News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call routing - need some help.

Started by glan, February 21, 2011, 03:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glan

I just got OBi110 box. I want to set it up in a way which is not configurable from OBiTalk portal.
Reading documentation - it seems that I can do it - by some help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently switched my DSL provider to Sonic.net fusion package and a part of it is land line service.
I want to part away from ATT land line service I have on the second phone line.
It looks like I can port my ATT phone number to VoIP provider (like voip.ms)

However I'm not ready to part with land line phone service completely.

So here is what I want to do - but I'm not sure how to do it.
Let's divide all outgoing calls into following classes:
1) Emergency (911) or some other service calls (411?)
2) Local 7 digit calls
3) Nationwide calls (1+10 digits)
4) Ideally - I would like to divide this group to per country list  with some default, but just an international group it would work for me as well - calls starting with 011+number.

I'm complete newbie in VoIP so I might be wrong, but I think that I can do the following using digit maps:
1) Outgoing calls from group 1, 2 and possibly 3 are routed through PSTN.
2) International calls are routed through VoIP provider 1.
3) As a bonus question - some international calls (to some country codes) are routed through VoIP provider 2 and all other international calls are routed through VoIP provider 1.

Any suggestions on how I can do this set-up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MichiganTelephone

You might want to take a look at this thread:

Setup OutboundCallRoute with a pots line and Google Voice for day to day use

You CAN do what you want (I think) but first you'd have to decide exactly how you want to route calls — that is, what routes you want to use.  For example, are all calls in your area code local calls?  If not then you need to know exactly which exchanges are local (the Local Calling Guide can often help in that regard, but they are not 100% accurate).  When you say "Nationwide Calls" do you mean the USA and Canada and the Caribbean, or just the USA (and are any states/territories to be excluded)?  Point is that call routing can get pretty tricky if you want really fine control, and one thing I don't know is if there is a character limit on digit maps (I suppose there probably is, but I don't know what it is).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

for an example of how "tricky" it can get, see this thread.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=161.0

the easy way out, and the basic setup until you get your custom call routing in place, is to leave the pstn line as the default line for outgoing calls. set up 7 digit dialing on the LINE.

press **1 when you want to place calls on sp1, & **2 to place calls on sp2.

They made it east to use 7 digit dialing on the sip lines (just check the box). I know the digit map setting to manualy setup 7 digit dialing on the sip lines, don't know if it is the same for the LINE.

digit map setting for 7 digit dialing on sip line, you might try it on the LINE also.
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1814>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|xx.) replace 814 with your area code for local calls. You can still dial 10 digits with 7 digit dialing in place on the same line

from the Obi setup wizard > physical interfaces > line port > digit map (2nd from top)