News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Woman's voice says "This call is being recorded"

Started by BGood, January 02, 2022, 07:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGood

I was in the middle of an hour long weekly call with my sister yesterday when a studio-quality woman's voice came on the line which said "This call is being recorded".  This never happened before in decades of weekly calls.  The message was audible to both of us.

My sister originated the call from a Verizon cell phone to my Google Voice number which is configured on SP2 of an Obi202 with 2 lines feeding into a houshold wireless base station (Vtech DS-6151 Dect 6.0 base station) with Vtech DS-6101 wireless handsets.

I did not consciously initiate recording on the receiving side of the call and my sister claims the same on the originating side. In fact, I would have to research the Obi user guide to see if recording is possible with the Obi202.  So does anyone know where this recording intercept message may have originated?  

Honestly, I don't want to sound paranoid, but when the conversation topic segued to polite profanity relative to a well-known professional network, the call dropped.  

And no, I have never reported any UFOs.  I just would like to discover the source of the message.

Taoman

Quote from: BGood on January 02, 2022, 07:59:52 AM
So does anyone know where this recording intercept message may have originated?  

Google Voice. The reason is because of DTMF talk off. Your sister's voice may have triggered it.

Solution is to disable "Incoming call options" in your GV settings.

dircom

Also possible that one of you touched the #4 on the keypad.  You can toggle record call feature off in Incoming call options for GV settings.

BGood

Thanks for the heads-up about Obi's on-the-fly recording feature.  I had not encountered this before.

As for the call drop, in the future I'll try not to disparage Linkedin.

drgeoff

Quote from: BGood on January 02, 2022, 01:58:46 PM
Thanks for the heads-up about Obi's on-the-fly recording feature.  I had not encountered this before.

The info you were given refers to the recording facility of GV, not of your OBi.

rob613

I get this regularly, and usually when my caller is on a cell phone.  It seems to me that either cell phone static (noise on their line) or some sort of CODEC renegotiation triggers it.  Usually my side of the call turns to nothing but static noise, but the other side still hears me.
Often times a caller will accuse me of having done something to trigger this very powerful and useful feature of Google Voice (such as to keep note of details that I cannot write down where I am at the time) and refuse to call back.

It also seems to be the same people who never answer their own phone who are most offended when this happens, so one is dependent upon their return call.

Since there is no way that I am aware of for Google Voice to trigger this behavior of theirs on outbound calls from my Obi device, there is no actual solution or way to avoid it from happening until such time as Google Voice decides to address the matter.

I have been hoping that someone from Obihai / Poly, obviously with good communication with Google, could bring this matter to Google's attention.

BGood

Quote from: drgeoff on January 02, 2022, 02:16:10 PM
Quote from: BGood on January 02, 2022, 01:58:46 PM

The info you were given refers to the recording facility of GV, not of your OBi.

Thanks for the GV clarification, Steve.