News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie question - physical connection.

Started by glan, February 21, 2011, 03:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glan

Just got an OBi110 box because it seems promising for my home telephony project.
Here is my current setup - I have a separate wire running from NID (phone box outside of the house) to my DSL modem. I have DSL filter installed inside the NID and home phone wiring is connected trough that filter in the NID.

I can't find it in documentation - but some posts on feature request forums suggests, that I can do the following:
1) Cut my home phone wiring from NID (phone box outside of the house)
2) Connect OBi110 phone port into hose phone wiring.

If I can do this - all phones connected to outlets in the house will go through OBi110 box.

Is it OK to do this or it will damage OBi110 box?
It looks like it should handle at least 5 phones on the phone port, but that is stated in feature request forum only.

Thanks.

MichiganTelephone

I suggest you take a look at How to Distribute VoIP Throughout a Home and pay particular attention to the section, "A DSL alternative" (about two-thirds of the way down the page).  You'll still need to have a connection from your PSTN line to your DSL modem but you want to make sure that the pair that you connect to the Phone port of your OBi does not have any voltage at all on it from the telephone company, otherwise you could damage your device.

I've also read that the OBi will support 5 REN (not all phones consume 1 REN; there should be a label on each phone showing the REN value unless it's very old).  That is why they had to use a 12 volt power supply rather than a 5 volt one.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.