plugged in to the PHONE port can make/receive calls over the POTS line when the 212 is not powered.

When the 212 is unpowered, a POTS phone plugged into the PHONE port does not have a dial tone.

Have you had a good look at the LINE jack to see if any of the contacts are broken/bent/shorting?

I just did. They seem to be OK.

Edit:  See page 24 of https://support.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom-support/products/voice/voip-adapters/user/en/poly-obi3-obi5-ag.pdf for enabling/disabling the LINE port using the built-in IVR. Yes that document is ostensibly for OBi312 but historically the only difference between 2xx and 3xx devices is that the latter do not support GV.

The IVR in that documents says that ***0 -> 9X deals with the LINE port. When I try that on the 212 it reports "Invalid option"

drgeoff

Hmm. This isn't looking hopeful.  I'm almost out of ideas.  The 312 does seem a bit different.  The one thing I can be certain about is that the LINE port voltage should not show as zero.

I'm surprised about the IVR response as the manuals for both the 312 and the 110 have that 90 code. I see that the 110 guide (page 39 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf) has the reminder to press # after the 90.  That is missing from page 24 of the 312 guide, but is on page 22.  Did you do that?

A double check on the LINE port voltage status is to connect a known good cord between the PHONE and LINE jacks.

Last resort would be a complete reset to defaults.

Are you still within the warranty period?

Steve123

I'm not hopeful either. The first thing I did was a factory reset, just before starting this thread.

I connected the PHONE and LINE ports with a known working cord, and it's still 0 volts.

I just purchased the unit in November, so am under warranty. Still, it's a hassle and I was really hoping it was some kind of configuration I missed, but it's looking like a faulty FXO port.