News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Mitel 5330E *NO REG* - Everything Works

Started by CYBWNY, January 30, 2022, 09:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYBWNY

After several hours tinkering with recycled Mitel 5330E and Mitel 5304 phones I was finally able to get them setup with my OBi212 and Google Voice.  Both make and receive calls just fine but they constantly flash *NO REG* on the display.  I know that I should just walk away knowing that it's working but before I do I thought I'd reach out to the experts to see if anyone has any ideas.

drgeoff

Quote from: CYBWNY on January 30, 2022, 09:24:22 AM
After several hours tinkering with recycled Mitel 5330E and Mitel 5304 phones I was finally able to get them setup with my OBi212 and Google Voice.  Both make and receive calls just fine but they constantly flash *NO REG* on the display.  I know that I should just walk away knowing that it's working but before I do I thought I'd reach out to the experts to see if anyone has any ideas.
The Admin Guide for the 202 (https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf) dated 2013 covers how it can act as a SIP registrar.  That facility is used in the tutorial in the attachment.  However at some point an updated firmware seemed to cause it not to work, at least for some phones.  AFAIK this has never been addressed by Obihai/Poly.  (And the tutorial was removed from the Downloads section here ages ago.)

I do not have a 212 (and given the recent EOL statement it is now unlikely that I ever will) so I don't know if its menu purports to also offer that feature.

CYBWNY

drgeoff,

Thank you for your reply.  I've been referencing OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf for several years, it is a great basic tutorial.  I've also referenced the OBiDeviceAdminGuide before.  I find it to be one of the most poorly written guides of all time but after digging through it and jumping from section to section and back again to piece together a concept it is generally pretty helpful as well.

I only have one OBi212 and only use it in the lab.  I have a few 202s and 200s setup at different sites.  Honestly, for my purposes, I've never used ph2 on the 202 or lp1 on the 212 so in my experience I have found no difference in the configuration of the 212 or the 202.  The 202 is so much more widely used that I often find myself referencing information for the 202 whenever I'm playing with the 212 in the lab.

For production service, I have typically used new Yealink hardware and have not had any issues with them.  When they connect to the OBi I see "Registration Not Required;local_client=10.0.0.xxx:50xx" in the SPn Service Status.  It's different for the Mitel, all I see is "Registration Not Required", even when a call is in progress and CallState indicates that there are active calls.

Using the basic concepts in OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf I was able to get everything for a single Mitel SIP extension working.  The *NO REG* flashing annoyance appeared at that time but I decided to ignore it for the time being.  My plan was to test multiple extensions registered with SP3.  To make that work I had to make the following changes to the OBi configuration.

ITSP_C/ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1
SP3/X_Proxy = no
SP1/X_InboundCallRoute = {ph,sp3(1000@10.0.0.xxx:50xx),sp3(1000@10.0.0.xxx:50xx)}

That's gotten me to where I am now, multiple Mitel phones registering(?) with the same credentials to SP3.  All ring and all can answer an incoming call (first come first served) and all can call out.  In fact, out of curiosity, I tried making seperate calls from two extensions (and even one phone with two lines configured and connected to SP3) and it worked.  That led to testing if I could make a call from a second extension after answering a call on another.  This is interesting, it seems that I am able to make and/or receive simultaneous calls using the same GV number.

So, the only issue is this nagging, blinking *NO REG* displayed on the phone.  I'm not sure that if it's intended to be an error message, a warning, or just for informational purposes.  I can't really find much documentation on it and the few cases where I found forum threads referencing it they were unable to make or receive calls.  I guess since it seems to be working that I am going to just move on to the next thing.

Next up, trying to call other sp3(1000@10.0.0.xxx:50xx) extensions directly.  Maybe it can be accomplished with SP3/X_InboundCallRoutes.