News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

EOL for OBi 200, 202 and 212

Started by SteveInWA, December 18, 2021, 06:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: Juicer on December 20, 2023, 11:38:03 PMI have a 202 and am concerned about doomsday but don't see where I can make changes and disabling as described above. I see no option on my dashboard.
That setting is only available via the device's onboard web server.

mo832

Quote from: Taoman on December 20, 2023, 10:47:52 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 20, 2023, 10:20:54 AMIf everything is working now, you don't lose anything by setting 'Obitalk Provisioning' to 'Disabled' now.  If you don't change that setting there is the (probably extremely small) risk that the Obitalk server in its death throes somehow corrupts the settings in your OBi.
^^This^^

I've disabled everything except the OBiTALK Service. That way I can still see the connection status of my 4 trunks at a glance.

I also have 2 200's where I disabled everything and removed them from the OBiTALK dashboard. They are my backup devices and a single registration to Anveo.

"Voice Services | OBiTALK Service | Enable: (Unchecked)

Note: I did not remove the device from ObiTalk, but it says that it is Offline, so that is good."

^^^^^^
I noticed these before, and was a bit concerned about removing Obitalk service. I did not touch this one. Are there any CONS to leaving this enabled? In my estimation, if the servers are removed, you just won't be able to call Obi to Obi anymore, but with the other options disabled, it would seem that the risk of your settings being corrupted by the "death throes" scenario is eliminated. Am I correct?

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on December 31, 2023, 11:41:08 AMAre there any CONS to leaving this enabled? In my estimation, if the servers are removed, you just won't be able to call Obi to Obi anymore, but with the other options disabled, it would seem that the risk of your settings being corrupted by the "death throes" scenario is eliminated. Am I correct?
As far as I know there are no CONS and your assumptions are correct.

The OBiTALK service allows OBi to OBi communication and it shows the connection status of your trunks on the OBiTALK dashboard. Beyond that I'm not sure what it does but I think you're safe leaving it enabled.

unmesh

Quote from: nvrpayretail on November 02, 2023, 11:36:15 AMI'm just going to use an old cellphone to run the google voice app on wifi and use a bluetooth cell to landline adapter I found on Amazon. Easy solution.

Which device and is it still working?

dathbe

I'm having an issue on one of my 2 OBi200 devices where it will boot, work for maybe 30 seconds (both the web UI and the phone line), but then die.  The lights on the device still show everything is "on", but the phone line shows dead, and I cannot access the web UI.  I assume this means my box is dying.

Question 1
How much can I do to "reset" the box without losing my GV connection?  Any tips on troubleshooting?  I'm scared to do much else I will bork my whole account which has another OBi200 with functioning GV integration.

Question 2
What's the growing consensus on moving on?  I'm not attached to OBi or GV specifically, and I have a fairly simple setup with, I think, reasonable needs:
  • I strongly dislike subscription fees, so I would gladly trade off 1-time equipment cost for lower/eliminated monthly fees.
  • I need the number to ring to three locations (a hard-wired cordless phone in location A, a hard-wired cordless phone in location B, and a cell phone).  I can port the number from GV if needed.
  • I need to be able to make outgoing calls with the number coming up as my caller ID from all three.  I currently make calls through the GV app on my phone, which works fine.
  • I like visual voicemail, though I could live without that if the other criteria are met.

If there's something self-hosted I can do, that's an option as well.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Have you tried swapping the power adaptors between the two?

dathbe

No, but I have tried a second adapter (1.5 amps instead of 1, but otherwise same specs).
The two devices are not in the same place.

drgeoff

Quote from: dathbe on April 04, 2024, 11:45:49 AMNo, but I have tried a second adapter (1.5 amps instead of 1, but otherwise same specs).
The two devices are not in the same place.
Does look like internal component of the OBi is suspect. A powered OBi should give dial tone even without network cable plugged in. And the onboard web server of an OBi 200 should always be accessible.

Were the OBi200 and phone directly connected together or was there house phone wiring between them?

dathbe

Direct, though via a fairly long telephone cord. 
What's a little odd is that the internet light will go on and off if I plug/unplug the ethernet cable.  But the phone light stays on even if I unplug the phone cord. 

In another forum, someone said I should try to get certificates off the dying machine.  If anyone knows how to do that, I'd be happy to try.

dathbe

It seems that my device is in a reboot cycle.  My system time is 1/1/11 at 12am, and the uptime never shows more than a couple minutes. 

ModelName          OBi200
MACAddress   
SerialNumber   
OBiNumber   
HardwareVersion   1.4   
SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX)   
SystemTime           12:00:00 01/01/2011   
UpTime                   0 Days 0:00:12    help
CertificatesStatus   Installed   
CustomizationStatus   Generic   
PhoneBookEntries   0 Unique Name/Number Pairs   
OBiExtras                   Locked

dathbe

Update - I managed to install the 5921 firmware from obifirmware.com, and that seemed to be more stable.  I was then able to flash the uboot (6259) firmware, and finally the arrynrob (8680EX) firmware. 

Once I got the arrynrob firmware installed, I got a dial tone!!!

kallsop

Quote from: dathbe on April 04, 2024, 06:49:54 PMUpdate - I managed to install the 5921 firmware from obifirmware.com, and that seemed to be more stable.  I was then able to flash the uboot (6259) firmware, and finally the arrynrob (8680EX) firmware. 

Once I got the arrynrob firmware installed, I got a dial tone!!!

Interesting. My Obi202 is doing more or less the same, and it started around the same time as yourself. I don't believe too much in coincidences, there is something underlying. All the LED's I expect to be green are. The connected phone says "Check Tel Line". Already running 8680EX firmware. I did try to update it via the web server but it says the firmware is up to date and it won't update. The web server is hit or miss, sometimes pages don't load, and that's with an ethernet connection. Also have the wireless dongle and that is worse. Hmmm. Don't want to get too aggressive with debugging, because if the Obi202 config gets toasted, it's over. I think the EOL is happening? It's been a great ride. I'll probably keep GV and just have it linked to my wife and my cell phone #'s. Throw the landline phone away.