News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Add devices

Started by maynor2022, May 15, 2022, 11:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maynor2022

I got 2 brand new Polycom 300 and 2 brand new Polycom 302 and can't add device to web page it times out. Has anyone having this much trouble adding devices.

arshi

Quote from: maynor2022 on May 15, 2022, 11:16:34 AMI got 2 brand new Polycom 300 and 2 brand new Polycom 302 and can't add device to web page it times out. Has anyone having this much trouble adding devices.
After a power outage I got  "time/date out of sync" message.  I unplugged the power from the back of the phone, counted to 10 and plugged it back in.  The phone reset, took about 1 minuted, and it was fixed

drgeoff

Quote from: maynor2022 on May 15, 2022, 11:16:34 AMI got 2 brand new Polycom 300 and 2 brand new Polycom 302 and can't add device to web page it times out. Has anyone having this much trouble adding devices.
Where did you get these device from?  OBi/Poly 3xx devices are more often purchased in bulk by Internet Telephony Service Providers who provide them as locked (to their service) devices to their customers.  These cannot be added to the Obitalk portal.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on December 16, 2023, 04:20:58 AM
Where did you get these device from?  OBi/Poly 3xx devices are more often purchased in bulk by Internet Telephony Service Providers who provide them as locked (to their service) devices to their customers.  These cannot be added to the Obitalk portal.

Well, that post was over a year ago, and at that time, it was possible to buy the devices from a couple of online resellers who cater to system integrators.  It's moot, since those devices don't work with consumer Google Voice and adding them to the portal serves no useful purpose.  It's also moot because they have been discontinued, and the replacement products are brand new; the Poly ATA 400 and 402.

Trying to find any product sheet or similar marketing information on the new models seems impossible at the moment; I suspect they just haven't gotten around to updating the product information yet.

The new ATAs do work with the business version of Google Voice for Workspace domain customers.

videobruce

Why doesn't someone just delete these spam posts and delete that member account? Wouldn't that be easier then continuously replying to them?  ;)
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

Taoman

Quote from: videobruce on December 23, 2023, 06:15:05 AMWhy doesn't someone just delete these spam posts and delete that member account? Wouldn't that be easier then continuously replying to them?  ;)

And who exactly might that "someone" be? There is no Moderator in this forum. Look in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. There is still a "News:" notice from early September. HP/Poly/OBi doesn't care about this forum or what happens in it.

Quote from: videobruce on December 23, 2023, 06:15:05 AMWouldn't that be easier then continuously replying to them?

Brilliant! Can't imagine why no one has ever thought of that before.  ::)

videobruce

You don't have to be sarcastic about it. Uncalled for and unwarranted.

I wasn't aware of the lack of moderators, never encountered that before with the couple dozen of other forums I belong to, most over 10 years or so.

Taoman

Quote from: videobruce on December 23, 2023, 07:28:09 AMUncalled for and unwarranted.

Actually, for someone with over 100 posts on this forum I think it is warranted.

Common sense should have told you if there was a better way we would have done it long ago.

drgeoff

That September was the one in 2022.  The whole Obihai operation appears to have been running on autopilot for ages.  Looks like there was no one around to turn off the big switch last Monday.

videobruce

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 08:43:08 AM
Quote from: videobruce on December 23, 2023, 07:28:09 AMUncalled for and unwarranted.
Actually, for someone with over 100 posts on this forum I think it is warranted.
Common sense should have told you if there was a better way we would have done it long ago.
So, if I only had 99 then it wouldn't be warranted?
Tell me are you always that obnoxious and elitist and does it come naturally? Or does it come with the 1600 posts?  ::)

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 08:57:41 AMLooks like there was no one around to turn off the big switch last Monday.
I think they've done what they're going to do. The OBi Expert icon is gone from the dashboard and also configuration is no longer available when clicking on blue gear icon. You can only modify your OBi device locally.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 09:42:53 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 08:57:41 AMLooks like there was no one around to turn off the big switch last Monday.
I think they've done what they're going to do. The OBi Expert icon is gone from the dashboard and also configuration is no longer available when clicking on blue gear icon. You can only modify your OBi device locally.
I wonder when that happened.  I had been glancing at my dashboard almost every day and hadn't noticed. I cannot work out what determined which devices lost the Expert mode icon.dashboard.png

drgeoff

My phone is on the OBi110.  My GV number is configured on the OBi200.  I call on the GV number using the Obitalk network to link the two OBis. That is still working as I type this.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 11:32:21 AMI cannot work out what determined which devices lost the Expert mode icon.

I assume it's the 2xx series? But then I don't understand why your OBi1xx devices still apparently have the Expert mode icon? Does Expert mode work with your OBi1xx devices?

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 11:44:20 AMMy phone is on the OBi110.  My GV number is configured on the OBi200.  I call on the GV number using the Obitalk network to link the two OBis. That is still working as I type this.

I "assume" the OBiTALK network will continue to work as long as the OBiTALK service is still enabled on an OBi? I think I remember you or azrobert once having me test OBi to OBi connection when both devices were not added to the OBi dashboard. It worked fine.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 12:14:18 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 11:32:21 AMI cannot work out what determined which devices lost the Expert mode icon.

I assume it's the 2xx series? But then I don't understand why your OBi1xx devices still apparently have the Expert mode icon? Does Expert mode work with your OBi1xx devices?
All my OBis except the OBi100 which is in Japan have Obitalk Provisioning disabled.  Expert mode has not been able to configure the 100 for many months.  I could change the settings and they would appear to have been saved on the portal but not actioned on the 100.

What is more puzzling is that the 1032 still has the Expert mode icon.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 12:19:57 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 11:44:20 AMMy phone is on the OBi110.  My GV number is configured on the OBi200.  I call on the GV number using the Obitalk network to link the two OBis. That is still working as I type this.

I "assume" the OBiTALK network will continue to work as long as the OBiTALK service is still enabled on an OBi? I think I remember you or azrobert once having me test OBi to OBi connection when both devices were not added to the OBi dashboard. It worked fine.
Devices could always use the OBitalk network (**9 prefix to OBi number) without being added to a dashboard.  The Quick Start Guides in the box always advised calling the echo test **9 222 222 222 before adding to dashboard.

But calls on the Obitalk network do require assistance from Obitalk server(s).  Even if the SIP invitation (ie instruction for remote OBi to ring its phone) and the voice data were direct from OBi to OBi the calling OBi would need to know the IP address of the called OBi. (How else could the invitation be routed to a specific OBi?) That can only be accomplished by each OBi communicating regularly with some server which maintains a directory how to reach each OBi device. (Whether added to a dashboard or not). If that server is terminated, calls over the Obitalk network cannot happen.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 02:01:15 PMWhat is more puzzling is that the 1032 still has the Expert mode icon.

I realize the 1032 is EOL but the EOL link/message at the top of OBiTALK portal page only mentions the 2xx series.

Are you aware of anywhere it explicitly says the OBi 1xxx series will have provisioning disabled on the OBiTALK portal on December 18th?

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 02:18:37 PMBut calls on the Obitalk network do require assistance from Obitalk server(s).

Agreed. But if you read the EOL notice for only the restrictions it explicitly mentions the OBiTALK Service may continue to work for the 2xx series. They have already done what the EOL notice said they would do...... at least from my vantage point.

Isn't the OBiTALK service still working for your OBi1xx devices that are EOL including the one in Japan?

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 02:20:52 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 02:01:15 PMWhat is more puzzling is that the 1032 still has the Expert mode icon.

I realize the 1032 is EOL but the EOL link/message at the top of OBiTALK portal page only mentions the 2xx series.

Are you aware of anywhere it explicitly says the OBi 1xxx series will have provisioning disabled on the OBiTALK portal on December 18th?
No, I'm not aware of any such explicit notice.  But I cannot think what HP/Poly gains by disabling the portal for 2xx devices but keeping it running for 10xx and 20xx phones.