EOL for OBi 200, 202 and 212

Started by SteveInWA, December 18, 2021, 06:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeShmoe

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 20, 2021, 01:25:48 PM
Your OBiTALK device does now, and still will support any SIP VoIP service provider that provides open SIP credentials. Free? No. Affordable? Yes.

Given the above quote, I'm hoping someone would kindly explain to those a little less savvy why then we'd have to change from Google Voice if our "device does now, and still will support any SIP VoIP service provider that provides open SIP credentials".  Moreover, why wouldn't the potential future need of a Obi2XX firmware upgrade not be an issue for any other service provider you choose to use?

My understanding is that the Obi2XX end-of-life means no future firmware updates which would eventually render the device useless for any service provider at some point.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I just read that Google Voice doesn't support SIP.  Maybe that's the reason.

ceg3

This sounds encouraging. I arrived late to the party, but found the thread. I haven't logged in for likely two years and rarely use my GV setup, but it would be nice to keep it working. If EOL only means no support (none had for many years) but forum will still be available, it sounds as if things might not be that bleak for my OBi200 continuing to work for some time.

drgeoff

[quote author=JoeShmoe link=topic=18992.msg111238#msg111238 date=1642019134
My understanding is that the Obi2XX end-of-life means no future firmware updates which would eventually render the device useless for any service provider at some point.
[/quote]
That is a false inference.  The industry standard SIP specification is a very stable one.  In all the years I've been using ITSPs other than GV, not a single one of them has made any change which required a firmware update to any of my OBis.

SteveInWA

Quote from: JoeShmoe on January 12, 2022, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 20, 2021, 01:25:48 PMYour OBiTALK device does now, and still will support any SIP VoIP service provider that provides open SIP credentials. Free? No. Affordable? Yes.

Edited to add: I just read that Google Voice doesn't support SIP.  Maybe that's the reason.

No, Google Voice uses SIP.  But it does not use conventional SIP credentials (username/password).  It instead authorizes the device to use only the Google Voice service (not full access to your entire Google account), via OAUTH 2.0 secure tokens.

Derrick

Quote from: psuPete on December 21, 2021, 06:49:15 AM
Quote from: MSRobi on December 20, 2021, 05:57:10 PMThere are definitely advantages to old style landline.  I have a base station with 6 handsets throughout the house.  When grandma calls, any of us (wife, 3 kids, 3 cats) can pick it up and talk to her.  Call quality is still better than cell phone, but cell phone quality has noticeably improved in the last few years.

With a cell phone, I invariably leave it downstairs and when it rings, I'm invariably upstairs.

:D :D :D

Consider a base station that also has bluetooth capability.  [The landline of the base station is plugged into the OBi.]  One brand calls it "link-to-cell" --thus when my cellphone or OBi rings, it simultaneously rings all wireless handsets.  Makes life very simple.

I use a blue tooth RF set for that very reason.  However I still needed an ATA for a senior used to her number and a few strategic handsets.  I bought a Magic Jack.  I know I know.  We'll see how it works out.