News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Legacy Web features going away

Started by dircom, January 12, 2022, 10:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

You are receiving this email because you have a consumer (personal) Google Voice account and are one of the few remaining users using a legacy web feature that may be impacted as we complete the migration of all Voice users to the modern experience (which launched in 2017).

In July 2020 we posted an update indicating the Legacy Web version of Voice would soon stop receiving updates, aligned with our plans to migrate all users to the modern Voice web experience which was launched in 2017. Since then, we have brought key features from the Legacy Web version over to the modern Voice web experience including, most recently, the new and improved Custom call forwarding which launched in December 2021.

Note: These changes only apply to the consumer (personal) version of Google Voice. Google Voice for Workspace is not impacted.

Starting in mid-February 2022, the Legacy Web version of Voice will be phased out. As part of this migration, certain Legacy Web features will not carry over to voice.google.com and our mobile experiences. Full details of the upcoming changes, including all legacy features carried over to the new experience, are available on the FAQ with a brief summary below.

Features that will not carry over to the new experience:
Do Not Disturb Timer
Ring Scheduling
Settings for Carrier Call Forwarding. Carrier Call Forwarding will no longer have a setting. It will still be possible to forward calls from another carrier to your Google Voice number, however, all carrier forwarded calls from your linked number will go directly to voicemail.
Call Notes. Call Notes were removed from the Legacy Web version in 2020 and will be deleted and no longer accessible through Account Takeout after March 31st, 2022. If you want to preserve the notes you have, you must download your data before March 31st 2022. To learn more, read Remove notes from Legacy Voice.
Voicemail-only accounts. Users with Voicemail-only accounts will need to update to a Full numbered Voice account and update your carrier forwarding to use your new Google Voice number. To learn more, read Upgrade from legacy Google Voice (voicemail only).
Purchasing calling credits in non-USD currencies. Since consumer (personal) Google Voice is only available to U.S. users, by the summer of 2022 all non-USD credit balances will be automatically converted to USD when their account balance goes below 0.50 in your current non-USD currency. It will only be possible to purchase new credits in USD and auto-recharging in non-USD will be disabled. To learn more, read Buy credit to make calls.
Additionally, Call-to-Listen Voicemail Access, when turned on will require pressing "*" once your Voicemail recording starts playing. This will trigger the audio prompt that asks for your voicemail PIN which must be entered in order to listen to your voicemails.
These changes will simplify the product by removing seldom-used features and allow our teams to focus on providing the best product experience. From all of us on the Voice team, we thank you for your continued support.

The Google Voice Team

Italian

I just received that email too. What does "Voicemail-only accounts." exactly mean? Is it those lines that people created that can call out but don't have a phone number assigned or what is it exactly?

Thank you.

FlintstoneGummy

I have the exact same question as Italian. What does "voicemail-only account" mean?

dircom

Google says:  :o
Voicemail only account was one where user did not get a GV# for it and only used the account as a voicemail service (instead of using VM provided by their carrier). They can continue to use it as they wish but they have to have a GV# assigned to the account and make occasional calls using their GV# to keep the account active.

Italian

If that's really the correct interpretation of what they are saying, it means any account I have that doesn't have a number assigned to it which I use to make calls out without caller id using my Obi would be discontinued. Are we sure that's what it means?

dircom

Quote from: Italian on January 16, 2022, 10:09:38 AM
If that's really the correct interpretation of what they are saying, it means any account I have that doesn't have a number assigned to it which I use to make calls out without caller id using my Obi would be discontinued. Are we sure that's what it means?

You need to be more specific about your question. ie, what accounts are you talking about?  Checking, savings, voip? :)

Arizona480

So my scheduled "Do Not Disturb" (11pm-8am) set up in legacy is still working.  However, if I wanted to get rid of that rule that was originally in "Call Groups" with no way to access it anymore, would I just delete the forwarding number associated with that rule then add the forwarding number back?

Taoman

Quote from: Arizona480 on January 26, 2022, 09:32:34 AM
So my scheduled "Do Not Disturb" (11pm-8am) set up in legacy is still working.  However, if I wanted to get rid of that rule that was originally in "Call Groups" with no way to access it anymore, would I just delete the forwarding number associated with that rule then add the forwarding number back?
No, you would delete it from the same place you made it which is the Legacy Phones page.
You are referring to a Ring Schedule and it was never in "Call Groups."
Go to Legacy Phones page-->Edit your device-->Show Advanced Settings-->Ring Schedule

Arizona480

Ah yes!  Thanks!  So if GV Legacy goes away, I'm wondering if that ring schedule would stop or be semi-permanently fixed until the phone number is deleted then re-added?

Arizona480

For those of you who use ring schedules for GV but also use CallCentric to handle your calls, I found that you can set Call Treatments that will mimic what you were able to do with GV's Ring Schedules.  I send the calls to a bogus Extension # that I set up with no device attached to it, this will preserve the calls going to the Google Voice Mail.  You have to set them up for all 7 days of the week, but they have a duplicate feature that makes that easy.  

precht

Thanks Arizona480 -- unfortunately just GV alone with my Obi202, no Callcentric service

With the Legacy GV ring schedule going away, is there another way I can alter my ring times?

I'd like to avoid the phones ringing overnight

Arizona480

Quote from: precht on February 01, 2022, 11:07:10 PM
Thanks Arizona480 -- unfortunately just GV alone with my Obi202, no Callcentric service

With the Legacy GV ring schedule going away, is there another way I can alter my ring times?

I'd like to avoid the phones ringing overnight

You can plug your Obi202 into some sort of smart plug and set on and off times.  I'm assuming with no CC or other vendor you don't have any 911 service to worry about killing off.  Or, if you don't need your internet at night, your modem or router may already have an option to kill of the internet at specific times.

BTW, to add to my last post, the 911 callback number will still ring through your Obi device no matter what your call treatment numbers are on Call Centric.

precht

Quote from: Arizona480 on February 02, 2022, 11:17:40 AM
You can plug your Obi202 into some sort of smart plug and set on and off times.

Thanks for this suggestion. I think I saw this solution posted in these forums elsewhere, as well. My concern is the Obi device itself, being powered on/off daily like this. I would be afraid the sudden disconnection of power will damage the circuitry in due time...

Arizona480

Quote from: precht on February 02, 2022, 02:15:37 PM
Quote from: Arizona480 on February 02, 2022, 11:17:40 AM
You can plug your Obi202 into some sort of smart plug and set on and off times.

Thanks for this suggestion. I think I saw this solution posted in these forums elsewhere, as well. My concern is the Obi device itself, being powered on/off daily like this. I would be afraid the sudden disconnection of power will damage the circuitry in due time...

I've been power cycling mine daily anyway, had some issues lately. Don't think killing the power really wears it out, but there are others on here that have more expertise than I do on it. 

Lavarock7

If you have an Internet Switch (hub not a router) you might just cut the power to that instead. A $10 unit is better to cycle than a more expensive ATA.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com