News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls cut off

Started by DJCB, March 14, 2022, 09:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJCB

I have a Obi2182 configured with a Google Voice account. It is on my home internet, which has reliable connectivity and good speeds.  

Every single call I receive on that device cuts off after about 30-seconds. The call doesn't end, but the line goes dead and I can't hear anyone on the other line.

If I make the call through google voice app on my cell, I don't have this problem.

Any ideas?

Edit: I just called my Google Voice/Obi2182 line from my cell. On the Obi2182, the line goes dead and I can't hear the caller on the other end, but they can still hear me.

Edit 2: After the line goes silent, if I put the caller on hold and then resume the call, it solves the problem and (at least after another minute or so) does not go silent again.

Edit 3: I reset the expert configuration to Obitalk's default settings, and turned off any bluetooth. Still not solved. I have the same problem whether using the handset or the speakerphone.

Any ideas?

taylorgtr

I seem to have the same issue. The other side of the call audio drops after about 30 secs to 1 minute, and they can still hear me. It happens with both my 1022 and 2182. It didn't happen with my OBi202 and an analog phone. I've also tried it with the phone connected via WiFi instead of hard-wired, and the same problem exists.

It could be a problem with GV, but it doesn't care if I'm using a speakerphone or not. It doesn't happen just using it via the app on my desktop computer, and it doesn't happen with calls that get routed to my iPhone...so it's got to be something with the OBi hardware....but since it's common to two separate phones/models, I'm at a loss. Has anyone else experienced (and solved) this issue?

drgeoff

Quote from: taylorgtr on December 19, 2022, 07:37:08 AM.. so it's got to be something with the OBi hardware ..
Not necessarily the Obi hardware or Obi firmware.  The Google end of GV to OBi device is not exactly the same as the Google end of GV to other devices.  There have been previous cases of things entirely due to Google which caused problems with OBi devices but not with other endpoints.

taylorgtr

Thanks - I'm sure there's a possibility of a GV to OBi hardware problem, but wouldn't the problem be more widespread, or have a specific setting to resolve the issue? I haven't found squat....or a way to pinpoint the cause. At this point, I just bought a BT speaker phone for my iPhone, and am using WiFi calling to make sure I have a connection indoors. Is there a different VOIP desktop phone that works well with GV? (or at least doesn't have the dropping issue)?

drgeoff

Quote from: taylorgtr on December 19, 2022, 12:40:53 PMIs there a different VOIP desktop phone that works well with GV? (or at least doesn't have the dropping issue)?
There are no other IP phones or Analogue Telephone Adaptors that work with the "free" version of Google Voice.

taylorgtr

I didn't think so. I had one phone swapped out as a warranty replacement, but when it happens across all OBi VOIP phones, I would think that enough other people had run into the issue that there would be a fix, whether it's HW, firmware, or GV setting. I've had enough audio cut out that without a fix, the phones are paperweights, and I'll need to use a BT speakerphone with my iPhone instead. At least that works reliably.

nidase

Quote from: taylorgtr on December 20, 2022, 09:14:02 AMI didn't think so. I had one phone swapped out as a warranty replacement, but when it happens across all OBi VOIP phones, I would think that enough other people had run into the issue that there would be a fix, whether it's HW, firmware, or GV setting. I've had enough audio cut out that without a fix, the phones are paperweights, and I'll need to use a BT speakerphone with my iPhone instead. At least that works reliably.

I agree with you

Lavarock7

Do you have SIP ALG disabled in your router?
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com