News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Looks like today is the day my OBI200 quit working- Can't configure Google Voice

Started by Cut-Throat, March 08, 2024, 05:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut-Throat

Has the end of Life finally been reached?  --- Anyone have any further information?

drgeoff

Quote from: Cut-Throat on March 08, 2024, 05:09:05 AMHas the end of Life finally been reached?  --- Anyone have any further information?
I made a successful GV call immediately before typing this.

Can you reach the echo test number? **9 222 222 222

Cut-Throat

Quote from: drgeoff on March 08, 2024, 05:18:35 AM
Quote from: Cut-Throat on March 08, 2024, 05:09:05 AMHas the end of Life finally been reached?  --- Anyone have any further information?
I made a successful GV call immediately before typing this.

Can you reach the echo test number? **9 222 222 222

No, I noticed my Phone was not working and it when I went to my Obitalk dashboard. It indicated that the status was offline. I tried to connect again to my Google Voice Account and it went through all the motions, as before. But the Status stays at 'Configuring'. Never Connects -- Which has never happened in about 8 years of ownership. My google voice number is working when I call it from a working phone...

drgeoff

Looks like the original fault was not with the GV config.  Your attempt to reconfigure GV may have done more harm than good.  Even to the extent that GV will never be working on your Obi200 again.

The Obitalk network which is used for **9 calls is working for me.  Until you can reach the echo test server you will get nowhere with GV.  Report in detail what happens when you dial **9 222 222 222.

Cut-Throat

When dialing **9222 222 222 - I get "Network Status IP address not available - Please Review at K Q reason 00"

I reconfigured GV Voice just 2 weeks ago and it worked fine. As an Aside How else was I supposed to get Google Voice Connected when the initial Problem was that it was 'Offline' ?  ---

BTW - I only used this device when I'm away for the winter, and I have to reconfigure GV Voice every year to get it working. So, I'm very familiar with the procedure. And they have indicated that the End of Life would be December 2023 --- So maybe it will happen to yourself shortly.....

Cut-Throat

I decided to try one more thing..... I unplugged the power from my OBI200 and after it cycled up my OBI200 Connected to Google Voice.... So, it's all working.....

It may be End of Life someday, but not today...... At least I've got alternatives now with WiFi Calling (which works pretty well).

drgeoff

It looks like you did not realise the difference between the OBi200 not being "connected" to GV and your OBi not being connected to the internet.  The two are not the same.  Some ways of knowing if the latter is the case.  One is the echo number test.  That is a good indicator of whether the OBi can reach the internet or not. 
 Second is to dial ***1 and listen to the network status message. Third indicator is the dot on the device line on your dashboard.  That will be green if the portal is in contact with the OBi, ie the OBi is on-line.  If that dot is grey then OBi and portal are not in contact.  If an OBi is off-line according to any of those three methods never fiddle with the Service Provider settings.

The most likely explanation of your situation is that both your OBi200 and your router suffered a power outage.  Most routers are much slower to reboot than an OBi.  When power came back the OBi rebooted and asked the router for IP parameters.  IP address, gateway and DNS.  The router was slower to reboot and did not respond.  By the time the router was able to respond the OBi had given up and stopped asking. Thus it didn't have the correct parameters to connect to your router, never mind get beyond it to the internet.

videobruce

FWIW; I just tried that "test number" and it produced and dead line, no audio response. I disconnected and re-connected, still nothing no nothing.
Then the ATA (Obi202) re-booted and did return, both line thank goodness. No idea what that was about.

Any ideas what that was about??
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !