News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Caller ID being Sanitized through CC if Screen Calls "Off" for Contacts

Started by Arizona480, January 24, 2022, 06:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arizona480

I've been getting hit with robocalls pretty hard lately with one of my Google Voice numbers.  So I turned Call Screening on and I used one of the "Custom Call Forwarding Rules" to not screen contacts.  I know contacts aren't screened anyways when they are added to contacts, however, I don't want to press "1" to answer the call on my devices all the time because sometimes the key presses don't work. 

I render the calls through Call Centric, on my dashboard, the caller ID is displayed properly even with the rule set.  However, on the landline phone caller ID itself, it says "Unknown Caller" which is what you get when you send the call directly through the Obi 202 Device and not through my CallCentric inbound number.

I don't see any options where you can set a rule to screen anyone not in your contacts, I think this was in Legacy GV, but those options are gone now. 

Any Ideas?

Taoman

Quote from: Arizona480 on January 24, 2022, 06:27:34 PM
However, on the landline phone caller ID itself, it says "Unknown Caller" which is what you get when you send the call directly through the Obi 202 Device and not through my CallCentric inbound number.

As it stands now, there is no way way I'm aware of to not have your Contacts routed directly to your OBi device using GV custom rules. It doesn't matter if your OBi device is enabled or disabled in GV settings, your Contacts will be routed directly to your OBi device. Because of this, I chose to enter my Contact names into the phone book on my phone directly so I still get name display. But if you want unknown callers and your Contacts to all be routed thru Callcentric you will need to set your InboundCallroute to {} for your GV trunk on your OBi.

Unknown callers will ring any device you have enabled. So disable all your devices (including your OBi) in GV settings and just have your Callcentric "Call forwarding number" enabled.

Turn off Call screening.

GPz1100

@Taoman

Are you sure this logic still works.  Specifying {} for x_inboundcallroute in the gv SPx slot does not forward to CC DID's for me. Instead it goes to gv voicemail.

I was able to force it to a CC extension by instead using this spX(17771231234YYY@in.callcentric.com)

Where x is the sp slot defined for callcentric and YYY is the extension defined for the obi device.

This works for defined all gv contacts when set as a custom forwarding rule in GV. For undefined contacts I see no way to force the call to forward to CC as gv never hands off the call.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on September 05, 2022, 11:15:05 AM@Taoman
Are you sure this logic still works.  Specifying {} for x_inboundcallroute in the gv SPx slot does not forward to CC DID's for me. Instead it goes to gv voicemail.
I was able to force it to a CC extension by instead using this spX(17771231234YYY@in.callcentric.com)

Hmmm. I just tested this on 2 separate GV accounts and it worked as expected.

No one has the number for my 2nd GV account so all calls are unknown and get routed directly to Callcentric. I have {} as the X_InboundCallRoute for that GV SP. When I changed it to ph then all calls rang directly thru to the OBi and to Callcentric.

On my primary GV number all calls that are Contacts get routed directly to my OBi and to Callcentric. I changed GV X_InboundCallRoute to {} and all calls from Contacts only went to Callcentric and my cell.
If I get an inbound call from an unknown number it gets routed only to Callcentric and my cell.
Quote from: GPz1100For undefined contacts I see no way to force the call to forward to CC as gv never hands off the call.
And the only thing enabled on the main GV settings page is the Callcentric forwarding number? No devices?

On my main GV settings page I only have my cell phone device and the Callcentric Call Forwarding number enabled. Since this is my default setting, all calls go to both numbers (Contacts get routed directly to OBi). On my iPhone, unknown callers are silenced and I just get a notification. On Callcentric, unknown callers are routed to my IVR while Contacts are routed directly to my CC extension. So if a Contact calls, both my CC line and my GV line ring on my OBi202.

Just to be clear, in my response to Arizona480 I said to use {} so that GV would not answer the call before Callcentric did so he would get CNAM for all callers.

When using 17771231234YYY@in.callcentric.com I assume you don't get CNAM?

EDIT:
Just saw your DSLR post. I get the same results. Call waiting works fine if it's a Contact but unknown callers get immediately routed to GV voicemail if call was initiated from OBi.
How often is this actually an issue for you or your relative?

GPz1100

^^Re: {}, were you using the custom forwarding filter (all contacts forward to CC DID) in gv when testing?  I was.  If there is no custom forwarding filter for all contacts then it does forward to CC. Of course the issue is when a call is initiated from the obi using gv. That's what breaks the call waiting.

QuoteJust to be clear, in my response to Arizona480 I said to use {} so that GV would not answer the call before Callcentric did so he would get CNAM for all callers.

When using 17771231234YYY@in.callcentric.com I assume you don't get CNAM?

This would be my desire as well, for gv to pass the call to CC so it can do all the filtering.

As for 17771231234YYY@in.callcentric.com cnam, good question. The number I was calling from is a defined contact in CC. Their system matched the forwarded number up to that entry correctly.

QuoteHow often is this actually an issue for you or your relative?

Often enough to become a concern.  I don't understand the logic gv uses for disabling call waiting when it's forwarding to another number while a gv initiated call is already in progress. That's the cause of all this. It worked properly for many years until this year. Didn't matter if a call was initiated from the obi (using gv) or received in the obi using CC.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on September 05, 2022, 05:26:25 PM^^Re: {}, were you using the custom forwarding filter (all contacts forward to CC DID) in gv when testing?  I was.  If there is no custom forwarding filter for all contacts then it does forward to CC.

Yes, I've got custom call forwarding rule for All Contacts to forward to CC. Haven't changed that rule since it became available.
Not sure what you mean by last sentence. If there is no custom forwarding filter for all contacts then "what" does forward to CC?

GPz1100

If there is no custom forwarding rule - just the one (single) forwarding number on the main settings page. It will then forward similarly to the CC DID so long as a gv call did not originate from the obi.

Google needs to fix these bugs so forwarding works properly for only the enabled devices or forwarding numbers. There is no reason why it should forward to a gv device (ie obi) if only a forwarding number is enabled in the custom rules.

Taoman

Quote from: GPz1100 on September 05, 2022, 07:37:19 PMThere is no reason why it should forward to a gv device (ie obi) if only a forwarding number is enabled in the custom rules.

Agreed. I really do not understand this limitation.